Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question to people who already did their leaving cert.

• 27-05-2014 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

I'm gonna keep this simple. I got 245 in my mock, failed higher level bio by 2 percent and higher level AG by 10 percent. I didnt study for my mocks at all. I need 300 points. And I've only started studying in the last 3 or two weeks, I do about nine hours a day, so my question in a nutshell is, did anyone who done there leaving cert last year have any success stories where they only really studied for the last 3 weeks ish and managed to get 300+ points? or do you know of anyone who managed to pull this off? im basically asking for last minute success stories to give me hope and make me feel better. Tell me your thoughts :P:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Mine was several million years ago but I improved on my mock results by well over 100 points. Like you, I did very little for the mocks, although I did nothing like 9 hours of study a day at any point!
    All you can do is your best: I convinced myself to forget about points and aims, ignore how much study others said they were doing, and just focus on doing as much study as I could stomach to get on as well as I possibly could.
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

still though, I like hearing success stories like these because they give me hope :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Badwulf wrote: »
    I'm gonna keep this simple. I got 245 in my mock, failed higher level bio by 2 percent and higher level AG by 10 percent. I didnt study for my mocks at all. I need 300 points. And I've only started studying in the last 3 or two weeks, I do about nine hours a day, so my question in a nutshell is, did anyone who done there leaving cert last year have any success stories where they only really studied for the last 3 weeks ish and managed to get 300+ points? or do you know of anyone who managed to pull this off? im basically asking for last minute success stories to give me hope and make me feel better. Tell me your thoughts :P:eek:

Well last year I too didn't study, got about 270 in my mocks.. didn't study for the real thing and got 380. Buuuuuuut... I'm back again this year... still not studying. I'll never learn!

Anyway, my point is the mocks are more about getting the timing right, they're corrected by different people and the papers are sometimes not exactly great so put in the work and chances are you will get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I went up 100 points from my mocks. I wasn't a big studier, but I pretty much always did my homework and listened.

Crammed for my mocks, and I crammed for the LC and I did pretty well.

Keep cramming and studying hard. You'll do well if you do.

redzer and 9bred, you guys are gonna make me cry like a little asian school girl :') If I just got that extra 2 percent in bio I would be on 290 points :( been cramming for it like crazy the past two weeks and I think I could bring home a C in it now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

redzer and 9bred, you guys are gonna make me cry like a little asian school girl :') If I just got that extra 2 percent in bio I would be on 290 points :( been cramming for it like crazy the past two weeks and I think I could bring home a C in it now :)

The fact it is a week away makes me want to cry like a school girl to be honest :( ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Got 180 in my mocks and 430 in my LC

It can be done - although nine hours of study is far too much for you to really take anything in.

Also I studied the bare minimum of 6 and I figured out the test papers well. Also revise wise is great. There's far too much useless crap and filler for the LC.

There's still over a week left. You'll get for points if you keep up the work. Good luck
    Afroshack wrote: »
    Got 180 in my mocks and 430 in my LC

It can be done - although nine hours of study is far too much for you to really take anything in.

That's how I pass my college exams on study week. Head into the library when it opens and leave an hour or two before it closes at night.

Never underestimate the power of cramming ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭LiverpoolLad95

My mate went up a whole 1400%, honest.

....He got 5 points in the Mock, and 70 points in the Leaving.

He's enjoying his jam-making course now.

(Only messing about the Jam-making, serious about the points, only passed french because in the Listening, he marked all the A's on the multiple choice sections).

Hope this helps OP.

well I guess that kind of counts liver pool lad hahaha, looking for better stories than that tho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

It's a good few years since i did my LC (2006), but I went from 280 in my mocks (without much studying, as I'd been very ill), to working my arse off and getting a little over 500 in the actual exams.

Put the work in, and you absolutely can do it. Best thing I found was doing exam papers. Writing down everything helped it to stay in my mind. When I got bored, I'd do a little doodle next to some stuff, and funnily enough, I remembered the doodle in the exams, which helped me to remember what I had written!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

It's a good few years since i did my LC (2006), but I went from 280 in my mocks (without much studying, as I'd been very ill), to working my arse off and getting a little over 500 in the actual exams.

Put the work in, and you absolutely can do it. Best thing I found was doing exam papers. Writing down everything helped it to stay in my mind. When I got bored, I'd do a little doodle next to some stuff, and funnily enough, I remembered the doodle in the exams, which helped me to remember what I had written!

Yeah by this stage - you should be just revising exam papers and sample answers in note form. The textbook won't help you so just make sure what you are studying is brief, concise and to the point. Then cram, cram, cram!

To be honest, I know people who've gone up 200 points, and gone down as much as 100. My cousin went from 340 to 470.

Anyways, for people like us who've left it toooooo late, its all about the last minute study and luck. If what we study comes up, we will do well, if what we study doesn't come up we're going to have to repeat. Just happy thoughts.

Also, just a quick question for anyone doing History, is it all right if a mate learns the same essays as you, only his aren't that good and mine are better. Anyone go in with the same essays as classmates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

To be honest, I know people who've gone up 200 points, and gone down as much as 100. My cousin went from 340 to 470.

Anyways, for people like us who've left it toooooo late, its all about the last minute study and luck. If what we study comes up, we will do well, if what we study doesn't come up we're going to have to repeat. Just happy thoughts.

Also, just a quick question for anyone doing History, is it all right if a mate learns the same essays as you, only his aren't that good and mine are better. Anyone go in with the same essays as classmates?

Yep thats fine... although I assume theyre different seeing as yours are better. You can't just write the answer out though. Adapt the essay to the question asked. so regardless yer answers will be somewhat different.

oncex wrote: »
    Yep thats fine... although I assume theyre different seeing as yours are better. You can't just write the answer out though. Adapt the essay to the question asked. so regardless yer answers will be somewhat different.

Whoops, meant to say he's learning mine as his aren't that good, no doubt on the day the argument will be different but the facts are the same, if you get me. So e.g. the Franchise Act of 1884 trebled the amount of Irish voters whereas he's been saying it greatly increased threefold.

All I need to go up is 50 points, will all you guys light me candles? :) since I've started studying in the past three weeks though I've relised that knowledge stays in my head REALLY DAMN EASY, kinda wish I started earlier and I would of got waaayyyyy higher then :P

All I need to go up is 50 points, will all you guys light me candles? :) since I've started studying in the past three weeks though I've relised that knowledge stays in my head REALLY DAMN EASY, kinda wish I started earlier and I would of got waaayyyyy higher then :P

I started properly the weekend before the LC and I studied my engineering notes the night before. Got a HB1 and I couldn't remember 75% of what I'd learned an hour after the exam.

Keep it up and I'll say you'll do better than what you need even.

engineering is a handy subject to have, probably one of the easiest subjects to do in LC

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Helloya

Got 280 in mocks, 250 in real thing. Didn't study much, did a plc year after, went on to do a law degree, qualified as a solicitor a year ago. The leaving cert isn't the be all and end all.

engineering is a handy subject to have, probably one of the easiest subjects to do in LC

It would be in fairness. Handy enough points if you're doing it.

• Advertisement

Helloya wrote: »
    Got 280 in mocks, 250 in real thing. Didn't study much, did a plc year after, went on to do a law degree, qualified as a solicitor a year ago. The leaving cert isn't the be all and end all.

To me it is the Be all and end all :( I don't even know how PLC's work

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Yes, I know someone who went up 300 points from their mocks!
    You are better prepared now than you were for the mocks, and won't make any of the same mistakes as regards timing etc twice. Its well doable.
    Best of luck with it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

To me it is the Be all and end all :( I don't even know how PLC's work

Look at PLCs now and even if it's a bit late, apply for some now. You can use some FETAC courses to access Level 7 and 8 courses.
    Otherwise, if things don't go to plan, your only option is to repeat.

Ompala wrote: »
    Yes, I know someone who went up 300 points from their mocks!
    You are better prepared now than you were for the mocks, and won't make any of the same mistakes as regards timing etc twice. Its well doable.
    Best of luck with it :)

jesus what did he get in his mocks :O

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

jesus what did he get in his mocks :O

Slightly over 100 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Moose9999

Like a lot of the posters here, its many years since I did mine, but my advise to you is study as much as you can from now till the end of the LC just make sure you get enough sleep before each exam. You'll wont get few weeks again. Generally your LC results will be a lot better than your mocks. And if it doesn't go as well as you'd like, its not the end of the world. Best of luck!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kayla221

ok so since fifth year my english teacher has marked me extremely hard! (says i have problems with expression) i have never gotten anything over a D3 on any essay including comparative, poetry, macbeth and personal writing! i spent anything up to eight hours on one essay but the grade was always the same. in my mock i got 61%. for macbeth i got 38 marks out of 50 and for comparative i got 51 marks out or 70 i ran out of time so didnt get the poetry done, but i got 15 out of 20 on the unseen. i was delighted as id be nearly failing all year but my teacher said the paper was marked extremely easy and i deserved a D. i feel completely lost with english now and im afraid all the work i have prepaired is only D standard. i really cant afford to fail! can anyone, like literally anyone help me, im freaking out!!

kayla221 wrote: »
    ok so since fifth year my english teacher has marked me extremely hard! (says i have problems with expression) i have never gotten anything over a D3 on any essay including comparative, poetry, macbeth and personal writing! i spent anything up to eight hours on one essay but the grade was always the same. in my mock i got 61%. for macbeth i got 38 marks out of 50 and for comparative i got 51 marks out or 70 i ran out of time so didnt get the poetry done, but i got 15 out of 20 on the unseen. i was delighted as id be nearly failing all year but my teacher said the paper was marked extremely easy and i deserved a D. i feel completely lost with english now and im afraid all the work i have prepaired is only D standard. i really cant afford to fail! can anyone, like literally anyone help me, im freaking out!!

English teachers are all mostly see you next tuesdays. I got 74% in my mock and then a weak later all my teachers had to fill in a "Predicted grades" section for an access form to a college (what grades they thought I would get In my actual LC)

English teacher thinks I'm gonna get a D3

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kayla221

its really unfair for them to make students doubt themselves, especially if you got a B in the mocks thats brillant! im so confused now think i might fail in the real exam! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 pumpkin222

got 120 in the mocks...managed to scrape 320....back again doing it and praying i get something on the cao! mocks mean nothing they don't determine your grades at all.....I do exam papers from each topic(especially in biology) and i find it helps....the lc isn't be all and end all take it from a repeat!
    good luck

Advertisement