Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off lead dog walking in Maynooth

Options
  • 27-05-2014 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know of a good area to go off lead walking with my Rottie Lab x in Maynooth or surrounding area? Or even dog walking clubs in the area that operate during the day (school times) Were new to the area and the OH would like to meet up with like minded people.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Lots of people let their dogs off lead in Castletown in Celbridge. As you enter from main street go through the gate into the field on the right. Technically it's a leaded area but never had a problem there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Lots of people do it along the canal too (just not the harbour area)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Castletown is the best, acres upon acres of wide space, but the canal would be next. You can walk to Kilcock or Leixlip and back.

You're not supposed to let your dogs off in the south campus of the college or in the Carton Estate, but I do :o (she's really good and doesn't stray far/ doesn't pick up golf balls!)

The Avenue just off the main street is grand for a space to play around a bit if you don't have time for a long walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭mobby

That dog is on the list of Restricted Breeds and so should not be let of lead in a public area. I have seen a small dog attacked and killed some years ago by a similer type dog in castletown not a very nice sight as it was with its owner and young son. I love dogs but you cannnot let a dog like that off lead in an area where there are lots of familys and young childern out walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Mobby....

Just, stop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

mobby wrote: »
    That dog is on the list of Restricted Breeds and so should not be let of lead in a public area. I have seen a small dog attacked and killed some years ago by a similer type dog in castletown not a very nice sight as it was with its owner and young son. I love dogs but you cannnot let a dog like that off lead in an area where there are lots of familys and young childern out walking.

Ah mobby, my German Sheppard is restriced breed but the worst damage he would do to anyone is lick them to death.

All dogs need to be trained/walked off the lead at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

How does that restricted breed thing work in designated off lead areas like the corral in Corkaigh Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Orion wrote: »
    How does that restricted breed thing work in designated off lead areas like the corral in Corkaigh Park?

Still needs to be on a lead, as is the law. End of story.

If you want a restricted breed and want it off-lead it needs to be on private land. Otherwise it has to be leashed and muzzled with a maximum 2M leash and handled by someone over 16. And it does apply to cross-breeds of restricted breeds also.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Ah sure, the red light doesn't apply to me.

Ah sure, that money was only resting in my account.

Ah sure..

We don't get to choose which laws we follow, and we don't tolerate you trying to find ways around them here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement