Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slash - O2 Dublin - November

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭NameThatTune

I thought Slash and Miles and the conspirators were amazing. Of course for me Slash stole the show. I just loved seeing him doing his solo's and I was very close to the front. Surprised by the amount of young fans but there you go, they seemed to love the old tunes more than us aul fellas.
    The 10 minute rocket queen instrumental was amazing

Said on Facebook we'll c you next summer any mention of this at the gig?, If true support for a bigger act be most likely?

Last thing Slash did before leaving the stage, after taking his bows with the band, was say into the microphone "Thanks, we'll see you next year" and it got a great response from the crowd.

Great gig I thought, there were a couple of tunes I didn't know due to me not getting the latest album yet, but I still enjoyed every minute of the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

Enjoyed the rocket queen solo for the first five minutes, but it got a bit boring after that. Seemed to suck the energy out of the crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Monster Truck were incredible!

Gig was good, agree about the Rocket Queen solo getting a bit repetitive after the first few minutes. Dying in work right now though!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

Great gig, whole band were amazing including the support act. Thought the crowd was a bit ****. Most people just standing there doing nothing but record the entire gig on their phone, highly annoying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Slashman X wrote: »
    Great gig, whole band were amazing including the support act. Thought the crowd was a bit ****. Most people just standing there doing nothing but record the entire gig on their phone, highly annoying

Few tools in there alright, think i took 3 pics on a camera and that was it, one guy at the front (slash's side) annoyed me, bald head and wearing smart trousers and a shirt, ****er tried starting on every one who bumped into him, you're at the front of a gig FFS, only one he didn't look oddly at was me, cos i do look kinda intimidating.

As for him coming back next summer as he said on stage and on twatter after, there's no way it's gonna be another solo show, last night didn't sell out so a summer gig is too soon, he's not big enough to headline an outdoor venue (Marlay etc) so that leaves the main support slot to Foo's, DC or Metallica who are all around next year

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

scudzilla wrote: »
    Few tools in there alright, think i took 3 pics on a camera and that was it, one guy at the front (slash's side) annoyed me, bald head and wearing smart trousers and a shirt, ****er tried starting on every one who bumped into him, you're at the front of a gig FFS, only one he didn't look oddly at was me, cos i do look kinda intimidating.

As for him coming back next summer as he said on stage and on twatter after, there's no way it's gonna be another solo show, last night didn't sell out so a summer gig is too soon, he's not big enough to headline an outdoor venue (Marlay etc) so that leaves the main support slot to Foo's, DC or Metallica who are all around next year

Kilmainham ? . Would love Foo's & Slash at Slane or something

scudzilla wrote: »

I was about 12 "rows" back on the opposite side. Everyone in front of my was just standing still. 2 lads directly in front recording everything and sending Snapchat videos ffs.

Luckily there were a few lads directly beside us who were a bit of craic jumping around.

I took about 5 pics at the very start (hate the first song anyway) then just tried to enjoy the rest of the gig myself. What's the point of recording video you'll likely never even watch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Kilmainham ? . Would love Foo's & Slash at Slane or something

Hope not Kilmainham... The sounds a bit :(

Was a fantastic show; very fun! And everyone on stage seemed happy and enjoying themselves. Myles cheekbones were on fire :p

The crowd seemed lacking in atmosphere or was that just me??

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ciarraiabu1977

Zwillinge wrote: »
    Hope not Kilmainham... The sounds a bit :(

Was a fantastic show; very fun! And everyone on stage seemed happy and enjoying themselves. Myles cheekbones were on fire :p

The crowd seemed lacking in atmosphere or was that just me??

If ppl weren't so busy taking photos/videos with their smartphones they might have actually enjoyed the gig more. It was actually quite annoying-why go to a gig to "record" it, you go to a gig to jump around and enjoy the music. I was at the Slash gig in the Olympia last year and the crowd seemed more into it.
    I still enjoyed last night , Myles Kennedy is some vocalist-support band also were excellent!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Everyone in front of my was just standing still.

Is there some rule that says to have a good time you have to jump around like a feckin' eejit?

Enjoyed the gig myself, don't think it was a patch on the Olympia last time around though.

Also it's funny how we like touts when it suits us.

Is there some rule that says to have a good time you have to jump around like a feckin' eejit?

They were in the front row of a Slash gig literally just standing still and bobbing their heads a little bit. That was when they didn't have their phones out. I didn't say they weren't having a good time, just saying it was a bit **** to see the majority of the crowd like that. It was an extremely 'fast' setlist too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Enjoyed the gig myself, don't think it was a patch on the Olympia last time around though.

Also it's funny how we like touts when it suits us.

Touts ALWAYS suit me, i have never EVER paid more than 75% of face value to a tout, ya just gotta know how to speak to them and walk away if you're not happy wit the price. Last night for example, whats best for him, 40quid in his pocket or 2 tickets on his mantelpiece at end of night

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭NameThatTune

Metallica supported by Slash in Marlay Park would be class, July, Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Last night was epic except for the knobs who kept jumping in the space in front of me and I was nearer the back. If you wanted that space get in early buddy and watch the excellent Monster Truck. The audience were not as decent as the crowd at the Olympia and I was very close to pushing people as I was sick of beer getting spilled on me. Rocket Queen was one of my highlights with an epic guitar solo. The band were nice and tight with Todd doing a great job and Myles was class on vocals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

I was about 12 "rows" back on the opposite side. Everyone in front of my was just standing still. 2 lads directly in front recording everything and sending Snapchat videos ffs.

Luckily there were a few lads directly beside us who were a bit of craic jumping around.

I took about 5 pics at the very start (hate the first song anyway) then just tried to enjoy the rest of the gig myself. What's the point of recording video you'll likely never even watch

I like to be able to watch the band on stage, and be able to concentrate on them playing. I took some photos, some came out ok, others not so good.

It doesn't mean I enjoyed the gig any less than people jumping around, looking at other people jumping around, facing away from the stage, with their backs to the stage, and shouting and bellowing, roaring and singing extremely badly during Nightrain to the extent that I couldn't really hear Myles Kennedy singing.

Or people who during Sweet Child O'Mine, started pushing their way through the crowd. Or others walking through the crowd going to and from the bar/toilets in the middle of songs. If people push their way and walk through the crowd during the gig, you can be sure that anyone who stood still watching the gig can remember and appreciate more about the gig than them!:)

There were people interrupting others watching the gig by pushing their way through the crowd - walking away from the gig before the band had finished playing Paradise City!:(

I like to be able to watch the band on stage, and be able to concentrate on them playing. I took some photos, some came out ok, others not so good.

It doesn't mean I enjoyed the gig any less than people jumping around, looking at other people jumping around, facing away from the stage, with their backs to the stage, and shouting and bellowing, roaring and singing extremely badly during Nightrain to the extent that I couldn't really hear Myles Kennedy singing.

Or people who during Sweet Child O'Mine, started pushing their way through the crowd. Or others walking through the crowd going to and from the bar/toilets in the middle of songs. If people push their way and walk through the crowd during the gig, you can be sure that anyone who stood still watching the gig can remember and appreciate more about the gig than them!:)

There were people interrupting others watching the gig by pushing their way through the crowd - walking away from the gig before the band had finished playing Paradise City!:(

I didn't say "how can they enjoy watching it like that" I just said I didn't like seeing it, especially seeing as it appeared to me as if they were "uninterested" in the other members of the band (Once Slash came over to them they started cheering, taking pictures etc). Surely a seated ticket would suit "those types" better?

Yeah, Sweet Child was a disaster of lads jumping on other lads shoulders to record it.

Different strokes for different folks and all that, but it was a very fast paced gig and seeing people at the very front just standing there casually bobbing their heads was a bit sh*t. Last few gigs I was at in the 02/Point weren't like that at all so maybe it was just a shock to me, especially the Snapchat recordings of songs, Jesus Christ that annoyed me (mainly cos he had 1 unseen snap all night)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

I didn't say "how can they enjoy watching it like that" I just said I didn't like seeing it, especially seeing as it appeared to me as if they were "uninterested" in the other members of the band (Once Slash came over to them they started cheering, taking pictures etc). Surely a seated ticket would suit "those types" better?

Yeah, Sweet Child was a disaster of lads jumping on other lads shoulders to record it.

Different strokes for different folks and all that, but it was a very fast paced gig and seeing people at the very front just standing there casually bobbing their heads was a bit sh*t. Last few gigs I was at in the 02/Point weren't like that at all so maybe it was just a shock to me, especially the Snapchat recordings of songs, Jesus Christ that annoyed me (mainly cos he had 1 unseen snap all night)

Hi Slashman X

I wasn't accusing you of criticising people, I was just making an observation that if people are jumping around or wandering around during a gig, or pushing into people trying to get near the stage, they can't really be able to pay attention to the music being played.:)

It'd be like taking part in walls of death and circle pits at home, whilst at the same time trying to watch television!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Im actually fed up of people and their stupid ****ing phones. They need to ban them at gigs. Everyone was on em. I mean everyone around. One lad in front of me was looking up sky sports stuff on his phone bang in the middle of sweet child o mine.

Hi Slashman X

I wasn't accusing you of criticising people, I was just making an observation that if people are jumping around or wandering around during a gig, or pushing into people trying to get near the stage, they can't really be able to pay attention to the music being played.:)

It'd be like taking part in walls of death and circle pits at home, whilst at the same time trying to watch television!:D

That's true, but it is possible to jump up and down, enjoy the music and the craic while also making sure not to "interfere" with others. Like I said before, it's different strokes really. I was just shocked that it was mainly the "stand and listen" people who filled up the front rows at a fast-paced Slash gig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Finally i have the energy to manage to put some thoughts on the gig last night, thought it was brilliant setlist that the band played, great to hear "Nightrain" been played early on as the second song in. Good to hear a lot of songs from the new album too.

Agree with some posters about how the differences in venues in comparisons to the last time the band played.Thought The Olympia was a better location, i prefer the intimacy of the venue and you can get really involved. Having said that there was great crowd that turned up, good to see a wide spread of ages, dads/mothers with sons/daughters, even granddads with their grandkids, Slash is universally loved by people of all ages :D

Pity "Civil War" wasnt played as Myles really puts a lot of welly into that song, but that been said, his voice is exceptional and was really struck by how much he was interacting with the fans, especially keeping a concerned eye on those that were getting crushed near the end, telling the others "to move back a little bit", good on him, thats great to see.

Slash's long solo on "Rocket Queen", yeah it did go on a little bit, but it is Slash playing, so it was to be expected, it did have the invite for a long solo piece i guess.

Only caught the last few songs from Monster Truck, but was very impressed , that drummer can really hit those drums!!!!, but will definitely check out more of their stuff.

Hopefully we will see them back next year, Slash did say that i guess, Marlay Park type venue, support with Metallica, one can dream, yeah??? :P

Oh yeah and on some of the crowd using phones, there was one girl a couple of feet in front of me constantly using it to record a lot of the gig, i dunno, pay money for a ticket and out pops the phone zooming into the front stage, she also used it as an annoying lighthouse type/beacon for her friend to look for her, while practically blinding a few people around her, advice, "if your friend cant find you, then move your *** to find them and meet a sensible location, ie. bar",

But roll on for Slash and Myles back for 2015, looking forward to it :)

My best memory from last night was there was this drunk girl walking aimlessly through the crowd for most of the gig, didn't seem your typical rock fan. Anyway she was jumping into people's pictures and stuff, harmless fun all being said.
    So she walked past and jumped into one of my mates pictures, he said to her "are you not even paying attention ", she responds "ah sure I'm only here to see axl ", so my mate says "do you even know where you are? ", and she walks off, turns around and says "you're in the jungle baby, YOU'RE GONNA DIE!!"

It was fantastic! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

My best memory from last night was there was this drunk girl walking aimlessly through the crowd for most of the gig, didn't seem your typical rock fan. Anyway she was jumping into people's pictures and stuff, harmless fun all being said.
    So she walked past and jumped into one of my mates pictures, he said to her "are you not even paying attention ", she responds "ah sure I'm only here to see axl ", so my mate says "do you even know where you are? ", and she walks off, turns around and says "you're in the jungle baby, YOU'RE GONNA DIE!!"

Class :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

She wasn't a fake tan peroxide blonde type was she? If so I met her at the bar.

She wasn't a fake tan peroxide blonde type was she? If so I met her at the bar.

That's probably the one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Nodferatu

Oh there was an oldish man with a bald head near the back doing the same going through the crowd randomly dancing in peoples faces with the dumbest dance moves ever. At one stage was doing the monty python silly walk. And then there was another guy just off his face completely on another planet doing something similar to a guy at the back, proceeded to take off his leather jacket and hand it to him and picks up an empty beer cup and place it on his head like slashs tophat and stares at him face to face for a few moments and then walks away...

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Was debating weather to go to this gig or not, was never a huge fan of Slash, but I bought a ticket, and I can genuinely say that was just about the most fun I've ever had doing anything. I've been a huge fan of Alter Bridge and Myles for years, and Myles definitely didn't disappoint, neither did Slash or the rest of the band. Hell, even Monster Truck was incredible. I absolutely lost it during Sweet Child and Paradise City.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

Great gig alright, agree with all the talk about annoying smart?phones being held up. The Conspirators were on fire, really tight band. World on Fire a highlight for me. Would deffo go see them again.

Don't agree that you have to jump around etc to enjoy the gig though....

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

There was one girl with a red baseball cap, kept pushing people out of the way as she walked from the stage to the back and back again. She was having a great time dancing to the backing music when nobody was on stage, but she looked in the horrors for the rest of the gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 J.Bee

I can't believe there is actually people here complaining that they went to a Slash gig and heard a long solo! Just shows that some people really do go for a night out rather than appreciating the music, Slash is a guitarist! You bought a ticket to see a legendary guitarist who played an amazing long solo during Rocket Queen which I thought was amazing.

Advertisement