Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triathlon Wetsuit for beginner?

Options
  • 27-05-2014 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi - I started running and cycling last year and have completed a few duathlons and have been learning to swim over the past few months. Next step is to purchase a wetsuit for triathlons :)
    I've taken a look online at Wheelworx and GreatOutdoors and they are coming in around 200 euro, but someone has sent me information on a brand called C-skin and those ones are approx 100 euro. Is anyone familiar with that brand? Would that be suitable for Triathlons or more for surfing?
    Any recommendation regarding brands or shops to look at in Dublin would be greatly appreciated or any pointers. I'd like to get one that would give me additional buoyancy and flexible in the arms as I'm still learning to swim but need to keep below 200 euro. Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

never heard of that brand, some decent brands available for under €200 especially if you are happy with a 2013 model:

try an Orca s4 or a zone3 advance, both decent enough entry level suits

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Looks like C-Skins only have Surf-wetsuits which are not suitable for Tri-swimming.

IMO - you really do have to get the fit right for a tri-wetsuit. Much more important than other water sports.

You might be lucky re. size if you drop out to Cycle Superstore and check out their sale rack. (You also might be lucky and get someone who will take an interest in your trying to buy an onsale wetsuit :( ).

I paid a little over €200 in Base2Race for a TYR suit at the lower end of the range - 2-years ago and the service was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

What size are you? Height, weight.
    I've a speedo one in great nick that doesnt fit me anymore, have been meaning to put it up here for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

if i were you i would try and borrow an ordinary surf wetsuit for your first tri as these will give you extra buoyancy over a tri specific one. it would also give you a chance to see if the tri game is for you. swimming would be my strongest and i did my first tri in a surf one . i have since got a tri specific one and am faster in it but i would say for a swimming beginner any loss in speed would be outweighed by extra buoyancy. just my thoughts on a cheap way of testing the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Political Wall Map

I got a Nice suit off wiggle. Blue Seventy

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/blueseventy-pivot-wetsuit-2014/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

• Registered Users Posts: 35 fully floating

Seen some suits on swimcyclerun was thinking bout getting one myself, but was not to sure about it because of sizing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Sizing on wetsuits is mad!! You can almost never rely on manufacturers size charts and the only way to truly know is to go somewhere and try one on, and preferably get a few minutes swimming wearing the suit. There are few places that can accommodate this unfortunately but if you're near Dublin you could do worse than to drop into Base2Race in Ballymount and get a fitting done.

Just for reference, at 5'10" (178cms) and 80kgs I am wearing an XL Speedo Tri Comp which is sized for someone 185-192cms and 90-104kgs. Fits me a like a glove and is super comfy - go figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭dubdub123

Hey guys - thanks so much for all the advice. Got into the Great Outdoors at the w/e to take a look and the guy recommend Zone 3 Vision - they stock the Advance as well but he reckoned if I needed the additional help for being a beginner, the Vision one would offer that. I tried on two sizes for the ladies Vision wetsuit , medium and large. I'm approx 5 foot 7 and around 145 lbs and according to the size chart Medium should fit but it was extremely tight on the shoulders (and I have small shoulders..) We tried on the large and that seemed much better fit although I have nothing to compare to. I didn't buy it as it was 250 but I've just seen that there's an on-line sale.

Any further comments on this brand? And would the Zone 3 Advance be similarly sized - that one is currently 159 euro and the Vision is 200 euro.. Any help would be great ! Thanks

• Advertisement

You probably didn't put on the medium properly.

If you look on YouTube you'll find a few videos showing how to put them on.

Essentially you have to keep pulling it up till it's comfortable around the shoulders and doesn't feel restrictive. It should be tight but also comfortable. There shouldn't really be any baggy or loose areas.

Probably best to try again or head into base2race they have reasonably priced suits and an infinity pool you can try before you buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Sizing on wetsuits is mad!! You can almost never rely on manufacturers size charts and the only way to truly know is to go somewhere and try one on, and preferably get a few minutes swimming wearing the suit. There are few places that can accommodate this unfortunately but if you're near Dublin you could do worse than to drop into Base2Race in Ballymount and get a fitting done.

Just for reference, at 5'10" (178cms) and 80kgs I am wearing an XL Speedo Tri Comp which is sized for someone 185-192cms and 90-104kgs. Fits me a like a glove and is super comfy - go figure!

Agree with this 100%, you won't know if a wetsuit will fit until you try it on. Sizing means nothing. To compare with the above, I am 6'2" (188cm) and 90kg and my size L Speedo Tri Comp is too big. I am much more comfortable in my size M ZeroD. Get a fitting- great advice!

Hey, thanks for the advice. The guy working in Great Outdoors had a look at the Medium ( he thought that one initially based on height/weight approx) and even with him helping it was very difficult to close on the shoulders and very restrictive. I didn't even attempt to do a swim stroke in it to be honest. He had a look at the length of where the arm was and the leg and felt it was a too short, so said to try on the large. The large was comfortable and wasn't saggy anywhere, but there was a bit of material under the armpit but these seemed to be for movement and if I put it on again I could bring the shoulders up more I reckon. Does that seem ok? It felt supportive but not restrictive but I'm a bit worried for such a big spend.
    Has anyone experience getting fitted in the great outdoors for a triathlon wetsuit? The sales guy recommended the vision wetsuit above the advance and didn't even offer that to me to try on based on info I told him that Im a beginner swimmer. He said for the difference in price I'd be getting a much better suit..

Any further feedback appreciated! Thanks !

The short answer.

The advance would suit your needs so if budgets a concern go with that one. Usually they've better buoyancy for less confident swimmers.

Get the most comfortable fit.

If you want to set your mind at ease and as you say it's a big out lay, get yourself down to base 2 race they are a friendly bunch with plenty of knowledge in triathlon. They aren't salesmen first so no pressure to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Agree with this 100%, you won't know if a wetsuit will fit until you try it on. Sizing means nothing. To compare with the above, I am 6'2" (188cm) and 90kg and my size L Speedo Tri Comp is too big. I am much more comfortable in my size M ZeroD. Get a fitting- great advice!

That's mad altogether! Just goes to show you even within a brand and a specific product the sizing can vary enormously. It may even be down to the individual suit which makes a blind online purchase a very risky venture indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Wetsuit measurements don't account for body shape. A short barrel shaped person may require the same chest size suit that would fit a 6'5 rugby player. Charts don't really take this into account.

Re the Vision Vs Advance. The advance is a more neutrally balanced suit with 3mm chest panel and 4mm legs. The Vision is suited to better swimmers who have grabbed the concept of 'downhill' swimming' by virture of the 5mm legs.

After that you are paying for slightly higher grade materials.

The advice I give beginners is get a beginners suit, small budget, you are less likely to get upset with an odd nick or tear as you get used to handling them and when you go to upgrade in 3 / 4 years you can jump to a mid / high level suit and retain your entry level suit as a training suit.

Get someone with experience to help you shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

MojoMaker wrote: »
    That's mad altogether! Just goes to show you even within a brand and a specific product the sizing can vary enormously. It may even be down to the individual suit which makes a blind online purchase a very risky venture indeed.

In a standard Orca suit I measure and fit a Size 8. In the top suit just to the flexibility I fit into a 7, that's two sizes down. It's not a pretty sight but it shows the difference the flexibility of 44 cell neoprene makes versus 39 cell and Smoothskin.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Bonidel

I'm no expert and all the info provided by the previous posters should be highly valued but I'm a keen open water swimmer and swim a few K a week but like to swim without a wetsuit. I do about 2 triathlons a year and need a wet suit for these.

I just purchased this for roughly £100, the majority of the posters have posted favourable reviews, Note - this is an entry level suit and the price reflects this.
    Go to the wiggle site and search for orca-trn-thermo-full-sleeve-wetsuit-ss14 - (sorry can't post the link as I'm a new user)

I haven't tried it yet, just waiting for delivery. Also if you change the site settings to UK\Pounds then the price comes in at £99, then just use a delivery service like parcel motel (that provides a UK delivery address but just forwards the item to an Irish address), the site provides a first purchase off voucher of £5. All in all the entry level suit comes in under £99 including delivery.

Disclaimer - I don't have any association with the website or vender.

Advertisement