Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Anyone out there finish Mario Odyssey's Darker Side of the Moon? If so, at what point do my hands stop shaking?

That porcupine/domino laser section is the work of an evil genius. I actually couldn't take the tension of the trying to avoid setting of the domino laser so I just jumped around for my life. Pretty sure it's a textbook case of how not to do it. It's a bit bittersweet to be finally finishing off the post-game, mind.

Yeah, it's a torture/endurance event of a level! But the feeling when you get to the end makes it all worth while! (assuming you haven't smashed your switch into a million little pieces at that stage...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

After the Bowser bit I was so daintily walking along cause I was expecting the game to have that one last "**** you" in it. The level just felt like it wouldn't stop. I think there used to be an exploit that allowed you skip the Porcupine, Woodpecker and Donkey Kong bit but it looks to have been patched out from what I can see. Would've been sorely tempted to just glide by those bits at the worst of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Anyone out there finish Mario Odyssey's Darker Side of the Moon? If so, at what point do my hands stop shaking?

That porcupine/domino laser section is the work of an evil genius. I actually couldn't take the tension of the trying to avoid setting of the domino laser so I just jumped around for my life. Pretty sure it's a textbook case of how not to do it. It's a bit bittersweet to be finally finishing off the post-game, mind.
    Yeah loved it. Takes ages to learn all the stages but as mentioned the feeling upon completion makes it so worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Gonna take a break from Spiritfarer for a day or two. Its wonderful, really wonderful but storywise
    I've just said goodbye to Giovanni, Astrid and Stanley in quick succession and I dont know if I can take more sadness.

Not sure I quite understand what happened with
    Atul.

I guess that Stella
    wasn't there when he died in real life?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

fixXxer wrote: »
    Not sure I quite understand what happened with
    Atul.

I guess that Stella
    wasn't there when he died in real life?

Spot on. Apparently he just disappeared one day without explanation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Riding the wave of smugness from finally beating Darker Side of the Moon, I thought sure I'll pop on the Wii U and finally dust off 3D World's Champion Road. Hit a wall with it ages ago and just never got back to it. Figured it'd be a piece of piss compared to Darker Side but was quickly disabused of that notion. Nailing the timing of some jumps while managing the anxiety of no checkpoints is next level fun times.

I also forgot how distracting the gamepad can be; can see why DK:TF decided it was either one or the other rather than dual screen output that's always popping away in the corner of your eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Picked up Flashback from SA store for €0.46 (or €0.65 without gold points) and it's actually exactly as I remember it.

Controls are a bit clunky initially, but you soon realise you only need to use the A / X and ZR buttons (the other buttons are really just alternates but not required)... great fun.

I got it cheap too. I don't think it has aged well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Picked up Flashback and Another World. Two of my favourite Amiga games. Big steps in gaming at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

I picked up Hades, FF VII, South Park the stick of truth and Rocket league (free I know) last night. Need a bloody memory card though so thats on the way.

I was gonna buy ORI too but I said Id wait for a physical release or a sale cause I've too much to play there and Im still playing Bloodstained.

Are the other 8bit style Bloodstained games any use? Curse of the moon... Are they more like old school Castlevania and the Ritual of the night is like Symphony of the night metroidvania?

• Advertisement

They are like more traditional Castlevania games. Get from one side of the level to the other, beat a boss, then do the next level.
    There is replayability though - you unlock new characters that give you access to new paths.

If you're looking for more pixelated Metroidvanias, try Timespinner and Chasm.
    Try Kunai for something a bit different.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I played through the starting round of Waverace 64 last night, the NTSC rumble version, with my new Brawler pad on the N64, and it was amazing!
    Still an outstanding game, and I'm looking forward to getting back to it over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

A short hike is a great little gem on Switch. Some of the post game stuff is fun too, short but well worth it!

Spiritfarer sounds like GOTY matieral, even Zero Punctuation liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Completed Flashback there this morning... about bloody time, I think I got 75% of the way through it 25 years ago, before Prince of Persia 2: The Shadow and the Flame landed in my lap and took over my time!

Enjoyed it even with the clunky controls!

Just finished Spiritfarer. My favourite game this year (Hades is a close second).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Just finished Ori will of the wisps there. That was good.

Then fired up Mario galaxy, realised I hadn't played it before, got annoyed with the controls on the pro controller, now staring at the other unfinished/unstated games at s loss where to go now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Picked up Rocket League over the weekend since it's free and thoroughly enjoying it. Trying to prolong finishing Spiritfarer - will miss it when I finish.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Been playing a demo of ‘The Survivalists’ & really enjoying it, is there anything similar in the single player sandbox-y type game that I should take a look at?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Grassey wrote: »
    Just finished Ori will of the wisps there. That was good.

Then fired up Mario galaxy, realised I hadn't played it before, got annoyed with the controls on the pro controller, now staring at the other unfinished/unstated games at s loss where to go now!

It's perfect with detached joycons. It was designed with the Wiimote and Nunchuk so it translates well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I just had a ball playing A Short Hike over the last couple of days.
    A charming little toy box of a game, with lots of little distractions, secrets and a lovely art style and some nice music to accompany you on your journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,930 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Mr E wrote: »
    Just finished Spiritfarer. My favourite game this year (Hades is a close second).

Absolutely amazing game isn't it? I was slow to start with it but it recently just clicked and I haven't been able to put it down in the evenings.

TherapyBoy wrote: »
    Been playing a demo of ‘The Survivalists’ & really enjoying it, is there anything similar in the single player sandbox-y type game that I should take a look at?

The Long Dark

https://thelongdark.fandom.com/wiki/Survival_mode

there is a story-mode also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Playing Spiritfarer based on the recommendations here. Enjoying it so far. I'm a couple hours in and im getting quests to build various structures on the ship but I've ran out of space to build. Are you supposed to dismantle buildings to make room for more or is there a way to make more space. I had to salvage my garden last night to make a sawmill and Im guessing I'll need a garden

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

skerry wrote: »
    Playing Spiritfarer based on the recommendations here. Enjoying it so far. I'm a couple hours in and im getting quests to build various structures on the ship but I've ran out of space to build. Are you supposed to dismantle buildings to make room for more or is there a way to make more space. I had to salvage my garden last night to make a sawmill and Im guessing I'll need a garden

You can upgrade your ship to make it bigger at the shipyard

Talk to Albert - he's in the shipyard in the middle of the starting area (a shark face icon I think?)
    He can upgrade your ship, your size and your blueprint table.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Cheers doods - had talked to him for blueprints but wasn't clear on how I could make ship bigger. Will check him out this evening. Lovely game so far.

skerry wrote: »

Go to the
    shark fella who has the shipyard and he can extend your space. He can also give you upgrades like a faster boat, etc.

More progress made.
    Only Gustav, Buck and Elena left on the ship.
    Strange though, the game is telling me
    I can bring Stella to the Spirit Door. Hoping I can finish the others stories first before things end.

Alwa's Legacy is a brilliant metroidvania that just came out. Huge map with lots of secrets, 5 big dungeons and a NG+ and clever pacifist mode to play after you beat the 8-10 hour main campaign. It's a good challenge, I've died about 50 times and I'm 3 dungeons in.

I'm downloading Alwa's Awakening (first game in Alwa series, currently on sale) soon - it's a fiver for the next few days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kingbowser

As someone who bought an Xbox One X to play Ori and the Will of the Wisps ( and a couple others ) as it was not ever coming to switch ...

It's now on switch and it's an astonishing achievement. Check out the digital foundry video for this conversion to see the huge amount of effort to port this And it's still running 60FPS.

I wondered how they managed this with a 3rd party generic engine but they actually created their own fork of unity. Technical and artistic genius.

Brilliant, brilliant game. Great studio.

Advertisement