Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia Stage 16 – May 27th, Ponte di Legno-Val Martello **Unmasked Spoilers**

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

SomeFool wrote: »
    Is the red flag just a warning or does it definitely mean the stage has been neutralised?

Boqwyu4IMAIFmHp.jpg:large

Apparently it was just being used to help to guide the riders down as there was cloud cover on the upper sections of the descent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Black flag is neutralize, red flag is warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The photos of the stage today on Steephill are definitely worth having a look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Official Statement (does it really clarify things?)

- STATEMENT BY THE [GIRO] RACE DIRECTORS -
    [About stage 16]
    In consideration of audio recordings of instructions relayed to Directeurs sportifs during today's stage, the Directors of the Giro d'Italia would like to clarify that Race Radio provided an inaccurate interpretation of the indications stipulated by the Directors.
    As previously stated, the intention was to guarantee rider safety during the first section of the descent (the first 6 hairpins, approximately 1500 m) of the Passo dello Stelvio, where visibility was restricted due to low cloud and fog.
    At no point did Race Radio or the Directors of the Giro make reference to the possible neutralisation of any part of the descent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Official Statement (does it really clarify things?)

- STATEMENT BY THE [GIRO] RACE DIRECTORS -
    [About stage 16]
    In consideration of audio recordings of instructions relayed to Directeurs sportifs during today's stage, the Directors of the Giro d'Italia would like to clarify that Race Radio provided an inaccurate interpretation of the indications stipulated by the Directors.
    As previously stated, the intention was to guarantee rider safety during the first section of the descent (the first 6 hairpins, approximately 1500 m) of the Passo dello Stelvio, where visibility was restricted due to low cloud and fog.
    At no point did Race Radio or the Directors of the Giro make reference to the possible neutralisation of any part of the descent.

It was never neutralised. Simples.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Black flag is neutralize, red flag is warning?

The UCI should sit down with the GAA and figure out the flag/card system for once and for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Stage 17 today ...I expect some attacking as teams go out to get time back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

MPFG wrote: »
    Stage 17 today ...I expect some attacking as teams go out to get time back

Yes, after some of yesterdays confusion during the decent, some of the teams will be attacking like crazy to try and make back some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

today is relatively flat... a breakaway of people 30mins+ down has a good chance of staying away, but a move by any gc people would be easily marked

I disagree re GC guys attacking

Alot of people are very angry and if you have guys in breakaway there is possibility of a bridge

Very few sprinter teams left ...I think its a roulers stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Twitter seems to be lighting up about a meeting between all the ds. Tinkoff wants yesterdays stage voided.

Twitter seems to be lighting up about a meeting between all the ds. Tinkoff wants yesterdays stage voided.

He was the only one who came on a bicycle and kit :D

He is a bit mad ...and then some

Can't see how they can unravel yesterday ...not just Quintana but Rolland, Hesjedal, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

MPFG wrote: »
    He was the only one who came on a bicycle and kit :D

He is a bit mad ...and then some

Can't see how they can unravel yesterday ...not just Quintana but Rolland, Hesjedal, etc

Annul the stage results, everyone as you were, still plenty of legit chances for Quintana to win the race, surely he'd rather that then be considered to have won this in very dubious fashion?

Boqj_ujCMAAQr8l.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Inquitus wrote: »
    Annul the stage results, everyone as you were, still plenty of legit chances for Quintana to win the race, surely he'd rather that then be considered to have won this in very dubious fashion?
    You can annul everything...except their legs. Quintana, Hesjedal and Rolland are going to be feeling it today and probably tomorrow from the effort they put in yesterday, how do you annul that?

Blowfish wrote: »
    You can annul everything...except their legs. Quintana, Hesjedal and Rolland are going to be feeling it today and probably tomorrow from the effort they put in yesterday, how do you annul that?

Should have followed the directions of race radio and remained behind the bike with the red flag, instead of trying to obtain a dubious advantage, so tough shít.

Organisers have already came out and said they were sorry for the miscommunication, but it was only ever the intention to have a red flag motorbike for the first 6 corners on the descent, and then race away after that. afaik that's what was done, red flag motorbikes were only passed further down the mountain. It's the other teams fault for stopping when they saw movistar, garmin & europcar continue over the pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

You could easily argue that teams were asked to stay in formation for the first 6 corners. The teams stopping at the top broke this not the lads who continued to ride on.

where the hell is dastardly with the Stage17 thread??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Paddigol

retalivity wrote: »
    where the hell is dastardly with the Stage17 thread??

I think he's meeting with the Race Organisers and various DS's to decide what to do with yesterday's thread. Annul it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Paddigol wrote: »
    I think he's meeting with the Race Organisers and various DS's to decide what to do with yesterday's thread. Annul it?

Sorry for delay, I having an espresso with Oleg :pac:

Stage 17 thread here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It would be pretty harsh, if he does win, and yesterdays stage remains as is, I don't think he'd have won it an any sort of dubious fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭buffalo

From what I've read and watched, Quintana et al gained an advantage on the descent while the other teams stopped to put on clothes at the top, rather than attacking from a group.

While the descent, or part of it, was neutralised, nobody said anything about a time out at the summit.

edit: Oleg sayz:
    I was at the top of the Stelvio because I'd ridden up and I saw Quintana attack while the others stopped to get changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭pprendeville

The photos of the stage today on Steephill are definitely worth having a look at.

Incredible photos. The pros certainly earned they're tucker yesterday. See Quintana with the tops of his overshoes taped so as not to let in any water. Good idea. Marginal gains.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Incredible photos. The pros certainly earned they're tucker yesterday. See Quintana with the tops of his overshoes taped so as not to let in any water. Good idea.#Marginal gains.

FYP
    you appear to have omitted the obligatory hashtag. ;)

16:04:50 CEST
    Belgian TV are reporting that all the teams have put forward a suggestion to the UCI to take away the time gained on the Stelvio descent. That would be around 2 minutes and would hand Rigoberto Uran the pink jersey back, albeit by a small margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Belgian TV are reporting that all the teams have put forward a suggestion to the UCI to take away the time gained on the Stelvio descent. That would be around 2 minutes and would hand Rigoberto Uran the pink jersey back, albeit by a small margin.

Doubt it'll happen but I'd love that, make the GC a bit more interesting!

I doubt movistar & europcar would have agreed to that

• Registered Users Posts: 20,566 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

what did Quintana and Rolland actually gain on the decent ? I watched the highlights on sky till the last climb, then I switched to my recorded eurosport coverage for the last climb.

I thought it was only 1.30 minutes tops ?

Hopefully Quintana takes more time out of them on the time trial to make the whole situation moot

Advertisement