Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Made the mistake of playing Control last night after watching a scary movie. My heart rate was through the roof. Very tense game but interesting storyline so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Unfortunately I already have Control for the PS4.
    And, seeing as this iteration of Control needs to be connected to wifi to play, it's attraction as a portable on-the-go game is kind of undermined.
    I tried it out and, yes, it's impressive, amounting to what Stadia are themselves doing.
    Far better, perhaps, if Google just produce an app for the Switch eshop and let the likes of me use my existing Stadia library on the Switch.

Ya I get that. Considering most of my "on the go" gaming is either on my couch, at work or family home all of which have good Internet then I'm thankfully not really affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Played the Control demo and felt pretty janky on my crappy broadband. Controls felt weird dont know if it was lag or what, kept turning into walls. Didn't expect solid performance on 20mbps though. Have it on Xbox and have started playing on that instead. Good so far, very weird.

Picked up Hades on Switch last night. Only had 2 quick runs but looking forward to giving it a proper lash today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mentioned this in the general gaming forum, but playing Paradise Killer - a bizarro open world indie detective game - and very much enjoying it. Highly recommended for anyone who likes their games loaded with heavy dashes of eccentricity, clever writing, and open-ended exploration. 20% off for a few more hours I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

So I’m kinda new to the gaming buzz and for a switch lite just after lockdown. I played breath of the wild abs although it is absolutely gorgeous it is so flipping hard! Then went onto Pokemon shield and competes that which I enjoyed. Then downloaded animal crossing and don’t get why people like it so much... meh! Then went onto 2 point hospital or whatever It’s called and wasn’t a fan of other. So now currently playing let’s go pikachu!

Not sure what to play next. I like dark horror games and RPGs. I was going to get FFX but not sure! Any recendations? There has to be more to the switch than Zelda!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

never_mind wrote: »
    So I’m kinda new to the gaming buzz and for a switch lite just after lockdown. I played breath of the wild abs although it is absolutely gorgeous it is so flipping hard! Then went onto Pokemon shield and competes that which I enjoyed. Then downloaded animal crossing and don’t get why people like it so much... meh! Then went onto 2 point hospital or whatever It’s called and wasn’t a fan of other. So now currently playing let’s go pikachu!

Not sure what to play next. I like dark horror games and RPGs. I was going to get FFX but not sure! Any recendations? There has to be more to the switch than Zelda!

BOTW is whatever you want it to be. Maybe you just aren't strong enough for the area you are in?

But yeah stunning game.

Get Mario Oddessy, it's a really nice game, to be honest there are tonnes out there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've been playing some Golf Peaks (on PC - shhh!) and What The Golf? (on Switch) recently, which has somehow resulted in developing a hankering to revisit Kirby's Dream Course. So I guess I'll be doing that sometime this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

BOTW is whatever you want it to be. Maybe you just aren't strong enough for the area you are in?

But yeah stunning game.

Get Mario Oddessy, it's a really nice game, to be honest there are tonnes out there.

Oh I’ll give it a go! Sorry, slightly hungover so the post was misspelled to the extreme!

Played Crash Team Racing with the other half last night for the first time in ages. It really is a great kart game, in some ways better than MK8. Love the drift system and the fact that there's a single player story mode.
    Only disappointing thing about the game is that the load times were never patched. Can be over 30 seconds between races. Feels like an age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

It really is a great kart game, in some ways better than MK8.

Eh?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Eh?

The drifting alone is a much better system than mario kart. Requires skill to pull off correctly. There isn't anywhere near as much rubber- banding in the game either. The better driver will generally win, in MK8 i could be struggling in last but get a cheap bullet bill and end up passing out a lot of better drivers.
    If you're in 1st in the last lap in MK8 chances are you're gonna get hit by a lot of items. This happens much less in CTR.
    Have you played it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Right my xbox has packed in for a while so I'm back to the switch.. Can anyone recommend something along the lines of witcher/zelda/assassins creed that can kill a few hours?

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Right my xbox has packed in for a while so I'm back to the switch.. Can anyone recommend something along the lines of witcher/zelda/assassins creed that can kill a few hours?

Dragon's dogma : Dark Arisen

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

The drifting alone is a much better system than mario kart. Requires skill to pull off correctly. There isn't anywhere near as much rubber- banding in the game either. The better driver will generally win, in MK8 i could be struggling in last but get a cheap bullet bill and end up passing out a lot of better drivers.
    If you're in 1st in the last lap in MK8 chances are you're gonna get hit by a lot of items. This happens much less in CTR.
    Have you played it?

Nope, but you're definitely talking me into it! Is it on the eshop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Cotts72

glasso wrote: »
    Dragon's dogma : Dark Arisen

Sweet will have a look, hopefully it's not as bad as the Netflix show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

It's 30 FPS on all versions. One thing I love about MK8 is 60FPS. Really makes for a nicer experience in a racing game. But if the price is right...

€40 on the eShop. You can probably get it cheaper in CeX. Maybe watch a review or 2 on it and see if it's for you. It's entirely possible you won't know 90% of the characters in the game.
    And as mentioned above it's not 60fps. That kinda thing doesn't bother me but if it's a deal breaker for you then at least you know.

Edit: CeX sell it for €30.

I'm playing Green Hell and The Last Campfire. The former is good but it's meant for PC the controls are awkward. The latter is great, it's the perfect game for the Switch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

God help me but I started playing Black Flag for the first time, despite not really enjoying the franchise in years.
    And, to my surprise, it was a lot of fun.
    Not sure how long I am going to stick with it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    God help me but I started playing Black Flag for the first time, despite not really enjoying the franchise in years.
    And, to my surprise, it was a lot of fun.
    Not sure how long I am going to stick with it though.

Soon you'll be all about just sailing around in your own ship, listening to your crew sing sea shanty's while watching whales break through a sea turned gold by a tropical sunset

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Playing through Guacamelee after getting it in the eShop sale. Very enjoyable game so far. Really like the controls and the different moveset that unlocks as you play through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Tucked back into Mario vs Rabbids last night. Fantastic game, presentation is amazing on it and everything is so polished. Really enjoyable tactical craziness

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

fixXxer wrote: »
    Soon you'll be all about just sailing around in your own ship, listening to your crew sing sea shanty's while watching whales break through a sea turned gold by a tropical sunset

I never finished the game, but I thoroughly enjoyed sailing the entire map and doing all the battles! :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A game called Phoenotopia Awakening came out in August (it's a modern game in the style of Zelda II)
    It came out to mixed reviews (too hard, grinding required, too hard to get money, too hard to get new health, and some other complaints).

I feel like the Switch was the early access version for next month's Steam release.

Anyhoo, they've updated the game with 3 or 4 patches since release (fixing balancing and difficulty) and it's fantastic now.
    It's the game that should have been released 3 months ago - if rereviewed, it would do much much better.
    Finished the first 'dungeon' this morning and it was excellent. Very clever puzzles.

The pixel art is stunning, the music is great (watch the trailer) and the game is 30-50 hours long.
    €19.99 - stick it on your wishlist at least. Brilliant hidden gem that had a botched launch but deserves an audience now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Finally got my replacement joy con and I'm absolutely loving the expansion for pokémon sword. Very wintry and cosy but I'm making myself go handy on it so it'll last me through the darkest days. Winter depresses the hell out of me in the best of years, I'm dreading not being able to go anywhere but video games will get me through (and probably ruin my eyesight).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Star Lord wrote: »
    I never finished the game, but I thoroughly enjoyed sailing the entire map and doing all the battles! :D:pac:

AC Valhalla getting very good reviews.
    I can see it appearing on the next Switch version.
    Or maybe it'll get the Witcher 3 Switch treatment...

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    AC Valhalla getting very good reviews.
    I can see it appearing on the next Switch version.
    Or maybe it'll get the Witcher 3 Switch treatment...

cloud streaming is the only way this would ever appear on switch.

none of the recent ones of the last few years (e.g. Origins or Odyssey) have made it to switch

it's a 2014 mobile chip so have to be realistic

the only ones that have made it are xbox 360 / PS3 era ones

glasso wrote: »
    cloud streaming is the only way this would ever appear on switch.

none of the recent ones of the last few years (e.g. Origins or Odyssey) have made it to switch

it's a 2014 mobile chip so have to be realistic

the only ones that have made it are xbox 360 / PS3 era ones

They released a cloud version of Odyssey in Japan on Switch. So they've got form for this already.

• Advertisement

It will be interesting to see how something like "Control" does in terms of sales on the cloud-streaming side of things.

Less profitable than a release that actually runs on the switch as depends on cloud processing and bandwidth but that's all scalable these days so a variable cost rather than a fixed one.

Advertisement