Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question to people who already did their leaving cert.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

i studied the night before each exam, and ended up with 400.

know another lad who studied every night for the month leading up, and only ended up with 460.

It's more of a case of lazyness/information retention.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

truedoom wrote: »
    i studied the night before each exam, and ended up with 400.

know another lad who studied every night for the month leading up, and only ended up with 460.

It's more of a case of lazyness/information retention.

You're my new inspiration :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DaimNut

Got 375 in the mocks this year with no study and no idea what to expect for the leaving cert now 😰 only really started studying the past two weeks like an idiot :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

kayla221 wrote: »
    ok so since fifth year my english teacher has marked me extremely hard! (says i have problems with expression) i have never gotten anything over a D3 on any essay including comparative, poetry, macbeth and personal writing! i spent anything up to eight hours on one essay but the grade was always the same.

My teacher is almost identical, she's known in our school for hard-grading and she pretty much slaughters our class' work. I know one of my friends got 95% on poetry essay in the mock and a guy in my class who copied the essay (same question) got 53%. I know I'm one of the 'better' students in our class though, yet the best result I've ever gotten was 71% on a comparitive essay. Hopefully I'll get better in the LC, as I had the opposite in JC ,averaging 90+ and got a C.

DaimNut wrote: »
    Got 375 in the mocks this year with no study and no idea what to expect for the leaving cert now 😰 only really started studying the past two weeks like an idiot :P

You are also my inspiration :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

There is no generic 'you'll go up" or you'll go down, it all depends on the amount of work done after the mocks. Some people peak at the mocks and no amount of work will advance their grades. Others do nothing for the mocks, get their shít together for the last few months and do incredibly. Others do enough to maintain the points from the mocks (most people are in this category).

You know yourself which you fit into.
    And as someone mentioned here, these exams are blown out of proportion by the media. They are only one route to your dream :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DavidDaly

Honestly one reassuring thing I say is how results can change radically. Like loads of people say oh well if I did **** at this in the Junior cert I am absolutely screwed for the leaving. Not true. For science in the Junior Cert I at a C(barely I reckon) in Biology I got a B1. I was **** at English and only got a D in HL in the junior cert, a D3 in the leaving cert pre but a C1 in the leaving cert. I mean it can be very strange cause I also went down from a B1 in the pre in Business to a D2 in the leaving cert. Luckily I got my course in the end but honestly a huge chunk of success in the leaving cert is your attitude on the day. If you go in think your screwed you are probably gonna do badly cause your just not going to focus and answer the questions properly cause your distracting yourself by thinking negatively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

Went from 420 to 470, not a huge leap but a bit all the same.

The mocks are hit and miss. Lazy correcting all over the shop. The highest of our HL English class in the mocks was 72%, and 6 of us ended up getting A's in the real thing.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

131spanner wrote: »
    The mocks are hit and miss. Lazy correcting all over the shop.

^This.

Especially subjects like English and Business which have no set answer. Correctors will just throw a few ticks on the page and guess a grade from the little bit they actually bother to read. Was the case for my mock anyway.

Im still fairly pissed I failed Bio by 4 marks :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭WeHaveToGoBack

Two years ago I got 240ish points in the Mocks with two fails and no studying.

In the LC ilI got about 320ish and passed everything. And to be honest, I did little study.

I think Mocks are marked much harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Pat_McGroyne

I don't want to appear naff, but does anyone know of anybody who went from 500 in their mocks to 580+ in LC with no great increase in study effort/hours?? :/

I don't want to appear naff, but does anyone know of anybody who went from 500 in their mocks to 580+ in LC with no great increase in study effort/hours?? :/

sounds doable :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Really depends on luck. If the stuff you've learned comes up and have a great 6 exams, its possible. It's unlikely though.

if
    photosynthsis
    respiration
    defense immunity
    plant reproduction
    ecology
    enzymes
    human reproduction
    cell division
    food
    genitics
    breathing system
    excretion
    come up for higher bio Ima get an A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Really depends on luck. If the stuff you've learned comes up and have a great 6 exams, its possible. It's unlikely though.

Ah in fairness, it also depends on how hard the mocks were marked!
    It's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question - best advice at this stage in the game, for OP and all other students, is to forget CAO altogether until the offers come out, and just focus on doing your best (something you still have control over).

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Pat_McGroyne

dee_mc wrote: »
    Ah in fairness, it also depends on how hard the mocks were marked!
    It's a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question - best advice at this stage in the game, for OP and all other students, is to forget CAO altogether until the offers come out, and just focus on doing your best (something you still have control over).

I think that's a sound piece of advice, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭VenomousFish

i'm lucky enough to be blessed with good information retaining skills. if find it easy enough to pick up topics in class. i got 520 points in my mocks and the only study i did was a glance over each subject the night before.(although admittedly i only barely scraped a pass in english) i'm hoping my methods won't fail me now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

i'm lucky enough to be blessed with good information retaining skills. if find it easy enough to pick up topics in class. i got 520 points in my mocks and the only study i did was a glance over each subject the night before.(although admittedly i only barely scraped a pass in english) i'm hoping my methods won't fail me now...

LUCKY :mad: I have to go over material so many times to remember it....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

bb1234567 wrote: »

You might be the sort of person remembers things you hear better than things you see/read. Try recording a sound file of some topic and see does that help.
    Very many people don't know what style of learner they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭VenomousFish

bb1234567 wrote: »

haha yeah :o . i feel like such a dick when my friends complain about their 5 hour study sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

spurious wrote: »
    You might be the sort of person remembers things you hear better than things you see/read. Try recording a sound file of some topic and see does that help.
    Very many people don't know what style of learner they are.

Maybe haha its a little bit late now so Ill stick with the reading learning for now, if I repeat I might try the listening method , thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Badwulf wrote: »
    I'm gonna keep this simple. I got 245 in my mock, failed higher level bio by 2 percent and higher level AG by 10 percent. I didnt study for my mocks at all. I need 300 points. And I've only started studying in the last 3 or two weeks, I do about nine hours a day, so my question in a nutshell is, did anyone who done there leaving cert last year have any success stories where they only really studied for the last 3 weeks ish and managed to get 300+ points? or do you know of anyone who managed to pull this off? im basically asking for last minute success stories to give me hope and make me feel better. Tell me your thoughts :P:eek:

My is well over 5 years ago,

I got 70 more points in the real thing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SpoonTheGreater

Failed my maths mocks, got a B3 on the honours paper in the real thing.

Well guys it starts tomorrow, I hope these last 3-4 weeks of hardcore study will get me the 300 points I need, wish me luck and thanks for the advice :)

Advertisement