Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living & Working in Saudi Arabia

Options
  • 27-05-2014 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I'm an accountant currently working in West Africa. I have a possible opportunity to move to Al Khobar on the east coast of Saudi Arabia. Would love some advice on what to look out for and what life is like in the Dammam/Khobar region. Only thing I've found out so far is to ensure that any work contract covers all aspects of employment (accommodation/transport/leave etc.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

It would really depend on who you are working for and where you are living. Compound life in Saudi can be fine but it can also be hard and lonely. Saudi is a place to go, work, get well paid and get out. Some company compounds can be fine, fairly westernised but others can be strict. Saudi is still a hardship post and as such accommodation and transport would be provided as well as at least one annual flight. Leave depending on your level would probably range from 30 calender days to 45. I don't think rotation would apply for accountancy. As well as no bars, there are no cinemas, no mixed cafes, shops close for prayer (so you can get locked in while its going on) Interaction with the opposite sex is very limited. My info is based OH visits there, and friends that have worked there mostly engineers and a few that worked in agriculture.

Advertisement