Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is This Why I Failed The NCT?

• 27-05-2014 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

So basically I brought my 2006 VW Golf MK5 for it's NCT pretty confident it would pass as I just had it serviced and some parts replaced as needed.

And then of course it failed.. apparently because of my headlights. I asked was the head light aim (which I was pretty sure it couldn't be because they are definitely low enough) and the tester said it wasn't, and that he never even did those tests.

I struggled to understand exactly what he was saying due to his accent and he didn't really seem to care, he just kept saying "your mechanic will fix it".. In the end I think he said that it was the visual appearance of the light that caused it to fail.

On my NCT form is says under "Visual/Aural Defects" - Item - "Head Lamp Conditiion (30)" - Description - "Dip Beam" - Reason - "Incorrect/Different" - Location - "Offside" - FAIL/REFUSAL

I'm quite puzzled because the car passed the NCT the year before, and not a thing has been touched on the headlights!

I dropped into my mechanic on the way home and he was unsure what to make of it. The only reason he could possibly see was that my Drivers side headlight is a replacement lens, where as the Passenger side is the original VW lens. On the VW lens it has the VW logo on it, where as the replacement one doesn't

I looked up that item number it failed on in the NCT Manual and it says nothing about having a different lens..

So could that be why it failed? Seems a bit silly to me, because that doesn't affect how it operates at all!

I just want to know for certain before a spend some money to get a genuine lens to match up with it..

Any advise is much appreciated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

If its a visual then no fee should apply for a retest. Just bring it in as is and hope the new guy is happy enough. Some fairly questionable inspectors in NCT centres. Always has been, always will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭robobobo

Well the problem is he failed it before he even carried out the light tests (Which I'm pretty sure I saw him do) but according to the NCT report he failed it before checking any of the head light aims, so it has to be put back in on the machine with the retest fee :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Move the lens about with your hand to make sure it's fixed in tight. That's all I can think off. Strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Go back to the test center and ask to speak to a manager. Youre entitled to know exactly what the car failed on (otherwise you cant get it sorted), and if the inspector cant/wont elaborate on the issue then you need to go above their head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Sounds like the new lens might not have the CE marking or safety markings. Where did you get it? Was it a cheap replacement for a previously damaged one?

Sounds like the most likely reason from the details given so far...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Spike Witwicky

Did you buy the headlight outside of Ireland? It could be a lhd unit instead of rhd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

I would:
    Bring the car back to get it retested (free) without changing anything.
    If it fails again: Ask the manager or different mechanic why exactly.

I wouldn't be surprised if you pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭robobobo

The headlight was replaced prior to me owning it so I'm not certain about where it came from, I have noticed that the fittings on the back of it are different from the original one. I can't see safety ratings on it either, so it quite possibly could be a cheap replacement.

My mechanic suggested I replace it, as it is now showing condensation in it as well (didn't have any for the test though) so I picked up this one on Micks Garage
    http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=897356

Hopefully this will do the trick!

Advertisement