Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I seem to not be able to put Horace down.
    I mean, it's infuriating, but I just can't wait to see what sort of insanity comes next.

Same. Chapter 12 now. Got value from my €1.49 anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭nextgengamer

Yep, time for me to give GTA5 on series x a break and get back to some Horace on switch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd have picked up Horace ages ago, sounds like something I'd enjoy, but the repeated mention of ball-tightening difficulty spikes has put me way off from picking it up.

In the meantime, just enjoying the simple pleasures of blatant Han Solo / Firefly simulator Rebel Galaxy Outlaw. Zooming around space soundtracked to US hillbilly rock is a blast. It also stealths in a genuinely excellent Pool game, available when you dock at a station, so that's a nice bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭nextgengamer

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'd have picked up Horace ages ago, sounds like something I'd enjoy, but the repeated mention of ball-tightening difficulty spikes has put me way off from picking it up.

In the meantime, just enjoying the simple pleasures of blatant Han Solo / Firefly simulator Rebel Galaxy Outlaw. Zooming around space soundtracked to US hillbilly rock is a blast. It also stealths in a genuinely excellent Pool game, available when you dock at a station, so that's a nice bonus.

Sounds good, I need something to chill out to at the moment. BOTW is that kind of game for me. But I've played it to death. Will check that game out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sen7877

I'm playing Animal Crossing New Horizons and Ori and the Will of the Wisps currently

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Played more Horace this evening...
    Jeepers, and the hits keep coming!
    From the Alice in Wonderland pastiche to the Manic Miner tribute, it's insane, infuriating genius.
    Also, for a change, I played Need for Speed Hot Pursuit and it's fantastic, a real reminder of what the franchise used to be, at the start.
    Enjoyed a few races and then just spent 20 minutes using the free roam mode, looks excellent up on the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Getting fairly addicted to Hades now.

At first I thought it was a fairly standard rogue-like and the reception was overhyped, but the more you play the more it layers on additional aspects that keep it entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

My current game is one called Foregone. It reviewed above average and I think it should have scored better. It looks very similar to Dead Cells (so I think people were expecting a similar experience) and it launched with performance issues (which have since been patched). It's a great game. It's mainly melee, but you have a ranged weapon that can be refilled by using melee attacks. It has a loot system (you come across new weapons as you beat enemies and bosses) and an upgrade/skill tree. Graphics and animation are lovely (although sound is a bit forgettable). It has NG+ and some harder difficulties when you finish too, so it has replayability. Not a roguelike/lite either - levels have a fixed layout and there are lots of checkpoints.

I was fighting a boss this morning and they usually drop good loot when you beat them. This asshole killed me as I killed him, so I missed out on the goodies when I beat him. Or so I thought - when I checked my inventory, it had been given to me. Nice little touches like this make me appreciate the thought that developers put into their work.

It's €29.99 now but was on sale over Christmas. Add to the wishlist and grab it when it's back on sale. I think it's a bloody great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just finished the main story, and most the map on Immortals Fenyx Rising. About 40 hours in total, all in handheld. Not performance hits, game played really well, and is well worth a go if you loved Breath of the Wild (and who didn't!). It's not as good, obviously, but it's a lot of fun, some decent challenges. Camera is a bit finicky in places, and the controls could be a be tighter, but it was definitely worth the 30 or so I paid for it.

There's a Season Pass with 3 separate stories - one is a continuation, one is based on Chinese mythology, and one is a prequel of sorts. I'll wait for it to go down in price a bit, as no point in getting it now as none of the content is out yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Finishing the dlc on Pokemon Shield currently stuck on Regice and finding/catching Moltres spent 3 hours overnight on surprise trading got some strange shines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Finished Ni No Kuni faster than I thought and Journey to the Savage Planet didn't suit me so back on Golf Story :) same fun the second time through.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Playing a bit of Child of light and a lot of Valiant Hearts. Never got around to playing it on other platforms, think I even had it on PS3 with PS+ (but might be wrong) Got this cart for one of my kids and he's barely played it, so it's going into my games case.

Both very good games so far, Valiant Hearts particularly good and is a very accessible way for people to learn about World War One (and war in general). Think I need to persuade my lad to have a crack at it when I'm finished.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Super Meat Boy Forever. Bought it on PC as well but thought it would be ideal for the Switch Lite. Not sure what to think of it tbh. Can fly through the levels easy enough, once you’re willing to die a load of times in order to see what you need to do, but not finding it very rewarding.

Could see myself giving it a lot of time to try and unlock the dark world, Jesus the times are hard to beat, but then also what’s the point really. Honestly feels like a bit of a waste unfortunately, all that great game design and mechanics based around just repeatedly pressing the B button. The way meat boy responded to movement in the first game was beautiful, seems a real shame he removed it.

It is what it is and I want to like it but yeah finding it tough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was waiting for the Super Meat Boy sequel since it's announcement.
    Bought it right away, and everything about it is great, except it's an autorunner.
    What a disappointment, for me at least.
    And I don't see myself putting any time into it, not when there's better games to play, including Bit.Trip.Runner 3 which is more fun and cheaper.

I was waiting for the Super Meat Boy sequel since it's announcement.
    Bought it right away, and everything about it is great, except it's an autorunner.
    What a disappointment, for me at least.
    And I don't see myself putting any time into it, not when there's better games to play, including Bit.Trip.Runner 3 which is more fun and cheaper.

you could try "the end is nigh" if you haven't already.

harder than SMB though

I bought The End is Nigh, in physical form.
    It's okay but I would be hard pressed to call it "fun", pretty grim stuff.
    Certainly none of the humour that made Super Meat Boy and it's tougher levels bearable.

I bought The End is Nigh, in physical form.
    It's okay but I would be hard pressed to call it "fun", pretty grim stuff.
    Certainly none of the humour that made Super Meat Boy and it's tougher levels bearable.

not sure what you were expecting?

it is called "The End is Nigh" after all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

For any N64 No Mercy/WWE lovers, Wrestling Empire is a good bit of fun

An absolute mess some of time but a very fun time passer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

For any N64 No Mercy/WWE lovers, Wrestling Empire is a good bit of fun

An absolute mess some of time but a very fun time passer

Saw a review that said it was all done by one person - which makes it even more impressive.

glasso wrote: »
    not sure what you were expecting?

it is called "The End is Nigh" after all :pac:

Well, more humour, given McMillen's previous form.
    But, no, I tried to like it but it was just pure drudgery after a while.
    I don't mind a challenge but didn't have fun with The End Is Nigh.
    I have a feeling too that a lot of sales were based on the previous purchase of Super Meat Boy, with the colour and humour it embodied.
    And, believe me, there is little in the way of colour in the new one.

It's more like Super Meat Boy meets The Binding of Isaac, leaning into the most grim occurances in the latter title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Have to say I'm enjoying Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity much more than I though I would. Playing a couple of levels a night with my daughter, who has revealed a murderous intensity I never before suspected...
    Also really whets the appetite for BOTW2. Any rumours of eta?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Xofpod wrote: »
    Have to say I'm enjoying Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity much more than I though I would. Playing a couple of levels a night with my daughter, who has revealed a murderous intensity I never before suspected...
    Also really whets the appetite for BOTW2. Any rumours of eta?

Hard to tell if you say that with pride, concern or both

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Still playing my G&W Super Mario from time to time

I found out that it has roughly the same dimensions vertically as a Huawei Y3ii phone, so I ordered a phone case for it just to see if it will act as a nice way to carry it around securely, plus double as an elegant stand for the clock.

Should look something like this: https://ibb.co/VJXC53s

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Horace done. Absolutely loved it. 18 hours of pure fun. For €1.49!

Good interview with the maker here

Being There. Of course.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Hard to tell if you say that with pride, concern or both

Pride tinged with "will I be murdered in my sleep" fear

Xofpod wrote: »
    Pride tinged with "will I be murdered in my sleep" fear

Should be safe though cos I'm not a wizrobe. She hates those ####s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

The Nal wrote: »
    Horace done. Absolutely loved it. 18 hours of pure fun. For €1.49!

Good interview with the maker here

Being There. Of course.

I’m obviously a shockingly bad gamer - I literally can’t play this game! Way too hard for me!

I am a better collector than player of games.
    Of course, they are often found in tandem but not, sadly, in me.
    As a result I have a vast collection of games and neither the time or the talent to get very far in many of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

As a result I have a vast collection of games and neither the time or the talent to get very far in many of them.

I usually quantify my purchases based on €1 spent should give me 1 day of enjoyment.

So if I spend €5 and get 5 days of enjoyment (not necessarily all at once) that's money well spent and I've no worries about not playing it further.

Not necessarily a full day either.. just a couple of hours per day would be regarded as a "day"

EDIT: Actually I guess you could look at it as each €1 should give 1 hour of enjoyment if you assume 1 hour is played in a day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I found quite a while back that my enjoyment of my gaming time increased substantially when I let myself acknowledge a "not having fun any more" threshold. Some games I can finish without getting close to it - others I barely get an hour in. But where I might previously have stubbornly persisted, now I just chuck it on a "nope" list and move to the next thing.

I feel that doing this has helped me enjoy a much greater amount of the time I have to play games, in part because I don't think I've ever been the type of gamer who relishes e.g. several hours of trial and error before clearing a level or objective.

Advertisement