Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racehorse to Riding Horse Classes

Options
  • 27-05-2014 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of these classes?

I've been asked to ride a horse in these classes for a friend of mine. Just started to 'school' the horse and she's going quite well - nice paces and demonstrates a good willingness. She's 'aged', and so doesn't have a microchip: will this matter? Her passport is in order, however. Also, as she's been out of work for a while, her vaccinations aren't up to date. Will this matter for racehorse classes? Does it matter for other classes, such as lightweight/medium weight classes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

Just speaking about showing in general, I have never had a passport checked for vaccinations. Its unusual that she doesn't have a microchip - strange. Do you know the reason for it?

I think they do check that horse has raced or at least been in training. Love the idea of this class. Gorey show has one although they have generally been getting much more popular recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

monflat wrote: »
    I know I had a horse once who would be 14 now and has a green passport but no microchip.
    I think there is a good few out there still.

They as you ssid only check.if horse has been in trsining or raced
    Ive never had anyone look at anything else bar the name on the passport .
    So you should be ok.
    To be honest it may be different at qualifer level or rds level
    But at your local shows ive never had anyone look through my passport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

In RDS Horses are scanned for Microchips & passport checked to ensure Vaccinations up to date so just bear this in mind OP if you are aiming for Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

The horse is 18 or 19, so was coming to the end of her racing career when chipping was brought in. At that stage, the Turf Club didn't require those older horses to be chipped when racing.

Even though I think the horse has a lot of potential, I don't think we'll be heading to the RDS. Apart from having to subject an older horse to getting chipped, and then trying to get vaccs in order, it's just far too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

Hi there,

I ride Racehorse to Riding Horse classes, but in the UK.

It's great as there's often less people in the classes ;) but often times there will be a ex-racehorse who sets the others off with their craziness!

In all the local to provincial shows, I have never had to show her passport. In order to register for the classes I needed to show she had actually raced (I think this was done by way of a registration number she had as a racer?).

I realise it's not the specific advice you are looking for at the moment, but the ROR website will likely be helpful for other queries you have along the way; http://www.ror.org.uk/

• Advertisement
Advertisement