Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apt timer - light always on

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,092 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Have you any idea how it would need to be wired for this to happen? If each element is 3.5kw & you are saying it "
    Ends up at 1.2kw" are you sending the same live to both elements? If its a stupid guess please don't laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yea the neutral of flex into bath terminal of switch for example
    And bath wire of flex into neutral terminal of switch.

Select bath on switch and bath works properly although polarity is reversed.

Select sink though, and both elements on in series, with stat out of circuit.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Have you any idea how it would need to be wired for this to happen?
    Do the maths.

Remember the power = VI (taking the power factor to be unity)

As V is fixed the power is directly portional to the current.
    But the current is inversely proportional to the resistance.
    If both elements are connected in series the resistance increases, so the current decreases and the power decreases.

Got ya. thanks for the reply. :) And thanks Bruthal too.

Yea I didnt notice the second part of the question you asked as i was replying on the phone. 2011 answered that anyway.

Its all just as a matter of interest, but here is a rough drawing of the circuit incorrectly connected as I described. You might be able to see the circuit via both elements in series, and the stat gets bypassed, when sink is selected as per diagram. Blue is connected to bath terminal, brown to neutral, black to sink (for black sink brown bath flex).

Select bath and that works properly.
    2206643_orig.jpg

And correctly connected.
    6387536_orig.jpg

• Advertisement

Bruthal wrote: »
    Yea I didnt notice the second part of the question you asked as i was replying on the phone. 2011 answered that anyway.

Its all just as a matter of interest, but here is a rough drawing of the circuit incorrectly connected as I described. You might be able to see the circuit via both elements in series, and the stat gets bypassed, when sink is selected as per diagram. Blue is connected to bath terminal, brown to neutral, black to sink (for black sink brown bath flex).

Select bath and that works properly.
    2206643_orig.jpg

And correctly connected.
    6387536_orig.jpg

The diagram helped a lot. Thanks

The ms paint is handy for some things:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

It's actually possible to connect immersion flex incorrectly at the switch and bypass the immersion stat. Ends up at 1.2kw with both elements in series. Never seen it happen though.

What I have come across lately is where a hortsmann e15 timer or similar is used some people are removing the dual switch and replacing directly with timer connecting both elements together in the switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

Robbie.G wrote: »
    What I have come across lately is where a hortsmann e15 timer or similar is used some people are removing the dual switch and replacing directly with timer connecting both elements together in the switch.

they won't be long getting called back with problems

Probably overloading the flex neutral a bit as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

Probably overloading the flex neutral a bit as well.

and they're not suitable as a switch replacement anyhow

even if you connect one

You'd have hot water for the sink and bath at the same time at least...
    not really, in case anyone thinks I'm serious

Advertisement