Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Maggots

• 27-05-2014 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭

I'm sure its not news to some but i can confirm there are maggots in Galway :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

we had a case 3 weeks ago in the east...never had one so early, I was lucky to spot the poor fella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

There were maggots in Galway weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Are you referring to canvassers for the elections Con!

Are you referring to canvassers for the elections Con!

Just the usual ones, didn't see the doorstep type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Haven't had time to treat lambs yet for maggot protection,have used Clik last few years,expensive but works well.
    Hope to get to them over the wkd,definitely dodgy weather for dirty ended ewes of which we have a few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Bought click there. I was surprised how the clikzen was nearly the same price as it. It did the same amount of animals but has shorter coverage.
    Click is definately better value.
    I know it has a longer withdrawal.- but still.

Will do the lambs the weekend. The ewes are starting to suffer. only had 1 small case of maggots so far. shearer due soon so hopefully won't get too bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Just a silly thought , if you didn't have click, or anything like that, would Stockholm tar be good warding off the fly. Maybe a bit of tar on the lambs shoulder and over the tail ? Would the smell of it put off the fly from laying eggs. What did people do years ago before click was invented ?

Just a silly thought , if you didn't have click, or anything like that, would Stockholm tar be good warding off the fly. Maybe a bit of tar on the lambs shoulder and over the tail ? Would the smell of it put off the fly from laying eggs. What did people do years ago before click was invented ?

Compulsory dipping (never should have been got rid of).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Years ago they dipped them in salty water, organophosphate was used in ww1 as a nerve gas before it became an insecticide / sheep dip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

can understand dirty sheep getting maggots,but when they get hit on the shoulder or on the back of perfectly clean sheep....there seem to be some real maggot magnets.

once upon a time
    I bought a ram once he was perfectly clean but a couple of weeks later he got flystrike across his loin,the following summer his lambs were the first to get hit.and his daughters(not all of them)appeared more suseptable.and would get struck across their loin in september.
    culled the ram after 4years and retained a son of his who bred very well and never got 'strike and his daughters did not have a noticiably higher rate of infection.

didnt think much about it until a friend asked me if I thought there could be a genetic influence to fly strike after he had a similar experience.
    It probably is some sheep sweat more than others but
    got to sayI would not buy any sheep that had evidence of fly strike.

• Advertisement

Think the NZ'ers have done some research on genetic flystrike potential. Has to be something in it with clean sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Just after dosing all my ewes and lambs today. 4 ewes out if 100 had a touch of fly strike . Wouldn't mind but they were clean sheep. I was trying to get them sheared this weekend , but after checking a few of them the other night I knew that they were just not fit to shear yet. Moved to new pasture now so hopefully they'll put on condition fast and I can get them sheared. I cannt remember getting fly strike this early last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭supersean1999

There is maggots in galway all year. Sorry i had to say it

There is maggots in galway all year. Sorry i had to say it

Spot the real ones, some are only acting :D

Had a ewe and a lamb with waggy tails this morning so I said I'd pen them all up, mostly twin ewes, and shear them. Flew through the first 4 handy, the fifth one broke my heart. Fleece hadn't risen, took me longer to shear that one than the others put together. Out with the knapsack and two fills of dip and opened the gate, will leave them another fortnight yet.

Advertisement