Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

aside from having to buy joycons, ring fit is surely pointless with a switch lite unless you're planning on strapping the switch lite in front of your eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

glasso wrote: »
    aside from having to buy joycons, ring fit is surely pointless with a switch lite unless you're planning on strapping the switch lite in front of your eyes

So it wouldn't work if you had a small TV for example? I can read the Lite display clearly from 1.5m away so that would probably be where I'd be situated while running.

Curious if there is there very small text that you need to look at?

mrcheez wrote: »
    So it wouldn't work if you had a small TV for example? I can read the Lite display clearly from 1.5m away so that would probably be where I'd be situated while running.

Curious if there is there very small text that you need to look at?

trying to look at a tiny screen while doing a workout with a ring fit would be plain ridiculous.

trying to look at a tiny screen while doing a workout with a ring fit would be plain ridiculous.

maybe one of these then :pac:

https://www.amazon.com/Screen-Magnifier-Nintendo-Switch-Mobile-Magnifying/dp/B07KWG99CT

would be great if you're exceptionally good at keeping your head in one spot exactly whilst running on the spot, doing your ab crunches etc etc

• Advertisement

would be great if you're exceptionally good at keeping your head in one spot exactly whilst running on the spot, doing your ab crunches etc etc

curious though, wouldn't it be hard for people to look at the normal TV while doing ab crunches?

In fact the handheld mode might be easier as you can move it around to make it easier to view depending on the exercise.

curious though, wouldn't it be hard for people to look at the normal TV while doing ab crunches?

In fact the handheld mode might be easier as you can move it around to make it easier to view depending on the exercise.

When you have a big tv (big tv's are very relatively cheap and pretty much everyone has one) you only have to have it in front of you to easily see what is going on from any angle - even if down low etc

I think that we'll have to disagree on your switch lite ring fit suitability - but please do get it and maybe even make a youtube workout vid or something - would be fun viewing I'm sure!

I actually am seriously considering it... would just need to see a few videos of Ring Fit Adventure to see just how much of an issue it would be with small text, but if all characters/prompts are full-screen size it could actually be quite a handy portable workout system :D

Of course if you're only using it at home, the TV would be handy, but if you're like me and would prefer to workout in the garden, the portable solution would be better!

I do my VR boxing out in the garden and workup a huge sweat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Just finished Stage 7 of Horace and that might be the weirdest thing I have ever experienced in a video game! In general though, I am really enjoying the game and all the little nostalgic callbacks in it. My first real gaming was on an Amstrad 6128, so this all feels very familiar!

Before getting Horace, I was working my way through Monster Boy and The Cursed Kingdom. Got to a boss that I found impossible so taking a break for a while.

Also based on the bargain alert thread, I got the Avicii Invector - Encore Edition. Wouldn't have been a fan of his music but it works really well on the TV with surround sound. No real stakes to the game so just a nice distraction more than anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Playing three at the moment:

Transistor: SuperGiant Games' earlier effort prior to Hades. It's a SuperGiant game so you know it's good. You can actually see shades of Hades' structure in this game, especially in regards to the dynamic, reactive narrative. Wish they'd release Pyre on Switch too, strange they haven't given all the rest are available.

Lair of the Clockwork God: Point & Click adventure mixed with platforming; its script has a heavy (British) comedy style to it, mostly tearing into tropes and clichés of video games. Very meta, but not obnoxiously so. The only complaint is the game is a little bugged out in places, with the platforming not feeling Best in Class by any stretch.

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom: Gorgeous art work and some tight gameplay, but every now and again there'll be some tediously hard platforming section so I've been playing this in fits and starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Still tempted by Journey its still €20 in argos

Wasn't aware it was on sale, collecting today! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

pixelburp wrote: »
    Playing three at the moment:

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom: Gorgeous art work and some tight gameplay, but every now and again there'll be some tediously hard platforming section so I've been playing this in fits and starts.

Picked this up about 8 months back and I'd say I have about 2 hrs left in the game before I finish. I'm only trying to finish it out of pure stubborness though as I rarely enjoy it when I turn it on. The changing into different animals gimmick was nice at first but quickly gets tedious once you have most of the monster forms unlocked and have to change monster around 8 times to finish a platform section or solve a puzzle. I dont mind difficult puzzles but for some reason I never feel a sense of satisfaction after solving one in this, just frustration. I'm probably in the minority cos it seems very well reviewed just find it more frustrating than any game I've played in a long time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

skerry wrote: »
    Picked this up about 8 months back and I'd say I have about 2 hrs left in the game before I finish. I'm only trying to finish it out of pure stubborness though as I rarely enjoy it when I turn it on. The changing into different animals gimmick was nice at first but quickly gets tedious once you have most of the monster forms unlocked and have to change monster around 8 times to finish a platform section or solve a puzzle. I dont mind difficult puzzles but for some reason I never feel a sense of satisfaction after solving one in this, just frustration. I'm probably in the minority cos it seems very well reviewed just find it more frustrating than any game I've played in a long time.

No, that's about where I stand with the game. As you say it was a cute gimmick at first but there's no elegance or creativity to how the mix and match puzzles are executed. So it's definitely a game played as a chore than pure enjoyment. I may drop it TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I got as far as the haunted house area and just fell off. That was about a year ago.
    I loved the start of the game though. I might try and go back to it to finish it (I just looked it up and it's the 4th last section so I'm over the three quarters mark)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Still tempted by Journey its still €20 in argos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Mr E wrote: »
    I got as far as the haunted house area and just fell off. That was about a year ago.
    I loved the start of the game though. I might try and go back to it to finish it (I just looked it up and it's the 4th last section so I'm over the three quarters mark)

Finished up that area last week and was the most confusing and frustrating part of the game so far. I've maybe 3 areas left and not sure I could be arsed now to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

One of these days I'm gonna Tony Soprano you then let's see how much you lika that song.

Missed my reservation last night now argos is kaput glad some got it here at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Missed my reservation last night now argos is kaput glad some got it here at least.

You can still collect existing orders, I think

Can't rereserve it now the game would have gone on the pile of shame that is my backlog

• Advertisement

Xofpod wrote: »
    Picked up Lumo and Rogue Trooper Redux in the sale, both around the €2 mark and tremendous value.
    Lumo is a flashback to Head Over Heels style isometric games, Rogue Trooper a CoD style shooter based on the 200AD comic which I only ever played briefly on the Wii. Runs much more smoothly here. Real retro feel to the start of 2021 for me so far, which I have zero problems with...

I picked up Rogue Trooper Redux on SA Store just there, had it on my mind since you mentioned it and reviews look decent for what it is: portable Gears of War!

Plus I'm a 2000AD fan (though mostly Dredd / Slaine), so can't go wrong.

Got it for €1.47 as I had some points and...er... I found €1 left in a shopping trolley yesterday so had to spend it on something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Playing 51 Worldwide Games a lot, plenty in it, and it's nice to play a few games with my sister in the UK but I think it could have been much much better. The AI and difficulty level is all over the place, and there's some real filler material in there and poor versions of games (the sports games are mostly crapand Texas Hold Em and War are woefully bad).

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I picked up Rogue Trooper Redux on SA Store just there, had it on my mind since you mentioned it and reviews look decent for what it is: portable Gears of War!

Plus I'm a 2000AD fan (though mostly Dredd / Slaine), so can't go wrong.

Got it for €1.47 as I had some points and...er... I found €1 left in a shopping trolley yesterday so had to spend it on something :D

I used to be a fan of 2000AD myself, back in the day, and I played through Rogue Trooper with a smile on my face the first time it was released.
    The comic has been seriously under-represented, but that probably has more to do with it's fanbase being limited to the UK and Ireland, more or less.
    Dredd... yes, some good games there.
    I was more of a Nemesis/ABC Warriors fan myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I used to be a fan of 2000AD myself, back in the day, and I played through Rogue Trooper with a smile on my face the first time it was released.
    The comic has been seriously under-represented, but that probably has more to do with it's fanbase being limited to the UK and Ireland, more or less.
    Dredd... yes, some good games there.
    I was more of a Nemesis/ABC Warriors fan myself.

Rebellion, who took over the 2000AD publishing, seemed to be doing a really good job with reprints and licencing, including this Rogue game, so I had high hopes a few years ago of some decent games being generated. Never materialised though. The relative failure of the (great) Dredd movie may have stopped their gallop.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

IDW is printing some 2000AD characters. at least they've done Dredd comics as well as Rogue Trooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Haven't died once in Horace....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭nextgengamer

The Nal wrote: »
    Haven't died once in Horace....

More than once perhaps ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭nextgengamer

• Advertisement

I seem to not be able to put Horace down.
    I mean, it's infuriating, but I just can't wait to see what sort of insanity comes next.
    I watched the ZeroPunctuation review and it's spot on, but I just can't help having a go, which turns into an hour on it.
    Some of it is to see what cultural references are going to pop up next, with the whole format reminding me strongly of, not only the obvious JSW and Manic Miner games, but also a lot of the platformers that appeared on the Amiga.

Advertisement