Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* ~** ThemeParks megathread **~**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

They're making a fairly big deal of this being their 25th anniversary. Plenty of rides were closed last year as they wanted pretty much everything up and running this year so I'd say you'd be alright

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 margoroux

different method of transportaion options are available to ride from charles de gaulle to disneyland.

cheap disneyland transfer option is travel by RER normal train service. no direct train runs between Charles de Gaulle to Disneyland Paris.
    RER Train B from CDG AIRPORT to Châtelet - Les Halles STATION in Paris. Then take RER Train line A direct from Paris to Disneyland Paris. Travel time 85 minutes. one way train ticket cost around 16 euro.

Quick transportation option is Travel by TGV train, direct TGV train service available from CDG airport terminal 2 station to Marne la Vallée chessy station. the disneyland station is located just front of the MAIN DISNEY park.
    travel time12 minutes, one way train ticket cost 20 euro.

there are number of companies offer private transfer service from charles de Gaulle to Disneyland Paris.
    DLP operates big Magical shuttle Bus service from the airport to the disneyland paris. the magical shuttle bus run daily from the airport .
    total cost around 23 euro. travelk time 45 mminutes.

private taxi and transfers available.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Did both....once using the metro and 2nd time using a private taxi
    2nd option every time for me
    Book in advance and they will wait for you
    We got a VW Caravelle pick us up and drop last time, really nice company. Had a DVD player with kids movies in the back row for the kids aswell. think 125eur all in for both journeys but well worth it especially with the kids
    The metro to/from CDG to ED is hard going with kids and luggage
    InterServicePrestige is the company name http://www.isprestige.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lunalex

Hi all wondering what is the best age to take my two kids one is 3 and one is 6 also which resort is the best to stay in the Disney land resort

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's Disney World in Florida ;)

I'd wait until your youngest is a little bit older, a lot of the rides have height and/or age restrictions. http://www.bestoforlando.com/articles/can-you-ride-check-walt-disney-worlds-height-requirements/ Having someone wait with a child that's too small and then possibly queue to actually do the ride can make the day very long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 lunalex

athtrasna wrote: »
    It's Disney World in Florida ;)

I'd wait until your youngest is a little bit older, a lot of the rides have height and/or age restrictions. http://www.bestoforlando.com/articles/can-you-ride-check-walt-disney-worlds-height-requirements/ Having someone wait with a child that's too small and then possibly queue to actually do the ride can make the day very long.

Thanks athtrasna... Sorry its Disney World!!

Yeah i thought 3 is a little young i want the timing to be right because for us this will be a holiday o a lifetime as we are from Ireland

Thanks for your advise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Wellyd

lunalex wrote: »
    Hi all wondering what is the best age to take my two kids one is 3 and one is 6 also which resort is the best to stay in the Disney land resort

Thanks

I think 3 is too young because they just won't remember it. It's an expensive trip so you really want them to. You're never too old for your first trip to Disneyworld! (I was 27 last year when I finally got there and hysterically burst into tears with excitement after about 5 minutes!) In fact I think it's better to be a bit older. Disney is a big undertaking and the days can be very long if you want to get everything done. Also bear in mind the time of year you're going to visit because I was there in July last year and temperatures were 38/39 degrees most days. It was an effort to keep myself and my boyfriend hydrated so just imagine how quickly children would dehydrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Our youngest was 6 when she first went, it was a good age for her, she was big into princesses at the time, so I think 6 upwards is ok for Disney World, we flew out on Paddy's Day that year, temps in the low 80's but humidity was low so great weather, we've been a couple of times in mid October, also great weather, June, July & August will be very busy, hot & humid, Easter & Christmas also very busy

Make sure you buy tickets for World not Land if going to Orlando because that could be an expensive mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

We brought our little one to Disneyland Paris when she was 5 as a sort of test for Disney World. Didn't want to spend *all* that money for it to be too much

She loved it so we're heading to Orlando this year (she's 7)

I think any age can do it but 5 and over get the best from it

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tuesday13

Anyone with experience any idea what the weather would be like in Duinrell on the first week of August? or how likely it is to get good weather around this time. I think it is generally in the 20s but just not sure how likely poorer weather could be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Damien360

Tuesday13 wrote: »
    Anyone with experience any idea what the weather would be like in Duinrell on the first week of August? or how likely it is to get good weather around this time. I think it is generally in the 20s but just not sure how likely poorer weather could be

We were there in July last year. Going again in July this year. Nice place. Hire bikes for everyone but they are not cheap. Hired a car and it was a waste. Same price as 4 bikes for week. Just used it for airport to site and back out again. As for weather, it can be hit and miss. Drizzly rain some days but not cold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Baybay

Firstly, it's been a while since we were there so there may be more relevant information but we stayed in one of the park hotels & the best bit about that is that some the characters were there to welcome us on arrival so there were plenty of photo opportunities etc. Lots of 7yo excitement!
    When we were there, it wasn't the busiest time so queues were minimal but friends have said the fast track tickets were well worth the added expense. I'm guessing these are still an option.
    We went to the attractions that were furthest away from the entrance first. They were a little less busy.
    And do have a spin or two on the tea cups! Still my absolute favourites!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

We've been twice before and are looking to go again later this year.

Accommodation wise we've booked both direct with Disney & via Breakaway in Dublin. Pricing this year there is very little difference between booking direct or through an agent.

Previous threads here and elsewhere have suggested trying to book through disneylandparis.fr but we have found the French site to be significantly more expensive so far.

Hotels we've stayed in have always been on park (Santa Fé & New York). You can use free Fastrack one ride at a time if you don't mind picking a slot and going back to the ride IIRC or pay for Fastrack that you can use at any time. Some rides are excluded though AFAIK.

If you get the half board offer it might be worth considering for budgeting and convenience but it's unlikely to save you much if any money. Most counter service restaurants are €9 (kids) to €15 (adults) for a meal deal. All you can eat buffets range from €16.50-18 (kids) and €29-35 (adults).

McDonalds prices we have found to be roughly on a par with here. Slightly more expensive but not exhorbitantly so.

You also have the option of the "fancier" places like Rainforest Café or Planet Hollywood which might be nice for a birthday treat although one of the Disney restaurants with character dining might be better for a 7 year old. You can also prebook a birthday cake for €29.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I need some general and specific advice.

I am driving from Oklahoma to Austin on Monday which is just over 5 hours. I want to stop in the middle for a while and I have two options for activities in Arlington Texas. The Cowboys Stadium or Six Flags over Texas.

Firstly generally do you think hitting up some large rollercoasters in a theme park is too exhausting and time consuming to do as a "break" in a long drive, and is popping into 6 flags for 2 or 3 hours instead of a whole day a waste.

Secondly is 6 flags over Texas an unmissable park, this might be my last time in Arlington for a while...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

Hi, can anyone recommend a water park for families in the Algarve?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Boggy Turf wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone recommend a water park for families in the Algarve?
    Aquashow and Zoomarine are both good for a day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭mayo pixiebell

Hi guys,

Hoping to book Disney Land Paris for next march and stay in the Newport Bay hotel, just looking for feed back if anyone has stayed there or would you recommend any other one?

Also has anyone included the meal deals, full board? if so, is it worth it???

Another quick question...if you include food with your package roughly how much spending money would you need per day? 2 adults and 3 kids?

Thanks in advance... (first family holiday and im clueless) ;)

MP

Hi guys,

Hoping to book Disney Land Paris for next march and stay in the Newport Bay hotel, just looking for feed back if anyone has stayed there or would you recommend any other one?

Also has anyone included the meal deals, full board? if so, is it worth it???

Another quick question...if you include food with your package roughly how much spending money would you need per day? 2 adults and 3 kids?

Thanks in advance... (first family holiday and im clueless) ;)

MP

Have only stayed in the Santa Fé and the New York hotels so cannot comment on the Newport Bay but it does look nice. We preferred the New York to the Santa Fé and the New York is one of the closest hotels to the park.

What I can tell you is that the Newport Bay is close enough to the park entrance.

You'll spend so little time in your hotel that it really won't matter how good the hotel is once the beds are comfortable.

You will have a ball wherever you stay.

Common opinion on HB & FB is that it doesn't necessarily save you a huge amount but it does mean that you won't need to budget for meals in advance.

Children are inevitably going to want treats and you'll also have to run the gauntlet through the shopping arcade every time you go into the park so it could get expensive. Maybe allow €100 a day?

fdevine wrote: »
    Have only stayed in the Santa Fé and the New York hotels so cannot comment on the Newport Bay but it does look nice. We preferred the New York to the Santa Fé and the New York is one of the closest hotels to the park.

What I can tell you is that the Newport Bay is close enough to the park entrance.

You'll spend so little time in your hotel that it really won't matter how good the hotel is once the beds are comfortable.

You will have a ball wherever you stay.

Common opinion on HB & FB is that it doesn't necessarily save you a huge amount but it does mean that you won't need to budget for meals in advance.

Children are inevitably going to want treats and you'll also have to run the gauntlet through the shopping arcade every time you go into the park so it could get expensive. Maybe allow €100 a day?

The New York was another one that I was looking at also. I think it's just more to have the food and all sorted and then I know what ever money I bring that it can be for treats... I'm so excited to book it. Can't tell my kids til it is closer.

you went back for a second trip so you must have really enjoyed it 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

About €100 should be plenty. There is a "Kildare village" nearby with a large supermarket there. I went there the first day and got loaded up with rolls, bottles of water, pringles etc and we had a picnic in there....saved paying a fortune and queueing for ages!!

The New York is closer to the park entrance by maybe a five minute walk. They're both around the lake.

As mfceiling posted the Val d'Europe centre is nearby (one stop away on the train). Shopping center with supermarket, food court, aquarium & designer village.

Even if you're going with meals included you might want to pick up some snacks & drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

have stayed in santa fe but ate in the newport bay. both are a short walk to the park. new york is slightly closer. Newport bay restaurant is more expensive and you will end up paying for a few extras if you eat there. We got the meal option and it was good but you need to book in advance to get the nicer places. Turn up early for breakfast if you don't want or queue. Beer is expensive so if you like a few drinks you will need a hundred or so extra spending money. Spending requirement all depends on how much tat you pick up when over there but with a well planned meal plan you could get away with 50 or so for food per day. Be sure to note the times and places you can use your snack vouchers and also see what places include drinks with the set meals. One other thing - in places like the steakhouse be sure to order the meals that are covered on your plan - they "encourage" you to order off parts of the menu that are not covered on most plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Have stayed in the Santa Fe which is quite basic but all you REALLY do is sleep there. However, if you wanted to save about 50% on your hotel bill & stay in a non Disney property (free shuttle every 20 minutes & is about 15 minutes away from the park), I wholeheartedly recommend the "Explorers Hotel" Fantastic facilities for families including large family rooms with bunks etc that sleep 6 (santa fe is only 4) and an absolutely fantastic pool area with slides etc. There's also great food facilities on site.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Here we go

OU812 wrote: »
    Have stayed in the Santa Fe which is quite basic but all you REALLY do is sleep there. However, if you wanted to save about 50% on your hotel bill & stay in a non Disney property (free shuttle every 20 minutes & is about 15 minutes away from the park), I wholeheartedly recommend the "Explorers Hotel" Fantastic facilities for families including large family rooms with bunks etc that sleep 6 (santa fe is only 4) and an absolutely fantastic pool area with slides etc. There's also great food facilities on site.

Explorers is great large swimming pool with kids slides a ballzone room and pizza made fresh I'd say the busses are even more regular then 20 mins if kids are a bit younger maybe magic Circus same area as explorers a for money it's hard to say there's shops everywhere so be carefull as you won't see it go hope you'd have a great time the kids will love it use fast pass as much as possible and use there Q already system if two adults are with a child and baby or a child who didn't want to get on they let you on at the other end of the ride after your family get off as they have already Qued for you I'm sure if you ask staff at start of the Q they can explain it better

For us (3 >18 & 2 <18) the Explorers Hotel is DOUBLE the price of Davy Crockett Ranch priced for early November. Other than taking two rooms in another hotel our options are limited. The difference of €1000+ in our case will more or less cover flights, car hire & spending money.

Explorers may work out cheaper for some when compared with the on site hotels depending on numbers going.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I'm looking for anyone's experiences of using a disability pass in DLP. It's many years since I've used it. What are the costs involved and is it possible to buy a 2/3 day entrance ticket whilst using a disability pass.
    Also what exactly should I bring with me as evidence of disability.
    Many thanks
    Odyssey

Thanks so much for all the replies and some great tips here too!! It's going to be a once in a life time for us so I just want to be well prepared for the extra expenses to avoid disappointed faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Have stayed in New York and sequoia. Preferred sequoia but as others have said they're all fine.

I wouldn't do full board. Dinner is meh. Breakfast buffet was not bad in sequoia.

My only advice is try and avoid the weekends there if you can. The queues ruined it for me and are very tough with small kids.

• Advertisement

AlanG wrote: »
    have stayed in santa fe but ate in the newport bay. both are a short walk to the park. new york is slightly closer. Newport bay restaurant is more expensive and you will end up paying for a few extras if you eat there. We got the meal option and it was good but you need to book in advance to get the nicer places. Turn up early for breakfast if you don't want or queue. Beer is expensive so if you like a few drinks you will need a hundred or so extra spending money. Spending requirement all depends on how much tat you pick up when over there but with a well planned meal plan you could get away with 50 or so for food per day. Be sure to note the times and places you can use your snack vouchers and also see what places include drinks with the set meals. One other thing - in places like the steakhouse be sure to order the meals that are covered on your plan - they "encourage" you to order off parts of the menu that are not covered on most plans.

How do you know when and where u can eat?? Will it be on the voucher?? I have downloaded the app (early I know) so I wonder would that have it

Advertisement