Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acceptable or not?

Options
  • 27-05-2014 3:16pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭

Has happened a few times now and is starting to get a bit annoying

phone landlord/arrange time to view property to rent of his/her choosing

go along to view and then after arriving and viewing property landlord says someone else has already agreed to take it but if they pull out then we'll be considerd wtf??

Thanks for wasting my time, how about showing the common courtesy of letting me know in advance that the property has been taken and if I'd like to still view it on the off chance it becomes available then off I go

then again this kind of thing is forgivable compared with some of the stuff we have experienced in the last few weeks - arranging a viewing, showing up and then being told "actually we are just renting rooms now and only for females - do you know anyone who might be interested"

or going to a "viewing" and the landlord inviting people in one group at a time and leaving others queueing outside like cattle in the rain while she basically interviews people one at a time and takes them around the place asking all kinds of personal questions before inviting the next one in

I hope things improve and we've just been hit by a streak of bad luck but quite honestly the either I have just been unlucky or the behaviour of landlords is becoming more and more deplorable as demand for properties increases

oh and I haven't even mentioned the majority of cases where they don't even get back to you after promising they would

Is all this the norm? I suppose being the ones renting out the property they can behave in whatever way they see fit - is that what it boils down to? I can't buy for another year or two so I'll just have to put up with it for now but it really makes me lose a bit of faith in the human race seeing how these people behave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Maybe this is a way of telling you that you are not someone the Landlord wants in their property?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sorry, but this is normal when it's a LL's market, as it is at the moment. Always has been.

But ditto when it's a tenant's market, LL's tell of arranging viewings with multiple prospective tenants who never show, etc.

Supply and demand, n'all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Maybe this is a way of telling you that you are not someone the Landlord wants in their property?

I should really shower more - it'll solve all my problems

Sorry, but this is normal when it's a LL's market, as it is at the moment. Always has been.

But ditto when it's a tenant's market, LL's tell of arranging viewings with multiple prospective tenants who never show, etc.

Supply and demand, n'all.

I get what you are saying but at the same time there's something called common courtesy that should be respected regardless of where the balance of power lies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

donfers wrote: »
    I hope things improve and we've just been hit by a streak of bad luck but quite honestly the either I have just been unlucky or the behaviour of landlords is becoming more and more deplorable as demand for properties increases
    Not a streak of bad luck OP, you will have to deal with Irelands amateur landlord class while looking for a place and it is not fun. To say the least. Things will be even worse now because those of us who do have decent professional landlords will be hesitant to leave our current rentals lest we end up in your shoes.

• Advertisement

drumswan wrote: »
    Not a streak of bad luck OP, you will have to deal with Irelands amateur landlord class while looking for a place and it is not fun. To say the least. Things will be even worse now because those of us who do have decent professional landlords will be hesitant to leave our current rentals lest we end up in your shoes.

fair point - to be honest I expected it to be bad but not this bad, and you're right, if you find any half-decent landlord with any bit of integrity then stick with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

go along to view and then after arriving and viewing property landlord says someone else has already agreed to take it but if they pull out then we'll be considerd wtf??

Thanks for wasting my time, how about showing the common courtesy of letting me know in advance that the property has been taken and if I'd like to still view it on the off chance it becomes available then off I go

then again this kind of thing is forgivable compared with some of the stuff we have experienced in the last few weeks - arranging a viewing, showing up and then being told "actually we are just renting rooms now and only for females - do you know anyone who might be interested"

or going to a "viewing" and the landlord inviting people in one group at a time and leaving others queueing outside like cattle in the rain while she basically interviews people one at a time and takes them around the place asking all kinds of personal questions before inviting the next one in

oh and I haven't even mentioned the majority of cases where they don't even get back to you after promising they would

Is all this the norm? I suppose being the ones renting out the property they can behave in whatever way they see fit - is that what it boils down to? I can't buy for another year or two so I'll just have to put up with it for now but it really makes me lose a bit of faith in the human race seeing how these people behave

Sounds like it the lats 80s/early 90s all over again except back then there was the excuse that few people had a work number not to mind a mobile or email!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Regardless of the market...it's bad manners. Just as it's bad manners when tenants do it when the market is the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

there's something called common courtesy that should be respected regardless of where the balance of power lies

Agreed.

But it's a bit like common sense, ie not very common at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Andy_Dublin

Sound to me like they're telling you that in case you want to offer over what they are asking for rent. It does happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

murphaph wrote: »
    Regardless of the market...it's bad manners. Just as it's bad manners when tenants do it when the market is the other way.
    But like most things you should accept the world around you rather than "shoulding" it. The only thing I would say is that it is more time consuming ringing a load of people than it is to ring one person to tell them you aren't coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    But like most things you should accept the world around you rather than "shoulding" it. The only thing I would say is that it is more time consuming ringing a load of people than it is to ring one person to tell them you aren't coming.
    When I was looking to purchase some property in Berlin I experienced the same from estate agents believe it or not. On 2 occasions I had arranged viewings and they simply never turned up. Pure ignorance. It's gotten even worse here now (that was back in '07) as property prices have exploded here and agents have to do even less now than then!

Advertisement