Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Text that should be first discussed in comparative?

• 27-05-2014 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭

Does it really matter in the order the texts are discussed?
    I was told to start with the novel and then compare the film and play. But I find it easier to discuss the film and then contrast it with the play and novel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ELynch96

Yes it does anchor text is always discussed first (In my case How Many Miles to Babylon?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

A7XGirl wrote: »
    Does it really matter in the order the texts are discussed?
    I was told to start with the novel and then compare the film and play. But I find it easier to discuss the film and then contrast it with the play and novel.

No it doesn't matter, pick whichever text you feel most comfortable with and use that as your 'anchor' text :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Not everyone does a novel, film and play. You can in theory study any combination of the three with the exception being that you can't do three films.

If you're most comfortable with the film you could discuss that first but most people use the novel as the 'anchor text' as there is more content.

Does anyone here do Sive? I find it nearly impossible to write about the cultural context of a play set entirely in a kitchen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭aleatorio

thelad95 wrote: »
    Not everyone does a novel, film and play. You can in theory study any combination of the three with the exception being that you can't do three films.

If you're most comfortable with the film you could discuss that first but most people use the novel as the 'anchor text' as there is more content.

Does anyone here do Sive? I find it nearly impossible to write about the cultural context of a play set entirely in a kitchen...

Its hard to write about in terms of the setting, but I make a point of saying that UNLIKE the other two texts, it takes place in a fixed location :o
    Its ok for talking about the other subsections though, Like role of men/women, political/social background, religion and whatnot :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

thelad95 wrote: »
    What does the fact that it's set in a kitchen say about the cultural context? Or for that matter, why is it set in a kitchen?

It isn't as if John B. lived all his life in a kitchen and didn't know there were any options! :pac:

A few thoughts which might be useful:

1) Before the days of 30" tvs, internet, cars, etc., the kitchen in rural Ireland was not only the centre of the house / family, but the centre for both serious business / communication between neighbours and for leisure / entertainment. People "rambled" to their neighbours much more than they do now; sometimes that meant people would gather in one house or another to chat, play cards, play music etc., but any serious business between neighbours tended to be conducted in that setting as well. The kitchen, essentially, was the site of most interaction within local society, but also the site of cultural exchange and transmission (music, song, old tales, etc.)

2) This is a play about marriage (and specifically an arranged marriage), and to an extent about the role of women in society of the time and their empowerment / disempowerment. The kitchen is traditionally the domain of the women.

3) This play is predicated to an extent on the idea that the poverty of the Galvin family drives them to the desperate act of arranging Sive’s marriage to an older local man for money and a comfortable life. According to Keane himself, the setting / kitchen should be staged so as to clearly indicate the poverty of the family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

I don't really use an 'anchor text' as such?
    I just compare each text under a heading like optimistic vs pessimistic' or 'morality'.
    That's ok too right? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 Pidge96

I almost always use Sive as the anchor but tbh it depends on the question that's asked.

Advertisement