Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia Stage 16 – May 27th, Ponte di Legno-Val Martello **Unmasked Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Nico and Philip finished 33rd & 34th.

26 mins back, and both will probably move up in GC!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

retalivity wrote: »

The come-back is ON! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

retalivity wrote: »

Nico did alot of work on the descent & flat to try & catch Quintana group

Probably finished together cos they were bartering over used cars :D

http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Giro_d_Italia_2014_Stage_16_Val_MartelloMartelltal

The bus has arrived, 44'07 down. With a healthy contingent of Italian riders aboard, no danger of anyone of them being booted :)

@ProCyclingStats

Still missing:
    Arnaud Courteille
    Daniele Colli
    Alessandro Petacchi
    Mauro Finetto
    Bjorn Thurau
    Thomas Dekker
    Michele Scarponi (DNF?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

CX holding its own for 23rd place today.

Allez Francis!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Hesjedal lost three minutes in the opening TTT - excluding that result he could be somewhere on the podium.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Top ride by Ben Swift to be 25th today, 17:43 back.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

letape wrote: »
    Hesjedal lost three minutes in the opening TTT - excluding that result he could be somewhere on the podium.

Don't be blaming Dan Martin - ye won't be winning many friends around here ;-)

blobbie wrote: »
    Don't be blaming Dan Martin - ye won't be winning many friends around here ;-)

It would have been interesting if he had been there to ride today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭circler

That was some ride by Hesjedal. After the horrible start he had it would be some achievement to make the podium. Getting ahead of myself, but I think the climbing TT on Friday will be pretty exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

No way Ryder is 72kg..my arm is bigger than his leg! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Given how prone Dan is to falling off his bike, and to picking up colds/viruses .... it's probably for the best that he wasn't taking part in this stage! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I saw him in the Garmin car giving bottles to Ryder. Nothing wrong with his collarbone :-)

Zyzz wrote: »
    No way Ryder is 72kg..my arm is bigger than his leg! :pac:

But he is well over 6 foot so its possible.....however I think he is probably lighter since that measure was taken

Great ride by him today ......so impressive ....he could have given up at any time but he dug deep and never gave in....what I love ot see ...guts

Pierre Rolland could be on podium but for time he lost in ITT

Looks like the fight is for 2nd & 3rd place from any of the riders from 2 to 9

Thursday favours Rolland , Ryder , maybe Pozzo

Friday favours Aru , Kelderman, Pozzo , Majka...maybe Ryder

Sat favours who ever is the bravest and wants it most....maybe Aru , Majka, Kelderman ..EVANS...

I bet Bjarne Riis will have some way out tactic up his sleeve for tomorrow or Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

All riders have been accounted for by now. 168 finished yesterday. 167 started this morning (Boasson-Hagen was a DNS). 160 riders have finished today.

DNFs are: Courteille (FDJ); Petacchi (OPQS); Finetto (Neri Sottoli); Thurau (Europcar); Dekker (Garmin Sharp); Scarponi (Astana); and Colli (Neri Sottoli).

I would have thougth Scarponi would have finished in order to be there for Aru

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Nico and Philip finished 33rd & 34th.
    Nico with another dead rubber of a tour, he should have retired after losing so much time and concentrated on the Tour & Vuelta.

Tobyglen wrote: »
    Nico with another dead rubber of a tour, he should have retired after losing so much time and concentrated on the Tour & Vuelta.

Majka needs him, teams won't let riders retire willy-nilly. With conditions so bad and sick riders around, nobody wants to end up in a situation like Orica Greenedge

Tobyglen wrote: »

He won't be a team leader in the Tour and may also not be in the Vuelta. His role may be much as it is here, working for the good of the team leader (Contador, Kreuziger and Majka). He is needed to be perform that role in the Giro.

• Advertisement

Riders up in arms about Quintana attacking on the 'neutralized' descent

Lots as I saw waited at the top of the Stelvio

Majka says he was sure the descent is neutralised, Tinkoff-Saxo stopped at the summit to take jackets and food. #giro

Kelderman:"Just like many others I thought descent was neutralized. Many were waiting on top. You didn't see anything & Quintana rode away."

Jos van Emden ‏@josvanemden 52m
    We shouldn't have raced in the first place but letting someone win who attacks in a neutral part!!!!By the way he has a fever so.....#giro

Cadel Evans ‏@CadelOfficial 1h
    Today's racing was so nuts I can't quite believe it myself...and I was there! #giroditalia2014

@NathanPeterHaas: That was colder then the time I stared Chuck Norris in the eyes.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Simon Geshke - "@simongeschke: I did some stupid things in my life, but descending while it's snowing is just a completely unnecessary risk of our riders lifes."

Play to the whistle lads, or in this case the flag. Fact is, it wasn't neutralized. If you're a gc rider, you should have had your nose stuck to Quintana's back wheel until the line. It's the queen stage, why risk doing anything else. Rolland had the sense to do it that way

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

Play to the whistle lads, or in this case the flag. Fact is, it wasn't neutralized. If you're a gc rider, you should have had your nose stuck to Quintana's back wheel until the line. It's the queen stage, why risk doing anything else. Rolland had the sense to do it that way
    Check out @ProCyclingStats's Tweet: https://twitter.com/ProCyclingStats/status/471369427641188352

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

After the descent Quintana's group had about 1.30 advantage and when he crossed the line it was a 4.11 advantage. Regardless of the controversy, he was going to take the stage.
    Actually, from what he was saying in the interviews, it seems the opposite. Rolland and Hesjedal went first, Quintana was the one with the sense to stick to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

ulissi was 2nd last ! save to say AG2r will win the team comp now

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    ulissi was 2nd last ! save to say AG2r will win the team comp now

He'll probably win tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Is the red flag just a warning or does it definitely mean the stage has been neutralised?

Boqwyu4IMAIFmHp.jpg:large

Advertisement