Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiring a trolley for house move

Options
  • 27-05-2014 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I'm looking to hire a trolley for moving house. I have in mind a tall, four wheeled trolley with shelving ('d post an image but boards won't let me). Does anyone know of anywhere that can rent these out in the Dublin area?

Thanks,
    Phil

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

like... a Shopping trolley?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Why would you need such a thing?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I can't see how what you describe would be of any use moving. Unless you were just firing stuff into to sort later. You'd need to wrap it. Is it something like shelf stackers have in shops?

You're not taking about a truck? With shelves? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭phildin

No not a shopping trolley, I could probably rustle one of them up fairly quickly:) I'm thinking of a four wheeled, flat bed trolley with a cage around it, they're typically about the height of a person and the base might be about 70cm x 70cm. I've seen them being used in supermarkets by staff unloading the delivery trucks.

Since there's a cage, you can pile a load of irregularly shaped items onto the trolley without them falling off, ideal for a home move with loads of stuff, none of which is all that heavy.

I live in an appartment block which I may be moving out of. Access to the carpark is a bit convoluted and having this kind of trolley would greatly reduce the number of trips required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Is there an HSS near you? They might have one.

• Advertisement

Good suggestion on HSS but no, they don't have any.

• Administrators Posts: 53,798 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think the OP means one of these:

301519964_893.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

You'll spend less time and effort if you just get on with carrying the stuff out than you will with researching and obtaining this trolley thing! :)

Thanks for posting awec. That's quite close to what I was thinking. You raise some valid points about size, it would need to be less than 190cm tall and 80cm wide.

As regards weight, I can imagine that filling it with books and rolling it over a wooden floor would make for an unhappy landlord. I'm thinking more of bagged up clothing, bedclothes and other irregular, unboxed stuff. I helped someone move into the student residences in UCD years ago and they had one for the students to use, it made the whole process almost a pleasure and I made a mental note to try find one when I'm moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Ask in a local supermarket if you could borrow one.

• Advertisement

I might do that foggy_lad. I was also thinking to see what they have in U Store It. Technically the trolleys are not supposed to leave the facility but it can't hurt to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

phildin wrote: »
    Technically the trolleys are not supposed to leave the facility but it can't hurt to ask.
    They'll probably have the automatic locking mechanism to prevent the trollies being brought on "walkies" in this case.

Anyhoos, I Googled trolley rental dublin, and came up with these;

http://www.hirehere.ie/box-trolley-truck but maybe it isn't as high as you'd like?

http://www.hirehere.ie/lifting-and-handling-1/Trucks-and-Trolleys/platform-truck and http://www.hirehere.ie/lifting-and-handling-1/Trucks-and-Trolleys/turntable-trolley have no sides, but maybe if you had a box? Or if not, perhaps they may have something handy not listed on their website.

They're based in 159 South Circular Road (D8) and also Deansgrange Road (Blackrock).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, in case it helps, it's called a roll-cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

OP, in case it helps, it's called a roll-cage.
    Roll cage rental, just outside of Dublin on the way to Naas, on the N7.
    http://www.capcon.ie/rental/

@Mrs OBumble, thanks, that's exactly it. @the_syco, fantastic, I'll give them a call. Thanks for all your help.

Advertisement