Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

3D Printing a Sunroof Part

Options
  • 27-05-2014 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a slightly unusual query. I have a boat with 2 Farmont F600 Sunroofs fitted. These are aftermarket type tilt & slide sunroofs from the 70's & 80's. The units are no longer manufactured and there are no parts available.
    I was wondering if there are any companies around who could use a 3D printer to replicate the handle assembly for me?
    Has anyone any experience of this?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

No experience of this however if you can get the part in question drawn up in the appropriate CAD program, then there are quite a few places online that will "print it off".

Maybe also consider how it broke and modify the design slightly to prevent future breakage?

Perhaps something you might be able to rope a keen student in the relevant discipline into doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭kyote00

There is a place in Rathmines in Dublin that will print for you. http://3dprintingdublin.ie/3dprint/

They print in PLA (softish) and ABS (hard but can be brittle).

Also, the finish (colour and texture) may not be what you need. It is also hard to get paint to stick if you need to change colour.

The biggest issue is that you need a 3d model of the part --- which is a bit different than a CAD drawing. 3d models are essentially point planes in slices.

that said, I printed a knob for a radio (in black) --- took me about a month to get the model right
    Donie75 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a slightly unusual query. I have a boat with 2 Farmont F600 Sunroofs fitted. These are aftermarket type tilt & slide sunroofs from the 70's & 80's. The units are no longer manufactured and there are no parts available.
    I was wondering if there are any companies around who could use a 3D printer to replicate the handle assembly for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

kyote00 wrote: »
    There is a place in Rathmines in Dublin that will print for you. http://3dprintingdublin.ie/3dprint/

They print in PLA (softish) and ABS (hard but can be brittle).

Also, the finish (colour and texture) may not be what you need. It is also hard to get paint to stick if you need to change colour.

The biggest issue is that you need a 3d model of the part --- which is a bit different than a CAD drawing. 3d models are essentially point planes in slices.

that said, I printed a knob for a radio (in black) --- took me about a month to get the model right

Thought ABS was bendy..most bike plastics are ABS...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Hi,

What you need is possible. But it will be expensive as what you require is a part being designed for a very very small run ( 1 or 2 )

As far as I know, we are not able to automatically 'copy' parts, we design them from scratch, printing is the easy bit.

How much are you willing to pay for the handle?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Apparently Proton fitted these to Persona model cars in the 90s.
    Surely getting a handle that fits from a car would be a better idea?

Is this the type of thing you're looking for?
    http://kleinanzeigen.ebay.de/anzeigen/s-anzeige/farmont-inalfa-kurbelgriff-kurbel-m-zubehoer-fuer-schiebedach-f600/182321786-223-6206

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Thanks folks.

Colm, that is the exact piece I am after but I would need to piece that bolts onto.
    It's looking like it will be way too complex to 3D print it.
    I think my best bet would be to make an alternative handle. The innards of the handle/spindle connection is all chewed up. There are a few holes in the spindle that I use to turn the mechanism so I'm considering making something that will fit into the holes that I can attach to a small batery screwdriver or drill.

Thanks for your help. In the meantime I'll also keep an eye on Ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

There are a few holes in the spindle that I use to turn the mechanism so I'm considering making something that will fit into the holes that I can attach to a small batery screwdriver or drill.

Sounds like an adapter made up attached to a 3/8 drive speedbrace would be better .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Why not post some photos of your broken sunroof parts and maybe someone will suggest something that will be a neat fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

Gumtree: 3D Printing Service Ireland
    3D Printing Service Ireland
    Fast 3D printing service available with next day shipping across Ireland. We cater for both individuals and businesses. Anything from phone covers / key rings to industrial prototypes. For a free quote visit us at quote button at www.3dprintme.ie If you are stuck for ideas check out www.thingiverse.com, download your file and email it to us for a price. If you have an idea but just do not know how to create a 3D model we have CAD engineers to help!
    other

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭charcosull

Probably not worth doing. Even the best 3D printed resins are no where near as strong as actual plastic parts. Pricey too.
    Laser Prototypes in Belfast are probably one of the best places in the country for this though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Limerick Fab Lab - I posted links in this thread to the UL 3D printing workshops, they run evenings where you can bring in a broken part and they will scan & print it, it'd be worth giving them an email

Advertisement