Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM Slot not working....

Options
  • 27-05-2014 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭

I have a total of 3GB of RAM between 2 slots (1GB and 2GB), and I noticed that my computer was running fairly sluggish lately, only to find out that I only had 1GB of RAM installed. So I switched the two sticks around, and now it's giving me 2GB of RAM. So I guess one of my slots is not operational anymore.

However, I looked at my CPU-Z stats and it recognizes that there are two RAM cards still in the motherboard, telling me the total memory installed is still 3GB.

Sounds confusing, so here's two screenshots.

SYSTEM INFO
    14281302575_0c266e774c_o.png

CPU-Z INFO
    14277972251_7d95f462d1_o.png

Would anyone have any solutions, if possible? I just ordered a new CPU to bulk up my gaming options and now it seems it will just be pointless because of this. 2GB RAM is almost useless for me

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

WHats the exact spec on the 2 sticks of ram?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

jonny24ie wrote: »
    WHats the exact spec on the 2 sticks of ram?

Jesus I've no idea, unless this is what you're looking for;

14258284376_08e38898a8_o.png

If not, then I don't know where else to look :P

If there is one thing I never allowed myself to learn was the RAM. I just bought the sticks, inserted them into the slots and was good to go. All I know is that my motherboard is only capable of a max of 3GB, and I've had 3GB for the past 3 or 4 years and never had problems until now. Kind of typical, really.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Personally 3rd isn't enough anymore. What cup are ya getting? Are you going for a new mono?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

How much RAM is reported in the bios? On the post/startup screen? If CPUz is detecting the RAM in both slots I don't think the slot is an issue. Weird one..
    Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

You're using two completly different dimms (266MHz and 333MHz).
    Normally the bios will clock the faster one down to match the slower one, but it can definitely cause system instability, and probably the issue you're seeing here.

Why it's only decided to happen now is another mystery.

As a rule of thumb, when buying ram always try to buy ram with the exact same specs, and preferably from the same manufacturer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement