Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones Arts Festival not running 2014

Options
  • 27-05-2014 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭

It's just been announced that the Greystones Arts Festival is not running this year which is a shame.

Fascinating timing eh - just a few days after the election .... I knew at least 4 months ago that it would not be running but it has only been made public now.

Curious and curiouser ......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

If you knew surely lots more people knew so it must have been public knowledge.
    It is a pity if we don't have an Arts Festival this year. You only miss the water when the well runs dry.
    The Festival team did trojan work over the years.
    14302317223_9c21f06c64_c.jpgArts Festival Saturday 2013 (12) by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

no Americana Roots festival this year either (I know it was more pub-based but still put on some good gigs).

Yes, these were particularly good in 2012

7709502536_4b121a392b_c.jpgAmericana & Roots Friday Huegrass @ The Hotspot by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Actually PJ a lot of locals were very disappointed when it was announced on FB today. I just don't like the way it was kept quiet until after the election nor the reasons why there is no funding available for this year.

Shame about the Roots festival too.

What is this one in Kilcoole all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What reason is being given for no funding?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Actually PJ a lot of locals were very disappointed when it was announced on FB today. I just don't like the way it was kept quiet until after the election nor the reasons why there is no funding available for this year.
    CC, what would be the advantage or disadvantage of announcing before the election. A lot of the previous funding was organised by the local town councillors. Now we don't have a town council and I am supposing a lot of local public events won't be held anymore.

What reason is being given for no funding?

Overspend last year Joey.

PJ one of the main organisers was up for election and she announced today that it would not be on. I aint no Sherlock but it's a bit suspect!

PJ one of the main organisers was up for election and she announced today that it would not be on. I aint no Sherlock but it's a bit suspect!
    What are you suspicious about, I really think it is time for innuendos to cease.
    With all due respect, if you have something to say, say it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Overspend last year Joey.

Where was that reason given?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    What are you suspicious about, I really think it is time for innuendos to cease.
    With all due respect, if you have something to say, say it out.

I don't want to get banned from the site. In hindsight if the mods want to delete this thread perhaps it would be wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭beepbeeprichie

A festival takes months of planning by many people who get nothing out of all the work put in. Wouldn't you rather local politicians spent all the time and money on improving your area rather than giving you one or two days out once a year?
    Or if your heart is set on a festival why not set up your own committee and sit down with the local authorities to discuss your ideas?
    Alas, everyone is great at moaning about these things but never raise a hand to help or help pay for it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Grainne announced it publicly on FB a couple of months ago that the Arts Festival wasn't going ahead this year.

Terry and Conor also announced that the American & Roots wasn't happening around the same time.

Terry has organised the Harbour Festival for this weekend which has a good lineup of music and plenty of entertainment for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hughjarse1

Are there accounts available for the arts festival? It would be useful to see how much it lost last year. Is it run by a public entity or a private company?

Hughjarse1 wrote: »
    Are there accounts available for the arts festival? It would be useful to see how much it lost last year. Is it run by a public entity or a private company?

Here are the contact details where you can ask >>

Call us on 086 8329686 or
    Email us on info@greystonesartsfestival.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hughjarse1

There is accounts in companies office but abridged so no real info there. Balance sheet is in funds but very small. Does not disclose revenue or expenses. Looks like a private company though.

Advertisement