Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marinate then wipe off?

Options
  • 27-05-2014 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Following a recipe for the weekend, and it says to marinate (small pieces of chicken) in the sauce overnight, then when ready to cook, wipe it off.

I understand the meat will have soaked in some of the marinade, but wiping it off seems a little weird to me. Why not leave it on, and get the benefit of it while cooking? Maybe a particular ingredient should not be cooked, but also doesn't soak in to the meat? Yoghurt? Lemon juice?

If this is absolutely necessary, how exactly does one wipe sauce off small chunks of chicken? Do I really need to pick up piece, wipe it thoroughly with a clean kitchen paper, pick up the next piece, another piece of kitchen paper, etc? I'm not sure I have that much time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What is the marinade made of?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,436 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Post the recipe
    corblimey wrote: »
    Following a recipe for the weekend, and it says to marinate (small pieces of chicken) in the sauce overnight, then when ready to cook, wipe it off.

I understand the meat will have soaked in some of the marinade, but wiping it off seems a little weird to me. Why not leave it on, and get the benefit of it while cooking? Maybe a particular ingredient should not be cooked, but also doesn't soak in to the meat? Yoghurt? Lemon juice?

If this is absolutely necessary, how exactly does one wipe sauce off small chunks of chicken? Do I really need to pick up piece, wipe it thoroughly with a clean kitchen paper, pick up the next piece, another piece of kitchen paper, etc? I'm not sure I have that much time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

It's a Tandoori recipe.
    3 large chicken breasts 
    125ml plain yogurt
    1 Tbsp lemon juice
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1 inch fresh ginger grated
    ½ tsp salt 
    ½ tsp coriander 
    ½ tsp cumin 
    ½ tsp turmeric 
    ½ tsp cayenne pepper 
    ½ Tbsp garam masala 
    1½ Tbsp paprika

Everything (except the chicken) is the marinade.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Probably just means wipe off excess marinade so its only a light coating of it.

Ah, OK. I wouldn't wipe it off as such, but just shake off any excess marinade before cooking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I wouldn't bother personally, thats a bit fussy.

I would make sure you don't have too much ginger stuck around the side of the chicken, however i think once you lift it up out of the marinade it'll be ideally coated. Understand that little clumps of ginger might affect the flavour so watch out for the that, if you have it grated properly even that shouldn't be an issue. but wipe off? For me no.

Ok, still a bit time consuming if I have to it per piece. What about pouring the whole mess into a sieve and letting it drain for a little while?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Ok, still a bit time consuming if I have to it per piece. What about pouring the whole mess into a sieve and letting it drain for a little while?

Honestly, don't sweat it. Just lift the chicken up chunk by chunk and let any excess drip off, nothing more than that. You don't want it dry or to have all that good stuff removed at all, you just don't want it absolutely smothered and dripping in marinade either. Lift up with tongs, quick shake then cook.

No big deal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Youll still keep chunks of ginger etc attached to it so will probably end up taking more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

how do you cook the chicken?

I do a similar recipe except I cover the chicken in the dry ingredients you listed and leave in fridge over night. I then separately mix the yogurt, garlic, ginger, lemon (and a little oil) and leave that in the fridge overnight too. When ready to cook I dredge the chicken through the yogurt mixture and then cook under the grill and very close to heat for about 15 mins turning once.

It is very messy but really good. Cut the chicken up and mix into a nice masala sauce.

I think they are just telling you to wipe it off as it is quite messy.

• Advertisement

BailMeOut wrote: »
    how do you cook the chicken?

I do a similar recipe except I cover the chicken in the dry ingredients you listed and leave in fridge over night. I then separately mix the yogurt, garlic, ginger, lemon (and a little oil) and leave that in the fridge overnight too. When ready to cook I dredge the chicken through the yogurt mixture and then cook under the grill and very close to heat for about 15 mins turning once.

Oven for 15 mins spaced out on a baking tray.

Tks for all the responses, I like this approach best
    Lift up with tongs, quick shake then cook.
    Just make the pieces bite sized, and this mightn't be the hassle I was originally envisaging.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I actually made this yesterday. Only had it marinating for 2 hours, bit pushed for time. Nice idea. Would have like a bit of a sauce for dipping, maybe a sour cream and chopped mint mix.

Since last weekend was too hot to cook indoors :pac:, this has been delayed to this weekend when it's bound to be raining!

So quick question, never buy yoghurt, is 'plain yoghurt' a thing? It's different from Greek yoghurt and the likes of Ski and Yoplait, right? Will Tesco just have a shelf containing plain (something like this)? Is there a particular type of yoghurt that just won't work in a marinade? I'm a complete yoghurt novice, and don't know what to look for at all.

BTW, is it yog-urt or yo!-gurt? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

Since last weekend was too hot to cook indoors :pac:, this has been delayed to this weekend when it's bound to be raining!

So quick question, never buy yoghurt, is 'plain yoghurt' a thing? It's different from Greek yoghurt and the likes of Ski and Yoplait, right? Will Tesco just have a shelf containing plain (something like this)? Is there a particular type of yoghurt that just won't work in a marinade? I'm a complete yoghurt novice, and don't know what to look for at all.

BTW, is it yog-urt or yo!-gurt? :)

That's the one. Aldi and Lidl do their own versions. Don't use strawberry :D

Greek yoghurt is definitely a different thing. More protein, as I understand it, but that is the sum total of my yoghurt knowledge. However, tenner says it'll make little or no difference in a marinade. In such circumstances, buy the cheapest one on the shelf, I say :D

Most shops will have the Irish brands Glenisk and/or Glenilen in "natural" (plain) yoghurt and both are really good.

3 large chicken breasts 
    125ml plain yogurt
    1 Tbsp lemon juice
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1 inch fresh ginger grated
    ½ tsp salt 
    ½ tsp coriander 
    ½ tsp cumin 
    ½ tsp turmeric 
    ½ tsp cayenne pepper 
    ½ Tbsp garam masala 
    1½ Tbsp paprika

So I made this at the weekend (although I had to fry it rather than bake it due to oven issues) and while it was pretty tasty I was expecting a bit more heat. Could the spice experts take a look at the recipe above and determine what spice I could increase, or what I could add to this dish to give it a bit more kick. I'm thinking more cumin, paprika or cayenne pepper, but I also don't want to blow my mouth off. Any tips?

So I made this at the weekend (although I had to fry it rather than bake it due to oven issues) and while it was pretty tasty I was expecting a bit more heat. Could the spice experts take a look at the recipe above and determine what spice I could increase, or what I could add to this dish to give it a bit more kick. I'm thinking more cumin, paprika or cayenne pepper, but I also don't want to blow my mouth off. Any tips?

more heat - more cayenne pepper!

How old are your spices?

A tsp or two of hot chilli powder wouldn't go amiss.

Advertisement