Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭nextgengamer

The Nal wrote: »
    You can but I don't know why anyone would. They're as much the game as the gameplay.

Can't think of anything I've gotten more value from for €1.49!

Yeah, really nice of the developer to drop it so low for the sale. Hopefully they sold loads of copies. Game development is hard risky work.

I think the last bargain I got from Nintendo was the Metroid prime trilogy when they launched it digitally on Wii U. 10 quid I think. That was desperate times for Nintendo. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Yeah, really nice of the developer to drop it so low for the sale. Hopefully they sold loads of copies. Game development is hard risky work.

I think the last bargain I got from Nintendo was the Metroid prime trilogy when they launched it digitally on Wii U. 10 quid I think. That was desperate times for Nintendo. :)

They balanced that out by trying to charge full price for Other:M when it went up on the Wii U eShop. That game hasn't commanded a price-tag exceeding €5 since, roughly, a bajillion years.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My son was watching me play earlier today and, given our shared gaming life over the past decade, started laughing at the cut scenes, observing that it was more like Metal Gear Solid 4, endless exposition and cut scenes interspersed with nuggets of gameplay.
    Don't get me wrong, I really liked MGS4 but, like Horace, there's an awful lot of cutscenes, things that could have been often told within gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

About 12 hours into Immortals Fenyx Rising - handheld only. It plays perfectly. No performance issues, obviously not as good looking at other consoles, but it’s scratching my open world itch. It’s more like Assassins Creed Odyssey than BotW but that’s still worth the investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    My son was watching me play earlier today and, given our shared gaming life over the past decade, started laughing at the cut scenes, observing that it was more like Metal Gear Solid 4, endless exposition and cut scenes interspersed with nuggets of gameplay.
    Don't get me wrong, I really liked MGS4 but, like Horace, there's an awful lot of cutscenes, things that could have been often told within gameplay.

There's really not that many cut scenes after you get past what's essentially the tutorial level. And those that are there are funny, full of charm and references to other media

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I think I might be done with Horace, actually, in the midst of Chapter 7. I like the storytelling and the visual style, but I'm finding it increasingly tedious rather than fun to play, and the idea of wading through several hours more of it just doesn't appeal. I'll likely just look up a video to see how the rest of the story unfolds.

I've also put a few hours into Amelia: Tales of Broken Wings. It's a fun twin stick shooter with a crafting/upgrade aspect, though the crafting is the weakest aspect (though tbh Subnautica is the only game I've played where crafting was more than just a ballache). The issue with crafting is that you can't collect blueprints, and get "ideas" instead that you have to guess at. And failed guesses cost money, so you may as well save your money and just buy upgrades from the shop. Crafting guff aside, it's a fun enough little shooter and the stacked-level conceit means you can fly up to more challenging levels if you want or stick to lower levels with simpler enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,795 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Fysh wrote: »
    I think I might be done with Horace, actually, in the midst of Chapter 7. I like the storytelling and the visual style, but I'm finding it increasingly tedious rather than fun to play, and the idea of wading through several hours more of it just doesn't appeal.

I played up to Chapter 4 and Ill give it a little break. Its the sort of game thats fun to drop in and out of for an hour or so at a time. Like any platformer really.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Picked up Lumo and Rogue Trooper Redux in the sale, both around the €2 mark and tremendous value.
    Lumo is a flashback to Head Over Heels style isometric games, Rogue Trooper a CoD style shooter based on the 200AD comic which I only ever played briefly on the Wii. Runs much more smoothly here. Real retro feel to the start of 2021 for me so far, which I have zero problems with...

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Streets of rage 4.. Great stuff, nostalgic but fresh.. Just got the switch at xmas and so glad I did

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

smurf492 wrote: »
    Streets of rage 4.. Great stuff, nostalgic but fresh.. Just got the switch at xmas and so glad I did

I got a physical copy of it but haven't yet unwrapped it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    I got a physical copy of it but haven't yet unwrapped it!

It's well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Started playing Hades...how many runs did it take people to get past Meg? Any stats I should be focusing on first?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A few I think. The first time I made any real progress, I was using the bow.

Make sure you have invested in Death Defiance at the mirror (for each one you have, it basically gives you an extra life)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Started playing Hades...how many runs did it take people to get past Met? Any stats I should be focusing on first?

Is that the first boss? Been a while since I played but beat first boss on fourth run I think. One good tip I seen was to not always start a run with the intention of finishing the game. Your as well off at the start to do some farming runs for Obols, and use them for unlocking weapons and upgrades in the mirrors. Once you get boons you can start playing with better builds. I found Ares boons with the Shield quite good. He has one that inflicts doom and every time you fling the shield your doing damage and inflicting status effects so you clear a room quick enough. For farming runs I just focused on the Obol doors but for actual runs then focus on what ever suits the build you are going for. Jawless Paul has a lot of good videos on YouTube that are very useful for getting your head around decent boon and build combos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Playing Bastion every night before I go to bed; really enjoying it. I haven't got a clue what's going on, storywise lol, but the gameplay is solid :)

Got a One4All giftcard over christmas so I got Ring Fit Adventure last week.

Fired it up for the first time today at lunchtime. I was skeptical but it's bloody great and I worked up a good sweat.

As well as the main adventure, it's stuffed with minigames, standalone exercises and even a full rhythm game.

Very slick package overall. I'm impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Mr E wrote: »
    Got a One4All giftcard over christmas so I got Ring Fit Adventure last week.

Fired it up for the first time today at lunchtime. I was skeptical but it's bloody great and I worked up a good sweat.

As well as the main adventure, it's stuffed with minigames, standalone exercises and even a full rhythm game.

Very slick package overall. I'm impressed.

Wouldn't work with my Lite I take it? Screen too small?

Could be a great portable workout if it did

mrcheez wrote: »

Afraid not. You need joy-cons. One goes in the ring, and the other goes in a holder strapped to your leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I got Horace based on the recommendation here, and really enjoying it.

I got Zelda Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart as Christmas presents. Mario Kart has been great to play with my nieces and nephew online when we can't be together.
    I bought Super Mario Odyssey on sale then the other evening.

I have basically played Animal Crossing since I got the Switch earlier in the year, and now I am overcome with choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah even if you had a separate set of joycon, you still need the ring with you

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Afraid not. You need joy-cons. One goes in the ring, and the other goes in a holder strapped to your leg.

but I mean if I buy joy cons... will the screen size be too small when jumping around?

No, I think it would work, mrcheez. I had a look around and found this video:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Finally got Ni No Kuni in the last sale and might be approaching the end of it now, 40 hours in. Lovely game, traditional RPG's, even some of the more grind-y ones like this one, were a big part of my gaming childhood and they're still there.

Journey to the Savage Planet next I think, got a physical copy for cheap before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Still tempted by Journey its still €20 in argos

Still tempted by Journey its still €20 in argos

Was that not meant to be in the PS4 thread? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Read the previous post and you'll understand

Read the previous post and you'll understand

Ah right!

cee_jay wrote: »
    I got Horace based on the recommendation here, and really enjoying it.

I got Zelda Breath of the Wild and Mario Kart as Christmas presents. Mario Kart has been great to play with my nieces and nephew online when we can't be together.
    I bought Super Mario Odyssey on sale then the other evening.

I have basically played Animal Crossing since I got the Switch earlier in the year, and now I am overcome with choice!

Well, go slowly with BOTW and Odyssey. Best games ever ! Probably !!

mrcheez wrote: »

No to lite. It'd be awkward.

Full fat Switch forever !

:)

• Advertisement

No to lite. It'd be awkward.

Full fat Switch forever !

:)

Ah the Lite is awesome... Have too many consoles connected to my TV and the Lite feels so solid in the hands. Love the yellow too, brings out the colours in games more too.

I might grab the Ring fit though just to test it ....when it's on sale ;)

Advertisement