Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review sites you trust

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

r3nu4l wrote: »
    This is always my starting point. I don't watch 'professional' reviews from gaming companies or magazines at all. Instead I look for gameplay vids with 'average Joe' commentary.

...or no commentary at all!

There's a YouTube channel I found recently called Alzu Gaming (youtube.com/user/AlzuGaming).

He, or she, puts up playthroughs of recent releases without commentary. It's a sigh of relief from the likes of those idiots (in my opinion!) like Pewdiepie or Markiplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Think we had a similar thread before......

If I remember correctly...the majority said they didn't trust any review sites really, but mostly went on opinions/threads from boards.ie members and their experiences with the games.

Edit : Found it....thread title Who are your trusted reviewers

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87566588

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

...or no commentary at all!
    Yup, happy with that too!

[/QUOTE]It's a sigh of relief from the likes of those idiots (in my opinion!) like Pewdiepie or Markiplier.[/QUOTE]
    I've only ever watched about 4 Pewdiepie vids. I know he's a YouTube sensation but he makes me want to batter my PC monitor with a hammer :) When I said commentary, I really did mean the 'average Joe' reviewer, not a YouTube star reviewing, just an ordinary Joe who decides to upload a video of them playing through the game and commenting on their experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Yer man Rad Brad isn't too bad either, he doesn't talk during cutscenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Not too sure why, but I can't stand him!

I don't like him either, but I do know why. It's because he has made a persona out of being angry at video game stuff, and since it's his job he has to make new videos every week, regardless of whether there is anything that justifies any anger. There's also the fact that the whole format of "telling it like it is" is pretty clichéd at this point.

I tend to check out Gametrailers reviews myself, I don't give much heed to their scores but the footage is usually pretty good. I generally check out Zero Punctuation reviews too, which are generally pretty critical but still fair.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Personally because even the really really, omfg who wanted to torture the players this badly, type of games such as Thor still ends up with a 3/10 score for some odd reason (well that and most games are reviewed for console and I'm a PC Master Race kind of guy :P ). I'm usually sticking with TB, Force Gaming (good channel for various HS decks and Magic but does the occasional game) and Meta critic (checking out the lower scoring reviews to see what's the complaints are rather then going on the score itself).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

GamesTM
    Official Playstation Magazine, since I know quite a few of them writers, so trust their opinions.
    Leon Cox who writes for BT.

Any of the bigger ones, IGN, gamestop, etc, wouldn't trust them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think it'd be his humour. There have been videos he's done where I couldn't sit through all of them due to some of the jokes just falling flat. I do consider him to be a good reviewer though.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Angry Joe comes across more as an irritated fanboy in some of his stuff rather than an unbiased reviewer.

• Angry Joe comes across more as an irritated fanboy in some of his stuff rather than an unbiased reviewer.

In fairness that's to appease to the youtube masses with all the shouting and exaggeration etc..the youth of today love that ****e for some reason. Same with those let's play videos.

The meat of his reviews are well written and honest once you push the other stuff aside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Totalbiscuit is great for PC games and he will call out bad ports of games.

Angry Joe's reviews tend to be spot on despite the wacky antics he gets up to.

Jim Sterling is like a mix of the two above and his you tube show is pretty cool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Angry Joe used to be absolutely terrible but he really put his foot in it with a few developers and was made look like twat that he was. He's gotten a lot better since then and seems to give a lot more constructive criticism rather than just ranting for the sake of it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I can't deal with the Angry Joe character at all, idiots shouting and roaring at a camera like him and Pewdiepie and that fkwit Simon from Yogscast and all the rest just make me want to switch off and commit a hate crime, but I am 36 years old, so I guess some parts of me have grown up despite my best efforts :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pewdiepie has a whole other dimension of bellend to himself. Can't understand how he is so popular.

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pewdiepie has a whole other dimension of bellend to himself. Can't understand how he is so popular.

This; it's what gets him the views, endless Americans under the age of 13.
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    In fairness that's to appease to the youtube masses with all the shouting and exaggeration etc..the youth of today love that ****e for some reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Retr0gamer wrote: »

That's at least on theory on the subject :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I quite like the angry Joe show, now that he's dialed down the rage somewhat. he doesn't hate for the sake of it (like Spoony does). Someone I really can't stand is Total biscuit. He just seems so up his own arse in the videos that iv'e seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Retr0gamer wrote: »

It's to do more with Youtube's user base than anything else. A huge portion/possible majority of the active base are quite young. There are a lot of 10-16 year olds on there compared to other individual age groups, due to the fact that it's such a new medium. PDP might seem like an awful load of rubbish but I remember liking a load of stuff at that age that I really have no time for now. There is also the fact that Youtube's newest algorithms tend to favour and help promote those who are already the most popular which means he's showing up as "recommended" on a lot of of people's Youtube homepages.
    Nody wrote: »
    I know it's not a review channel but I'm not a fan of Game Theory either. I used to be subscribed and watched a few videos but the guy's sort of awkward, campy humour and frequent off-topic sexual innuendos put me off. His theories also seem to regularly rely on dubious assumptions and speculation rather than actual evidence too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

If anyone uses or used CVG or Edge they will be closing down due to Future Publishing suffering huge loses for the first half of this year.

Advertisement