Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review sites you trust

Options
  • 27-05-2014 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Since the watch dogs thread looks to be overwhelmed by people saying how games review sites and mags are untrustworthy and crap, i was wondering what sites you actually trust.

Personally, I dont have one, but read reviews from a few before making a decision.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I normally check out Polygon first. But always value friends/boards opinions first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I tend to trust eurogamer or usgamer but then that really depends on the reviewer as well. There's some there I trust and a few I don't.

Metro game central have been really consistent the last while in terms of handing out review scores I agree with.

Polygon have been good as well but then that depends on the reviewer as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Thorin

It's not about blind "trust". A good review should give you enough information to make your own decisions, and discuss the various elements of a game/movie. A review that's just filled with adjectives (awesome, awful, dated, etc) is just describing the reviewer's opinion, not the game itself.

I know I've watched a good review when I think "I disagree with your conclusion, but I understand the reasons that you reached it".

For PC games, Rock Paper Shotgun is my first call, and MovieBob on the Escapist site has some good videos and articles.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Watching gameplay online is what I usually use to decide whether to buy or not, if I like the look of the gameplay I might read a review a two.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I don't read reviews. Not because i don't trust them but because I think lets plays and quick looks have alot more value and help me determine whether I will enjoy it or not.

For this reason Giantbomb really is the only site i use. That and the odd youtube video

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I play/watch/listen to everything myself and make up my own mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

GiantBomb

Here's their Watch Dogs review for you: http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/watch-dogs-review/1900-644/

Not as many reviews anymore, mostly 30-90 minute quick looks but they're always brutally honest in their opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

IGN............ No wait

Seriously though if it were a game i was buying day one and couldn't get any opinions from forums like here Id make sure to look at a few sources. Its rare i buy a game day one though.

My last few day one purchases were always going to be great and i didn't need scores for them.

Halo 4
    Mario 3d world
    Donkey Kong tropical freeze
    Tearaway
    and getting Mario kart 8 on Friday.

I'm more of a casual gamer though in fairness generally going for games that have been out so long i get them for a tenner or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

VideoGamer.com

Seem to be pretty on the ball with their reviews. Again, as another person mentioned, you're going to go and make up your own mind anyway. It's just wondering if it's worth buying or waiting a while until it drops / secondhand.

Also the comment about magazines: GamesTM is amazing! Much better than Edge...in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭prq

Totalbiscuit and Angry Joe

Also average Metacritic scores

And eventually, I ask my friends on Steam! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The guys at Giantbomb seem to like the same kind of games I do, so them and Eurogamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I dont trust a single one. I do watch Game Trailers reviews though, more of a habit I guess.
    I watch youtube for my info on games. I got a few youtubers that I watch and those most of the time are better then any review out there.

This place is great for info on games. Mostly I would trust boards.ie, then all review websites.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The guys at Giantbomb seem to like the same kind of games I do, so them and Eurogamer.

Can't stand the guys at Giantbomb. Totally different tastes to me and really only talk about the triple AAA games or big indie games which I can get from anywhere. Also anyone that says the combat in the souls games is terrible needs a smack.

What's the story with Edge? Do they only publish reviews on their website after they appear in the printed magazine or what?

prq wrote: »
    Totalbiscuit

His Steam reviews are spot on. And quite funny when he gets a horrible game. Hope the guy recovers soon (cancer teamliquid.net/forum/starcraft-2/449515-total-biscuit-diagnosed-with-bowel-cancer-updated)
    prq wrote: »
    Angry Joe

Not too sure why, but I can't stand him!

What's the story with Edge? Do they only publish reviews on their website after they appear in the printed magazine or what?

The problem with Edge is that they are wildly inconsistent at times (famously so, even in their first issue they gave Gunstar Heroes a 6/10, never forget!) and the reason for this is that the reviews are based on the 'voice of the magazine'. They don't give writers a by line which is disgraceful in itself but even if a review is by one person only you don't know who that person is and you can't compare their views to your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

There's no one source I'll always agree with, so I tend to use MetaCritic, GameRankings etc, as well as watching Let's Play videos and reading forum feedback.

Back in the day I was a big fan of RPS, PC Gamer and EuroGamer and I still check in with them occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Giantbomb. Not that i trust them 100% and would buy anything they say is good, but i enjoy the quicklooks and make up my own mind on the game

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The problem with Edge is that they are wildly inconsistent at times (famously so, even in their first issue they gave Gunstar Heroes a 6/10, never forget!) and the reason for this is that the reviews are based on the 'voice of the magazine'. They don't give writers a by line which is disgraceful in itself but even if a review is by one person only you don't know who that person is and you can't compare their views to your own.

Yeah that's a bit odd alright, all their online reviews just say Edge Staff.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I tend mostly to listen to what Boardsies have to say :) There's enough of us here long enough to have a general idea of who likes what and so on. I will also watch streams of gameplay of new games if it's a game I have a vague interest in. TotalBiscuit's WTF Is...? series is always useful too and since taking over reviews at The Escapist, I'll keep an eye out for Jim Sterling's thoughts too. TB in particular spends time on things like settings and performance options which is essential to a PC player. Polygon and Eurogamer I'll read in the absence of time to watch a vid. Also, generally speaking, if Jerry Holkins/Tycho of Penny-Arcade likes a game, I tend to like it too, we have very similar tastes. So if he mentions something in the comments on a strip, I'll look into it, but that's less review and more recommendation.

I've not "pre-ordered" anything in a long time because it's really, really, REALLY fking stupid thing to do (point in case, 5 versions of Watch_Dogs and a lot of pre-ordering made based on "next gen launch day title" and "ZOMFG lookit how pretty at E3!"). It also means I am almost never going to spend money on a product I won't enjoy as a result. This is how things used to work and can work again if we all just stop supporting this pre-order culture of bollocks. I would also respectfully suggest that if you have to pre-order and have no other way of getting a game within a few days of launch due to geography or other circumstances, I sympathise with you and I obviously exclude you from the "really stupid" thing above :)

• Advertisement

Shiminay wrote: »
    I tend mostly to listen to what Boardsies have to say :)

Says the user with the 'PC master race' avatar! :pac:

Yes...? I play almost exclusively on my PC for the last 4 years, the only significant departure from that has been to play GTA V on my 360 (which has served me admirably as a platform, but cannot hope to compete against my PC for my time). You know this entire site was started by and for PC Gamers, right?

Shiminay wrote: »
    Yes...? I play almost exclusively on my PC for the last 4 years, the only significant departure from that has been to play GTA V on my 360 (which has served me admirably as a platform, but cannot hope to compete against my PC for my time). You know this entire site was started by and for PC Gamers, right?

Whoa there! I was just making reference that I knew where your avatar was from. Sarcasm doesn't really translate well in text. I wasn't trying to start a platform flame war or anything.

Really wish I could get a decent gaming rig. Friend of mine recently purchased an alienware laptop and showed me Borderlands 2 running perfectly on it (a lot smoother than my 360 version that's for sure!). Also keeps rubbing in all the Steam deals he's getting.

Does anyone trust those Steam user reviews, or is it just spam?

LOL, those Alienware things aren't even very good. A self-built machine will save you hundreds and will run far better.

Conveying sarcasm in text is a real skill. Sorry for jumping back, I just didn't get what you were trying to say at all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Eurogamer are the only site I still read and will trust reviews from. I find myself agreeing with the majority of their reviews and their hardware team do some great articles too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Have always liked Eurogamer and have been using USgamer quite a bit recently, like RPGgamer but they can go a bit overboard at times.

RPGamer can be good for news but I'd never trust their reviews, they're all over the place.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

In order of trust, I generally go with Boardies recommendations, Rock Paper Shotgun, Ars Technica, and then have Polygon and Eurogamer* at the same level.

*I used to trust Eurogamer much more, but their coverage of the Xbox One and all its faults has been overly reactionary. While I have no problem with any site or reviewer that wants to attack Microsoft for all their (many) missteps during the recent console launch, Eurogamer have gone overboard with the snarkyness which seems to be a feature of most articles regarding any Xbox One news. It just makes me question if their judgement is being coloured. All academic to me really, most of my gaming happens on PC now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Editors move sites fairly frequently so I don't follow sites but editors. Arthur Gies, Kevin VanOrd, Keza McDonald, etc. Find reviewers who's opinions match your own and you can't really go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Watching gameplay online is what I usually use to decide whether to buy or not.
    This is always my starting point. I don't watch 'professional' reviews from gaming companies or magazines at all. Instead I look for gameplay vids with 'average Joe' commentary. If it looks interesting I'll come to boards.ie and browse related threads.
    I'm more of a casual gamer though in fairness generally going for games that have been out so long i get them for a tenner or so.
    Unfortunately, that describes my gaming activity to a tee, these days :)

I don't trust professional reviewers at all.

Advertisement