Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jalapeno sauce

• 27-05-2014 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any recommendations on where the best place is to get this here? Or ideas on the nicest type?

I'm looking for something with the same consistency as ketchup, with no lumps.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,784 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Not exactly what you're asking for but i find reggae reggae extra hot sauce to be very tasty. It does have that ketchup thicknes though. Haven't bought any of franks since i start using the r.r.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

If you're in Dublin, try Sabburitos in the Epicurean on Liffey St. They sell various types of hot sauce.

Boojum have it, you could ask them where they get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭squonk

Boojum in Galway told me once they sell the sauces for about €3.50 a pop. I'm not sure if they still do that. That was about a year ago. You can buy the boojum sauces off Amazon anyway but they work out a bit more expensive than if you could source them here.

Heinz have this:

4GqUJi.jpeg

It doesn't have the consistency of a ketchup, more like a vinaigrette. I've tried their habanero and chipotle & garlic and they're good. Not as good as the ones Sabburito sell and Boojum have as condiments however.

They also have a tomato ketchup with jalapeno but I've not seen that in shops, just on the internet. The hot sauce I have seen in Dunnes and Supervalu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,632 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I saw Aldi had some jalapeno and habanero sauces recently. No idea what they're like though, but considering they're in Aldi, it wouldn't break the bank to try them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭floggg

Try a Latin food shop and look for Mexican salsas.

Valentina is my personal favourite. It's not specifically jalapeño but very good and can be used on anything you'd use ketchup on. It comes in yellow an black with the black being the hottest.

Other ones would be cholula which comes in various flavours - though it's not as thick as ketchup/Valentina. Botanero seems to be favoured salsa by Mexicans though I haven't seen it in Ireland.

There's a Latin shop near the ha'penny bridge/grand social bar in Dublin that has Valentina (though frequently out of stock).

There's also a Hamleys Pasty shop under the arch on the far side of the ha'penny bridge which has been taken over by Latinos who do it too.

The burrito places do them to - but charge twice as much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

http://www.mymexicanshop.ie/

I love the inferno

I love Valentina, always use it on my burrito/tacos when out. Where is that Latini shop? Is it on Liffey St on the corner, across from The Lotts and Epicurran? Beside a bag shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Looking for a green chile type salsa sauce, medium hot, none of that habanero carnage. I think I had a nice one in pablo's before. Recommendations?

• Advertisement

"habanero carnage". Lol :D I got stung in Pablo's by going for their hottest salsa, it burned me inside and out. Not sure if it's habanero they use in it as I can take habaneros.

Only green hot sauce I have seen is the Jalapeño stuff. Tabasco do a green hot sauce but I think it is made from jalapeños.

Advertisement