Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cupping therapy

• 26-05-2014 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭

Anyone try it. I have had it done a few times for shoulder/back pain. Its a little uncomfortable but far from a deep massage pain can give.

I have used a foam roller and stick for a long time on my legs but they do little help to IT band.

Sensationalist article below about it. Basically I went to work today and had a mark like that on the back of my neck. Never even knew it was there. My neck feels much better though :)

Sports massage, the stick/grid/foam roller all do basically the same thing like this which is stimulate bloodflow in the area to speed recovery. Any opinions ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1041370/The-price-Gold-Chinese-athletes-left-huge-spots-cupping-therapy-quest-Olympic-glory.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

From skimming the Wikipedia article it sounds like complete nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

cianc wrote: »
    From skimming the Wikipedia article it sounds like complete nonsense.

Its been around since 1500 BC. Wikipedia is hardly the best source. I defo found it helped with my neck pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Leeches have been used for medicinal purposes since 800 B.C., but I wouldn't be in a hurry to go seeking them out as a treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I think ultraman might try that on his kn0b ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

I thought cupping was how u held tits...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

In fairness, the article is from the daily mail!!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

rom wrote: »
    Its a little uncomfortable but far from a deep massage pain can give.

My thoughts would be that maybe it doesn't feel like it's going very deep because, well, it isn't? Reminds me a bit of Deep Heat and similar products that make the surface of the skin feel toasty warm and manage to block out some pain even without actually reaching its source directly at all, simply by setting up a counter-irritation that's close enough to the site of the original pain to distract from it, confuse the nervous system and give relief by that roundabout route.

That said I can see that some neck/shoulder pain probably does have causes that are barely skin-deep and possibly amenable to being relieved directly by techniques that don't go very deep. The precise selection of techniques, though, is something I would be inclined to leave to a professional. At least unless I had such chronic issues that I had already tried everything once and a hierarchy of preferences had gradually crystallized out of my n=1 experiment.

Advertisement