Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

kingbowser wrote: »
    As someone who bought an Xbox One X to play Ori and the Will of the Wisps ( and a couple others ) as it was not ever coming to switch ...

It's now on switch and it's an astonishing achievement. Check out the digital foundry video for this conversion to see the huge amount of effort this took to port this And it's still running 60FPS.

Brilliant, brilliant game.

I was just messing about with the free demo of ori & the blind forest. Which one came first? What makes it such a great game? I’m tempted to give it a try - is it super hard? I’m not a great gamer so I don’t like games that are too difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 kingbowser

The demo for blind forest is poor. I took the plunge and bought that game when it was on sale based on all the praise. It's more of a platform game than a metroid vania in that the map is pretty easy to navigate and you won't get lost. Most of the game is straightforward once you master the main abilities. Get triple jump as soon as you can. Watch some videos if you get confused. There are no bosses to beat BUT there are long and relatively hard escape sequences. You get them eventually and they are immensely rewarding. I loved the game play , art and music.

The second game is much better and deeper with incredible boss fights and shorter easier escape sequences.

I hope they do a trilogy, they are hinting at it.

Maybe wait for a sale or try on game pass if you've a suitable pc or Xbox. They are harder than eg a Mario platformer but easier than eg a Donkey Kong platformer or eg Hollow Knight.

Edit
    Also you respawn very quickly and lose very little progress, easy to save progress, so it's never frustrating in that respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

The demo for blind forest is poor. I took the plunge and bought that game when it was on sale based on all the praise. It's more of a platform game than a metroid vania in that the map is pretty easy to navigate and you won't get lost. Most of the game is straightforward once you master the main abilities. Get triple jump as soon as you can. Watch some videos if you get confused. There are no bosses to beat BUT there are long and relatively hard escape sequences. You get them eventually and they are immensely rewarding. I loved the game play , art and music.

The second game is much better and deeper with incredible boss fights and shorter easier escape sequences.

I hope they do a trilogy, they are hinting at it.

Maybe wait for a sale or try on game pass if you've a suitable pc or Xbox. They are harder than eg a Mario platformer but easier than eg a Donkey Kong platformer or eg Hollow Knight.

Edit
    Also you respawn very quickly and lose very little progress, easy to save progress, so it's never frustrating in that respect.

Thanks a mill for that. I’m playing it on the switch. Sounds like the 2nd one is more my thing. I get so frustrated with platformer games trying over & over.

Thanks a mill for that. I’m playing it on the switch. Sounds like the 2nd one is more my thing. I get so frustrated with platformer games trying over & over.

2nd game is the better game by a long shot.

It's like Rayman legends if you've played that w.r.t instant respawn, infinite lives and similar art style and escape sequences. So, it respects your time.

But Ori has a lot of abilities he gains over time, and that can be chained, so it ends up you are airborne a lot and even plays like a pinball/matrix hybrid :) at times. The wonderful story will pull at the heart strings too. The music is incredible too. Check out the sequence when the baby owl learns to fly :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hades.

That's it.

That's the post.

My GOTY so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Not modern, but it is Nintendo, I was playing Hyper Sports and Hyper Olympics on the Famicom Twin just now, using the official Hypershot controllers and it was a blast.
    Just arrived from Japan yesterday and they are perfect.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Not modern, but it is Nintendo, I was playing Hyper Sports and Hyper Olympics on the Famicom Twin just now, using the official Hypershot controllers and it was a blast.
    Just arrived from Japan yesterday and they are perfect.

It sounds brilliant but I need to Google all those just to fully understand. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Oh, it's as retro as it comes, and it was released in 1983/84!
    It informed an entire genre of sporting videogames, which persists even to this day.
    Plenty of fun to be had and the special controllers are perfect for two players.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Oh, it's as retro as it comes, and it was released in 1983/84!
    It informed an entire genre of sporting videogames, which persists even to this day.
    Plenty of fun to be had and the special controllers are perfect for two players.

I'm thinking Daley Thompson's Decathlon Joystick Destroyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭nedd

I just finished Ori 2. Fantastic. Controls and gameplay are brilliant.

I have just gone back to Paper Mario now. Played a couple of hours and it is fun. Very charming and loads to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

I'm thinking Daley Thompson's Decathlon Joystick Destroyer.

Daley Thompson, the b*stard, killed about three Konix Speedkings on me

I was, for a short period of time, cool as a teenager when I was repairing Quickshot II joysticks for school mates.
    I stress, a very short period of time...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

tenor.gif

I had one of those for the Amiga I think.

The Zipstick was best by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,797 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

glasso wrote: »
    The Zipstick was best by far.

Mines in the attic but it still works perfectly. Dusted off the Amiga a couple of years ago. Its the reason Sensible Soccer was always better on the Amiga than the Snes

The Nal wrote: »
    Mines in the attic but it still works perfectly. Dusted off the Amiga a couple of years ago. Its the reason Sensible Soccer was always better on the Amiga than the Snes

Really reliable and durable both stick and buttons unlike most other joy-sticks from that time.

And really comfortable to use.

Those joysticks with their rubber suckers ... mad ! Then Nintendo came along with game pads, which I never thought could work until I tried them. Now, if only they could sort out those joycons.

Playing "Immortal Redneck" - not a new game for the switch but a very good (imo) fps roguelike that is very fun. the gyro aiming also works really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Just finished Spiritfarer this morning. Didn't expect to be close to tears on the bus to work but there you go.

The part at the end
    where everyone who Stella brought across was there to see her across was beautiful. I was so happy to see Stanley and Atul again!

I felt it was a little long in the middle but that could just be the aimless way I played it. The characters really held everything together though. A wonderful moving, thoughtful experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just getting through Donkey Kong. On World 5, and the frustration is ramping up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

fixXxer wrote: »
    Just finished Spiritfarer this morning. Didn't expect to be close to tears on the bus to work but there you go.

The part at the end
    where everyone who Stella brought across was there to see her across was beautiful. I was so happy to see Stanley and Atul again!

Aw yeah.
    I hugged every one of them.
    :)

The ending song was fantastic too, especially when the
    main melody kicks in

• Registered Users Posts: 34,930 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Mr E wrote: »
    Aw yeah.
    I hugged every one of them.
    :)

The ending song was fantastic too, especially when the
    main melody kicks in

Just finished it there myself, I honestly don't think any form of media has ever hit me in the feels the way this game did. Absolutely superb writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

My games room is now my Mario Kart Live room. Gonna move the couch to the side tomorrow to give myself more scope for track layout.

My games room is now my Mario Kart Live room. Gonna move the couch to the side tomorrow to give myself more scope for track layout.

I wonder how it would cope with bridges...
    Come on Nintendo, a Mario Kart Live/ Super Mario Maker cross-over is needed now!

I've seen some videos where people have got bridges to work if the incline is gradual enough. Don't think it likes it if it's a sudden ramp up.
    The car works brilliantly going from wood to fairly flat carpet. Because of the bumpiness of the carpet it gives the camera a kinda offroad feel. I don't see this being a "play for an hour and then never again" experience like i feared. Love it.

Been looking at it but dont think I have the floor space to justify the price of it. Do you basically set it up, run the RC cars around, and the track is imported in to Mario Kart?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nothing to do with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Watch the trailer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

It actually looks way more enjoyable than I'd thought from that trailer... Thankfully it's not pay day yet

Mr E wrote: »
    Nothing to do with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Watch the trailer. :)

Aaaaaah I see I see. Makes the lack of space even sadder :(

• Advertisement

fixXxer wrote: »
    Been looking at it but dont think I have the floor space to justify the price of it. Do you basically set it up, run the RC cars around, and the track is imported in to Mario Kart?

You can make decent tracks in a small space if you have a few crossroads in the track. My games room isn't massive and initially I just had a loop track. But once I moved the couch a little I was able to create tracks that crossed over each other and a lap lasted about 30 seconds.
    To create a track, you set the gates where you want them and drive through them in the correct order. How you get from gate 1 to 2 and so on is up to you. Zig zag, turns etc. The game will remember where you drove.

Advertisement