Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Got Switch from wifey as a Xmas present.. Jesus it's great.. Sorry I held out so long but unfortunately finances are a bitch.. Love the redo of crash bandicoot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,864 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'm still playing Xcom 2. What a great port. Even if you have played it originally I'd recommend it. All the DLC is included, so there is a two new storylines built into the game rather than stand alone. One where you get big mecs on your squad and another with three big bosses that appear randomly in maps. When you kill then you get really cool armour upgrades.

Feels like a totally new Xcom game at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

smurf492 wrote: »
    Got Switch from wifey as a Xmas present.. Jesus it's great.. Sorry I held out so long but unfortunately finances are a bitch.. Love the redo of crash bandicoot

Misread "finances" as "fiances" and thought it was good things changed when you married

• Registered Users Posts: 12,795 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Picked up Horace and Hades on sale. Not sure which to go with first.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I picked up Horace based on the rec earlier in the thread, it's a bit slow going but I'm liking the way that it spins its narrative. My only minor niggle is that I wish there were a way to speed through the dialogue exchanges as I find them quite slow and would prefer a "tap to complete sentence, tap again to move on" system.

I was given Travis Strikes Again: No More Heroes for Christmas, which is fun when it's not getting in its own way. The camera choices are not always great (some of the overhead sections would benefit from allowing zoom-in/zoom-out) and I can see it won't be a particularly deep game, but it's still an enjoyable light dish. I hope and expect NMH3 will be a significant step up at least in terms of gameplay & design if not visually (and tbh I'm not all that arsed about graphics, if the game is fun).

I also picked up Airheart: Tales Of Broken Wings as it was on sale for <£2, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. If nothing else I hope it will be a fun game to dip into for a few minutes here and there, the vertical-world stacking idea reminds me of Flow (an early game from ThatGameCompany of Flower and Journey fame) and it worked quite neatly there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭nextgengamer

Just got Horace and Toki for a few beans.
    It's like buying those budget 1.99 games on tapes years ago :)
    But a lot more convenient.
    Really the Switch is perfect for this kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Horace is surprisingly funny, and has got me right in the feels a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Horace is one of 20 games I picked up on various platforms in the last 2 weeks... goddamn sales :D

It's on my list of to-plays, but I've got about 5 others that I've been longing to play for months so I might give it 10 mins or so just to see what it's like

Also got Luigi's Mansion 3 from Santy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Just got Horace and Toki for a few beans.
    It's like buying those budget 1.99 games on tapes years ago :)
    But a lot more convenient.
    Really the Switch is perfect for this kind of stuff.

True, the Switch has almost completely replaced Steam for me in terms of smaller releases - Adult Swim just need to release Super House of Dead Ninjas on the Switch and I'm good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Think I'm done with the sale now. Pick ups were Labyrinth of Refrain, Banner of the Maid, Horace and Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions. Should keep me occupied for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

mrcheez wrote: »
    Horace - I might give it 10 mins or so just to see what it's like

Give it an hour if you can. Slow start but ramps up after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Never got around to buying banner of the maid pokemon is getting my attention again Shield with the dlc I will always return to Pokemon it's too hard to keep it down.

Mr E wrote: »

It's funny, nostalgic and melancholy. Actually thinking it would make a unique animated movie. Have really just started ...

Never got around to buying banner of the maid pokemon is getting my attention again Shield with the dlc I will always return to Pokemon it's too hard to keep it down.

Hadn't heard of it until I seen it in a SwitchUp YouTube list. Looks very much like older Fire Emblem games and similar presentation to FF Tactics. Pretty accurate depiction of the French Revolution too apparently, even down to the giant ainme fan service boobies:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

It looks basic but really fun I bought Ash of Gods Redemption and Immortal Realms Vampire Wars both were crap

Horace .... Ok, all those flashing collectibles and animated random objects... Jet Set Willy ... right :) And it gets hard but quick respawn helps.

Bit of a coincidence I'm playing this just as UK leaves EU.
    !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Playing Age of Calamity to ring in the new year. Happy New year folks.

Happy new year ...

May it be much better than 2020 and

may there be BOTW2 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Happy new year ...

May it be much better than 2020 and

may there be BOTW2 :)

*And a new F-Zero*

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

manual_man wrote: »
    *And a new F-Zero*

And Metroid Prime 4...

:D

• Advertisement

Gave it an hour and yep it's great! Love the presentation. 15 hours though...dunno if I've got the time to complete it, but defo getting my €1.50 out of it :D

Started into the first Baldur's Gate there. Never played them but figured it might be fun plodding through them in handheld. Heard it can be pretty unforgiving so playing on easy so I can hopefully learn mechanics and enjoy the story. Controls seem pretty intuitive so far, will see how they are once I get into some battles.

Bloody Hell, first proper boss battle in Horace and I'm hosed. Bullet hell snake storm. Time to break out the pro controller and dock that switch to the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Can't remember any of them being bullet hell (up to chapter 8 anyway?). Is it the one in
    the TV stage
    ?

Can't remember any of them being bullet hell (up to chapter 8 anyway?). Is it the one in
    the TV stage
    ?

No, only at Ch 4, there is a boss there that fills the screen with bullets.

I played a bit more Hue after messing with Horace and the two complement each other perfectly in that both are stylish narrative-driven puzzle platformers that easy to pick up and play for quick sessions. Looks stunning too. It might still be on sale?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm enjoying Horace, just got 8/10 in the latest Edge which is quite an accomplishment for a game that cost less than €2!
    The only thing that's a pain is the unskippable cut scenes, which makes no sense in this day and age.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm enjoying Horace, just got 8/10 in the latest Edge which is quite an accomplishment for a game that cost less than €2!
    The only thing that's a pain is the unskippable cut scenes, which makes no sense in this day and age.

you can skip the cutscenes by enabling the option in Options?

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Isn't there an option to skip them on the options screen ? You'd miss a lot by skipping them though, they look wonderful and the story, script and humour is worth it. From my play through I've only had to watch them once. The game saves after them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,795 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

mrcheez wrote: »
    you can skip the cutscenes by enabling the option in Options?

You can but I don't know why anyone would. They're as much the game as the gameplay.

Can't think of anything I've gotten more value from for €1.49!

Advertisement