Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I forgot how crap the first few hour of Majoras Mask are. Ploddy story, weak characters, bad graphics. I know it picks up so looking forward to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

The Nal wrote: »
    I forgot how crap the first few hour of Majoras Mask are. Ploddy story, weak characters, bad graphics. I know it picks up so looking forward to that.

The 3DS version is supposed to fix a few things, but it's too expensive at the moment. Hoping we see a switch version that I can play docked.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

The Nal wrote: »
    I know people love it but it's always been my least favourite Zelda game.
    Feels good to get that heresy out into the open....

Xofpod wrote: »
    I know people love it but it's always been my least favourite Zelda game.
    Feels good to get that heresy out into the open....

Ha yeah I can see why people stopped playing it early on. I like it though and it does become great but yeah, the first few hours, baffling really how weak it is. Id actually have it in my top 3 (With BOTW and Ocarina) with Wind Waker just behind. 3 of the 4 temples are great. The water one not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Never liked Majora's Mask at all.
    Had it on Gamecube and really tried to get into it on the 3DS. Didn't get far either time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I played the 3DS verison, and it was decent, but I still preferred Ocarina, which I have replayed a few times, whereas I've just completed Majoras Mask the once.

I would still give it another go, but I'm not buying a 3DS for it - I'll cling to my hope that Nintendo will release a Zelda Compendium for the Switch with Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time, Majoras Mask, Link Between Words, and sure, let's know in Minish Cap, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, and original Links Awakening for the laugh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had a mate at the time that loved LoZ, and played them all to completion, including MM.
    MM was the best of the bunch he thought, given that it was only as far as MM that had been released, and that was on the N64.
    I felt that my dislike of the game was because I just didn't get it, and while I see others who didn't enjoy it either on here, I still think I am right for me at least.
    The shape of the game, in terms of time and puzzle cycles just didn't click, if it did I would have had a lot more fun.
    I must find my 3DS copy and give it a try, though I could play it on the N64 or GC instead... not sure.
    Heck, I have it emulated on PC as well...
    Might stick to the the 3DS...

Isn't the 3DS version supposed to make the game easier to save with less backtracking?

Also, I think you need to do the side quests to get the most out of it.

Played it on a PC years ago and got so far and got tired of the atmosphere and repetition.

Will wait until the remastered version of it appears if I have too at this stage. I got plenty of other things to play and not much time! I'm not falling for Nintendo FOMO. :) Again :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

If anyone got a Super Mario G&W, I discovered the Huawei Y3 II phone case is a perfect fit for display / carrying it around. Closes up nicely too if sticking in your pocket.

544581.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭tbahh

It took me so long to get into Majora's Mask. I bought it when it came out on 3DS but only got around to playing it properly a year ago. I have the original 3DS so I finally got some proper use out of the Pro Controller. Once you get over the first hour or two, it's an amazing game. So much darker than OoT and cool dungeons, especially one towards the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I always kinda dismissed Majora's Mask as hipster Zelda - the clock gimmick was unappealing, as was the reuse of Ocarina assets. It all felt very licensed rom-hacky to me until I did the unimaginable thing and played the actual thing on the 3DS. It's the most effective mood-piece I've ever seen committed to a game cart - just a wonderful triumph of vision in all its slightly disturbing, melancholic glory. I've become sort of retroactively disappointed by the fact Aonuma feels the need to apologise or excuse certain aspects of its design as him being young, dumb and a little arrogant.

That being said, the n64 version is uglier than sin. Holy Jesus, I've seen it run through every upscaler the world over and it looks like devil taint. I don't how there has arisen a culture of purism around the original versus the 3DS remake. Boo hoo, the hopping physics are slightly off - it plays the same and doesn't look like a beige-y blur.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Tingle will get you for that

Tingle Tingle Kooloo-Limpah!!!

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

That being said, the n64 version is uglier than sin. Holy Jesus, I've seen it run through every upscaler the world over and it looks like devil taint.

Yes this occurred to me last night jumping around the swamp so have packed it in. Just too ugly to play again for 20 hours.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

My first playthrough of both N64 Zeldas was on the GC retrospective collection, and for whatever reason MM clicked better for me than OoT at that time. Aside from anything else the melancholy atmosphere of it all was quite distinctive.

Not sure I'd play through either again, though, at least not with the original visuals.

Fysh wrote: »
    My first playthrough of both N64 Zeldas was on the GC retrospective collection, and for whatever reason MM clicked better for me than OoT at that time. Aside from anything else the melancholy atmosphere of it all was quite distinctive.

Not sure I'd play through either again, though, at least not with the original visuals.

Remastered Ocarina rom looks great, proper HD. Still plays great. Think I've probably played it once every couple of years minimum since it came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I always kinda dismissed Majora's Mask as hipster Zelda - the clock gimmick was unappealing, as was the reuse of Ocarina assets. It all felt very licensed rom-hacky to me until I did the unimaginable thing and played the actual thing on the 3DS. It's the most effective mood-piece I've ever seen committed to a game cart - just a wonderful triumph of vision in all its slightly disturbing, melancholic glory. I've become sort of retroactively disappointed by the fact Aonuma feels the need to apologise or excuse certain aspects of its design as him being young, dumb and a little arrogant.

That being said, the n64 version is uglier than sin. Holy Jesus, I've seen it run through every upscaler the world over and it looks like devil taint. I don't how there has arisen a culture of purism around the original versus the 3DS remake. Boo hoo, the hopping physics are slightly off - it plays the same and doesn't look like a beige-y blur.

Hipster Zelda, lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Picked up Blue fire from our Russian Comrades.

Had a chuckle that at checkout I was informed I had no glasses. KGB earning their salt!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Was playing this in the morning... for some reason needed it

Just replaying BioShock again - got it a while ago, and I felt the need for something familiar - it still holds up very well.

I would advise playing it in airplane mode though - It keeps on trying to reconnect to the 2K server, and fails on that when you wake from sleep - led to a few game crashes - none since I switched on Airplane Mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Danny_DeVito

The seventh dungeon in Link’s Awakening frustrated the absolute hell out of me last night, though it was a good frustration, every time I messed up I felt beaten by the game, really enjoy that sort of challenge! Two dungeons left, a few seashells and a few heart pieces to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

chrislad wrote: »
    Just replaying BioShock again - got it a while ago, and I felt the need for something familiar - it still holds up very well.

I would advise playing it in airplane mode though - It keeps on trying to reconnect to the 2K server, and fails on that when you wake from sleep - led to a few game crashes - none since I switched on Airplane Mode.
    I just pulled this out again and woke up this morning wanting to play it. The other couple of times I started it it didn't click fully but hopefully this time it will stick. Haven't even touched the other 2 in the set yet :pac:

xckjoo wrote: »
    I just pulled this out again and woke up this morning wanting to play it. The other couple of times I started it it didn't click fully but hopefully this time it will stick. Haven't even touched the other 2 in the set yet :pac:

Best advice I can give is to take your time - don't worry about dying - you'll die lots at the start, but once your plasmids build up, it's a lot harder to die.

Search out as many audio files as you can - they are the backbone of the experience. The gameplay is grand - the story is the real treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The seventh dungeon in Link’s Awakening frustrated the absolute hell out of me last night, though it was a good frustration, every time I messed up I felt beaten by the game, really enjoy that sort of challenge! Two dungeons left, a few seashells and a few heart pieces to go.

I finished it yesterday, enjoyed it, but actually wasn't sorry to see the back of it either. And I also hated that dungeon, but I didn't think it was good frustrating, just fuppin annoying.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I finished it yesterday, enjoyed it, but actually wasn't sorry to see the back of it either. And I also hated that dungeon, but I didn't think it was good frustrating, just fuppin annoying.

I really enjoyed it too. I can't even remember the Eagle dungeon!

I found the last boss frustrating, mainly because when you died you had to walk a bit back to where he was.

I never played any of the original Zelda's, BOTW / LA remake were my first ones. I'd love them to remake the older 2d ones in a similar style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

Just begining links awakening now, loving the style it has so a good weekend ahead for myself

Super Mario 3D Land. House is upside down at the moment, sorting out attic crap etc etc etc. So it's a very convenient game to play on the 2DS XL. This is my second time to go through this game. It definitely does a lot of things really well. Also, no game patches, updates, DLC or any other crap. Everything is on the cartridge! Instant fun.

I'm playing a few games.

The Outer Worlds. Good game, I'm really enjoying it. The graphics and performance aren't great though. The Switch really isn't built for these games.

Limbo. This is an interesting game. A very dreary platform puzzle game.

Valiant Hearts. Another puzzle platform game. It's ok.

Super Meat Boy. A lot of fun, this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm slowly working my way through 3D World on the Switch, I have to allocate it play time, alongside the likes of Moose Life on the PS4 and Destiny2 on Stadia.
    But, despite it's age, 3D World is still spectacular and plays like a new title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Just decided to jump back into the Witcher 3 by buying the Complete Edition.

Have it already on PS4 with about 30 hours in but even though I loved it I just find it much harder to get time to sit down and play the PS4 these days. Hopefully on Switch I can finish it because it is an amazing game, can't beat portable gameplay when you have limited gaming opportunities. Switch is a great dad machine.

• Advertisement

Yep. Switch is like a pacifier for Dads. Portable and keeps them quiet when they are cranky and tired :)

Advertisement