Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q about Airport Police

Options
  • 26-05-2014 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Are European Airport Police real police?, as in a couple of years training in Templemore and then a few months on the job learning time, passing tests on criminal law, allowed to carry out arrests etc?
    Or are they "AIRPORT" makey upy police, like security in the shopping mall / rent a cop or whatever?
    Or some kind of hybrid with limited powers? If so what authority do they have?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airport_Police_(Ireland)

Not the best source of course, but does look like they have a long enough history and some powers of arrest and detention etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fatscally

Thanks Sulla.

So they're a kinda hybrid setup according to that. A kind of police deputy I'd say.

What about the baggage checkers / metal detector operators? I assume they're just trained personal to search for a distinct list of banned items. After that they've to call for the AP?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Fatscally wrote: »
    Thanks Sulla.

So they're a kinda hybrid setup according to that. A kind of police deputy I'd say.

What about the baggage checkers / metal detector operators? I assume they're just trained personal to search for a distinct list of banned items. After that they've to call for the AP?

Years ago the Airport police oversaw all aspects of airport security from searching other airport/airline employees checking ID badges etc,They no longer do this as the DAA set up THE ASU(Airport Search Unit) which are normal staff with no powers of arrest/detention they man the x ray machines and staff entrances.
    If there is a problem they contact the Airport police just say there was a passenger acting the mick on a flight in bound to Dublin then the Gardai are called as I have seen many occasions while working there.

Advertisement