Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED floodlight?

Options
  • 27-05-2014 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Hello All,

Can anybody suggest a good quality LED floodlight for home security purposes? Also typically what lumens/ wattage would you suggest for home security purposes?

Thanks,

Leo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

If the purpose of the light is for security reasons then I'd recommend you install a halogen light and not LED.

There's a good thread over in the electrical forum up might find interesting.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Moved to Electrical.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭leo738

Had a look for related threads & they seem to be recommending LED lights. Do you know which link your referring to?

Leo

leo738 wrote: »
    Had a look for related threads & they seem to be recommending LED lights. Do you know which link your referring to?

Leo

This one here HERE

Some prefer the LED floods but I personally am yet to see a LED light replicate the quality of light from a halogen.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭leo738

Fred,

Thanks for the quick reply. I can understand what you mean about the quality of the light but for me a significant factor is access to the light. I'll have to get hold of a ladder, get it to the house etc...

The long lifespan of LED's is a real attraction.

Regards,

Leo

• Advertisement

leo738 wrote: »
    Fred,

Thanks for the quick reply. I can understand what you mean about the quality of the light but for me a significant factor is access to the light. I'll have to get hold of a ladder, get it to the house etc...

The long lifespan of LED's is a real attraction.

Regards,

Leo

Bear in mind that if it's handy for you to access then it's handy for a burglar to access too and bulb longevity of standard LED bulbs doesn't necessarily transfer to the floods are per Stoners post on the above linked thread.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I like the fact that as the running costs are so much less the LED lights can be left on for far longer.
    Interms of light quality, this is no longer an issue when quality brads are used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

2011 wrote: »
    I like the fact that as the running costs are so much less the LED lights can be left on for far longer.
    Interms of light quality, this is no longer an issue when quality brads are used.

What brands of LED do you suggest as replacements for halogens?

Advertisement