Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offensive weapon being carried for defence

Options
  • 27-05-2014 4:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Recently, I was attacked and almost killed in a completely unprovoked attack in a local park by 30 or so lads in broad daylight. They attacked my friend and I, and for the most part we were unharmed, apart from a few bruises and a blood nose.
    As we were walking away, one of them ran up and stabbed me in the chest, just missing my heart by 3mm. These lads were all 15 - 16 years old, and so no matter what the police do, they will be back out around the streets of my town again in no time.
    I am a trained boxer, am in good shape and well able to defend myself and have never ever used a weapon on anyone. But, I feel that if the situation arises again, and it will because I'm taking legal action against them and they are always around the place in packs, that I would be safer carrying a weapon to defend myself as i don't travel in packs. (And they also have no qualms whatsoever about using weapons on complete strangers for no reason)

I am aware that its illegal to carry an offensive weapon for any reason, but Id rather be charged with carrying an offensive weapon than be stabbed to death. My life is a bit more important to me than obeying this countries laws.

Can anyone suggest what they think they might do in the situation? It really is a tricky one. Thanks.

(Ps please save the violence is bad flower-child talk, this is real life Im talking about)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

joeyob wrote: »
    Recently, I was attacked and almost killed in a completely unprovoked attack in a local park by 30 or so lads in broad daylight. They attacked my friend and I, and for the most part we were unharmed, apart from a few bruises and a blood nose.
    As we were walking away, one of them ran up and stabbed me in the chest, just missing my heart by 3mm. These lads were all 15 - 16 years old, and so no matter what the police do, they will be back out around the streets of my town again in no time.
    I am a trained boxer, am in good shape and well able to defend myself and have never ever used a weapon on anyone. But, I feel that if the situation arises again, and it will because I'm taking legal action against them and they are always around the place in packs, that I would be safer carrying a weapon to defend myself as i don't travel in packs. (And they also have no qualms whatsoever about using weapons on complete strangers for no reason)

I am aware that its illegal to carry an offensive weapon for any reason, but Id rather be charged with carrying an offensive weapon than be stabbed to death. My life is a bit more important to me than obeying this countries laws.

Can anyone suggest what they think they might do in the situation? It really is a tricky one. Thanks.

(Ps please save the violence is bad flower-child talk, this is real life Im talking about)

Don't carry a knife it's moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You've answer your own question really.
    You know its illegal, but are willing to take that risk. What's more to say.

There is no legal reason where carry a weapon is justified. So the law won't be on your side.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Go to the Garda and get advice on personal safety.

Consider a stab vest if you have to.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

If you want real life, a knife is more likely to be taken off you and used against you in the situation you just described.

A more sensible option is a good pair of running shoes and a mobile phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 joeyob

If you want real life, a knife is more likely to be taken off you and used against you in the situation you just described.

A more sensible option is a good pair of running shoes and a mobile phone.

Haha based on what? You may have missed the part about how I almost died that last time. I have no intention of carrying a knife in the first place, I was think something blunt or something scary looking to just get them to piss off. But if it comes to it (and I obviously can only speak for myself, and not for what you would do in the same situation) I would not hesitate to use it.

p.s. Mobile phones were what got me into this mess in the first place ;)

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Go to the Garda and get advice on personal safety.

Consider a stab vest if you have to.

Sound advice, a stab vest is probably the best option all around. Pity that Id have to wear one, but still. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Haha based on what? You may have missed the part about how I almost died that last time. I have no intention of carrying a knife in the first place, I was think something blunt or something scary looking to just get them to piss off. But if it comes to it (and I obviously can only speak for myself, and not for what you would do in the same situation) I would not hesitate to use it.

p.s. Mobile phones were what got me into this mess in the first place ;)

If there are more of them than you then no kind of weapon will protect you. Weapons just escalate things. Avoidance is most effective.

234 wrote: »
    If there are more of them than you then no kind of weapon will protect you. Weapons just escalate things. Avoidance is most effective.

Yeah I appreciate your point, but my main aim with carrying a weapon would be to deter them, to let them know that if any of them get within arms reach that they would get hurt too. Id be surprised if they didn't decided to leave it off if that was the case, especially since they all know well that I didn't actually do anything to provoke that first attack in the first place. They are a bunch of gutless worms after all, 30 -40 versus 2, and still needed a weapon, doesn't exactly paint a picture of the most courageous group of youngsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

nearly dead or a few bruises and a bloody nose???????

Sounds like a big difference.

Anyway.

Ask yourself if you know how to use a weapon. If the answer is yes then great. If not you are more likely to lose it and have it taken off you.

Something blunt and scary looking isn't a great idea because its obvious that you have it. You will get legal trouble for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Anyway.

Ask yourself if you know how to use a weapon. If the answer is yes then great. If not you are more likely to lose it and have it taken off you.

Something blunt and scary looking isn't a great idea because its obvious that you have it. You will get legal trouble for that.

Fair go he did mention he was stabbed.

Op there are several legal items you can carry that could be used to defend yourself. However in all cases running is the best course of action. You can't take on that many.

What they are not doing is worried about carrying weapons as you are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

First of all, they are unlikely to be back on the street if they have been charged with riot and attempted murder, which they should be if your story is accurate. If they aren't, you should be asking the prosecutors why not.

Second, it's important you highlight your concerns to prosecutors. Bail conditions can be placed on them to avoid this behaviour and they can be bound to the peace following conviction.

Third, you will be guilty of an offence if carrying a weapon. The only people that can do this are Gardaí and soldiers. The law does not recognise the existence of defensive weapons for the public.

Finally, if you are genuinely in fear, do not be afraid to put pressure on the investigating Garda to do something about it. This can include the measures I outlined above or more active measures such as ensuring they are not permitted to hang out in groups and are actively targeted by patrols. If your story is genuine they are clearly a dangerous group and these measures would be appropriate.

Unless you are a descendant of Rambo, one knife is not going to work against thirty lads beating you who also have knives.
    Haha p.s. Mobile phones were what got me into this mess in the first place ;)

How were mobiles to blame if it was completely unprovoked? Was it a robbery?

Anyway.

Did you read it? He was stabbed afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

While I would suggest you don't carrie a knife around with you as it is illegal
    I myself if it happened to me, I would carrie one around

I know it sounds like a hypocrite thing to say, but if something like that did happen to me, I would be in fear of my life, and the garda are practically useless when it comes to stuff like this
    Not saying their doing a bad job, but they can hardly watch over you day and night when your out doing your own thing, these lads are scum and I hope they get what they deserve, specially the one who stabbed you
    I would not hesitate to bring one of the scum to the afterlife with me if that many were beating me up
    stay strong op, don't back out of it, they deserve to be locked up, if they don't who's to say it won't happen to someone else, or god forbid to you again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

OP, you need to take up hurling as a hobby. I mean, really take it up, so much that you would not be found without a hurley in your hand. Buy a hurley and a sliothar and carry them with you everywhere because of your sheer love of the game. Hop the sliothar off the hurley every now and again, maybe while going through the park or wherever there aren't people around.

Or maybe Pitch 'n' Putt, with your very favourite golf club in the whole wide world.

You can always still run if someone interrupts you violently on your way to a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

No Pants wrote: »
    OP, you need to take up hurling as a hobby. I mean, really take it up, so much that you would not be found without a hurley in your hand. Buy a hurley and a sliothar and carry them with you everywhere because of your sheer love of the game. Hop the sliothar off the hurley every now and again, maybe while going through the park of wherever there aren't people around.

Or maybe Pitch 'n' Putt, with your very favourite golf club in the whole wide world.

You can always still run if someone interrupts you violently on your way to a game.

I hear baseball is getting very popular in Ireland nowadays... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Is there anything to be said for a tazer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

No Pants wrote: »
    OP, you need to take up hurling as a hobby. I mean, really take it up, so much that you would not be found without a hurley in your hand. Buy a hurley and a sliothar and carry them with you everywhere because of your sheer love of the game. Hop the sliothar off the hurley every now and again, maybe while going through the park or wherever there aren't people around.

I have seen a few scummers in our local area adopting the same 'love of hurling' approach recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

You could always start working in a butchers and bring your belt of knives home with you every night. Maybe put a cleaver in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭UncleChael

First of all, they are unlikely to be back on the street if they have been charged with riot and attempted murder, which they should be if your story is accurate. If they aren't, you should be asking the prosecutors why not.

Second, it's important you highlight your concerns to prosecutors. Bail conditions can be placed on them to avoid this behaviour and they can be bound to the peace following conviction.

Your living in a fairytale land my friend. Stuff like this happens all the time with no consequences for the perpetrator's. Not that the Guards aren't doing there job but I have heard of a good few instances similar to the one the OP describes and I have never heard of any of them being charged with attempted murder. As for rioting? Most likely be arrested for public order offence, last time I checked scumbags were getting off fairly lightly on public order offences.
    Attempts to follow up with prosecutors are usually futile also. As for the bail conditions and bound to the peace, every scumbag and junkie in Ireland must be bound to the peace at this stage.

OP I would advise against getting a knife, as someone said it can just be taken off you. If your a boxer then I would suggest an overhand right and run.

Is there anything to be said for a tazer?

UncleChael wrote: »
    Your living in a fairytale land my friend. Stuff like this happens all the time with no consequences for the perpetrator's. Not that the Guards aren't doing there job but I have heard of a good few instances similar to the one the OP describes and I have never heard of any of them being charged with attempted murder.

Where you stabbed in the chest with a knife?
    As for rioting? Most likely be arrested for public order offence, last time I checked scumbags were getting off fairly lightly on public order offences.

Rioting is a public order offence. The only differenc ebetween riot and afray is the number of people involved. People hear riot and think it has to be some major thing but in reality it needs only 12 people acting up.

Also, producing a weapon in the course of a dispute is also a serious crime.
    Attempts to follow up with prosecutors are usually futile also.

It's up to you to make sure your voice is heard.
    As for the bail conditions and bound to the peace, every scumbag and junkie in Ireland must be bound to the peace at this stage.

Yes and they pay for it in court if they breach it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Stolen from another thread here - better to be judged by twelve than carried by six. OP you answered your own question.

I would get some help in relation to the issues you are now suffering. These things have lasting effects - this might help you make your mind up more effectively than legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Nermal

No weapon will protect you against 30 people.

I agree there's some laughably naive people on this thread, if you think people are quickly locked up for a long time for incidents like this, think again.

You need to make sure you don't encounter them again - do you live in a bad area? Move. Were you walking through one? Change your route. It's not cowardice to avoid a mob.

Nermal wrote: »
    No weapon will protect you against 30 people.

I agree there's some laughably naive people on this thread, if you think people are quickly locked up for a long time for incidents like this, think again.

You need to make sure you don't encounter them again - do you live in a bad area? Move. Were you walking through one? Change your route. It's not cowardice to avoid a mob.

Nobody said they'd be quickly locked up, although for an attempted murder it's quite possible. What they can be is restricted in their movements and prevented from interfering with the victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,362 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Here we go again.......

Nobody said they'd be quickly locked up, although for an attempted murder it's quite possible. What they can be is restricted in their movements and prevented from interfering with the victim.

Eh, fraid not:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Nermal wrote: »
    No weapon will protect you against 30 people

Eh, fraid not:o

Exactly what are you afraid of?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭trancemuzic

Get yourself some telescopic nunchaku , they will fit in your pocket and are very light but if you are attacked again and cant get away, whip them out and start swinging

Exactly what are you afraid of?

That anyone would think someone could be restricted in their movements and prevented from interfering with another. Unfortunately thats just not the case. They can be threatened with ramifications if they do so but that is generally a very poor deterrent when you consider the average attitude towards such things.

My genuine advice to op would be to either ad an edge to his boxing training- Military hand to hand comes to mind (a knife is only as effective as its reach)
    Or, given youre taking up legal action against these people, Move away to avoid any "vengeance" attempts.

• Advertisement

Why are people still suggesting nunchucks, military combat training, and other ridiculous things? If it's you against 30 other guys you are going to loose. Real life isn't some Matrix fight scene. The only effective way to deal with these situations is to avoid them. Once you are surrounded it's already too late and any weapon that you are carrying is liable to be used against you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement