Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long is reasonable to wait on carpet replacement?

Options
  • 27-05-2014 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I'll try and keep this as short as possible. Last week (Monday) the shower in my rented apartment leaked and the water ran into the bedroom soaking the carpet. I immediately rang the landlord who brought up a dehumidifier. I missed work on Monday due to waiting on him to call up.

He said he'd arrange a plumber for Tuesday to sort the leak. Plumber showed up on Tuesday and fixed the leak. I missed another half day of work for this. I showered Tuesday evening and guess what, it leaked again. Carpet is well soaked at this stage.

Wednesday, plumber again, another half day missed and by this stage a serious smell of damp has started coming out of the carpet. We had to move into the spare bedroom. Not really the end of the world but a bit annoying.

Thursday, the smell of damp is horrendous and the dehumidifier has been emptied twice. The landlord calls up and says to hold out until Monday (yesterday) and he will assess the carpet. I somewhat foolishly agreed.

Yesterday, the smell of damp is still awful. The carpet itself is dry but the underlay is still soaked. He took back the dehumidifier and said to air the room which we did.

Today, the smell is as bad. The LL has dropped up cleaning stuff for the carpet. The carpet is not dirty, the water which got into it was clean. He says he wants to wait till Friday to make a decision on replacement or not.

Now it its pretty obvious that the smell is not getting better. We are paying for a two bed apartment and effectively can only use one room due to the smell. My question is 1) Do you think the LL is taking the piss waiting two full weeks to replace damp smelling carpet and 2) Should I be seeking a rent reduction for those two weeks?

I do quite like the LL and the house. Our lease is up in August so I don't want to antagonise him into a rent increase as I would like to stay in the place next year but couldn't really afford a rent hike. As such I don't wan to play extreme hard ball unless it is totally necessary. What do you lot think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Once it bad but could you not have kept and eye on it the second time and stopped when you saw it leaking. Also putting towels down and walking on them to soak up the water would have gotten a lot of the water out of carpet.

This company in Dublin cleaned the carpets in our house www.chem2clean.com/ and did a good job. The problems is that the under lay is probably soaked and cleaning might not work. Maybe give them a call an see it they think it will work you could book them for this Saturday, it the long run it will cost less and be less hassle for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Once it bad but could you not have kept and eye on it the second time and stopped when you saw it leaking. Also putting towels down and walking on them to soak up the water would have gotten a lot of the water out of carpet.

This company in Dublin cleaned the carpets in our house www.chem2clean.com/ and did a good job. The problems is that the under lay is probably soaked and cleaning might not work. Maybe give them a call an see it they think it will work you could book them for this Saturday, it the long run it will cost less and be less hassle for you.

I did keep an eye on it. Took the side off the bath and ran the shower before I got in. It looked fine. But when I got out the drain had come lose again and water was everywhere. I immediately put towels under the bath to try catch the water before it escaped into the carpet.

Used towels too on the carpet too. The carpet itself is dry but the underlay is soaking. The de humidifier can't get any more out. I'll ring that crowd, cheers.

Advertisement