Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterbutt payback

Options
  • 26-05-2014 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,868 ✭✭✭✭

We bought a water butt at the weekend.
    A bargain at €24 I thought, until I did some sums.
    During the growing season, we'd use maybe 2, 5 litre watering cans per day on plants and flowers.
    So if the growing season is May -August, that's 120 * 10 = 1,200 litres of water.
    I've heard figures of 0.2c/litre, so the watering can consumption would cost €2.40 per year from a tap.
    So it will take 10 years to break even assuming the butt has water everytime we need it.
    Our solar panels will achieve payback before that. Maybe.
    Has anyone else calculated their payback for waterbutts?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

This is why I have a dislike of buying waterbutts - €24 for a piece of extruded plastic (OK, probably has a tap) seems a little OTT. It's like when I went to buy a litter tray for the cat a while back. They were charging €10 for a piece of plastic which even a €1 shop would have struggled to charge €1 for.

We have assorted water butts around the place, but they are mostly old bins. We also have a rainwater harvesting system for the roof water which went in during a refurb of the whole house. I'll admit that we didn't do the sums on it but it was something we wanted to put in anyway as a general sort of "doing our thing" thing. We also reckoned that being Ireland, the charge per litre was only ever going to go one way so it would end up paying for itself at some stage and after that (10, 15, whatever) it was all free water.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

+1 on the old bins

Saving over €250 a year by composting though!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,868 ✭✭✭✭josip

Did you buy diverters to connect the old bins to the downpipe?
    Or are you using a traditional, "barrel at the end of the drainpipe" design?

Advertisement