Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature entry to Pharmacy

Options
  • 27-05-2014 6:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi

I am currently in Australia but I am thinking of coming home to try and study pharmacy. I have a biomedical science degree from Maynooth and I would really like to study Pharmacy as a mature student. Has anyone applied or been accepted as a mature student or does anyone have any info or insight into the process ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

Hi

I am currently in Australia but I am thinking of coming home to try and study pharmacy. I have a biomedical science degree from Maynooth and I would really like to study Pharmacy as a mature student. Has anyone applied or been accepted as a mature student or does anyone have any info or insight into the process ?

Cheers

If you are over 23 then you can apply for pharmacy through CAO. Based on your leaving cert, degree etc you will then either go for interview to assess your suitability or be included in the general shake- up. Bear in mind that the degree courses for pharmacy in Ireland are currently 4 years college plus 1 for MPharm but are changing to 5 year integrated degree from September 2015. The placement positions will not be paid.
    Another option might be to stay in Australia and study pharmacy there, the degree is recognised here and you would just need to sit the professional exam if you came back to work in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Hi

Cheers

How long have you been in Australia? Even if you are an Irish citizen you need to meet residency requirements for Irish/EU fees. Non-EU fees are steep, approximately 3-4 times the EU fees. I think you need to be resident in Ireland for 3 of the past 5 years, but I stand to be corrected on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Hi

Cheers

Could I politely inquire as to whether or not you've researched pharmacy as career? Alot of things have changed in the past several years. I'd recommend you speak to a few community pharmacists before jumping in.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

Could I politely inquire as to whether or not you've researched pharmacy as career? Alot of things have changed in the past several years. I'd recommend you speak to a few community pharmacists before jumping in.

I second that!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

OP how about biochemistry? Either way I think an access course is your best best.

• Advertisement
Advertisement