Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

I'm playing a few games.

The Outer Worlds. Good game, I'm really enjoying it. The graphics and performance aren't great though. The Switch really isn't built for these games.

Limbo. This is an interesting game. A very dreary platform puzzle game.

Valiant Hearts. Another puzzle platform game. It's ok.

Super Meat Boy. A lot of fun, this.

I also bought The War of Mine a while ago. Tried it out last night. It's one of those games that drops you in and says "**** you, you figure it out".

I can't stand that. How about a little tutorial?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭McFly85

I’ve been looking to get stuck into a good JRPG recently, so I’ve decided on Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Never played the first one but this got better reviews so said why not!

A couple of hours in and I’m enjoying it. I love how vast it feels, and while I’m being eased into the combat I can see there’s scope there for some decent strategy.

There are SO MANY rules though, about everything, even the best way to sell things! And considering how many things you can upgrade, manage or switch up the menu isn’t the most intuitive.

By far the worst thing about it so far is the voice acting. I’m going to have to download the Japanese language pack before I play it again. All in all though happy with the purchase so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

McFly85 wrote: »
    I’ve been looking to get stuck into a good JRPG recently, so I’ve decided on Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Never played the first one but this got better reviews so said why not!

A couple of hours in and I’m enjoying it. I love how vast it feels, and while I’m being eased into the combat I can see there’s scope there for some decent strategy.

There are SO MANY rules though, about everything, even the best way to sell things! And considering how many things you can upgrade, manage or switch up the menu isn’t the most intuitive.

By far the worst thing about it so far is the voice acting. I’m going to have to download the Japanese language pack before I play it again. All in all though happy with the purchase so far!

Fantastic game. I switched over to Japanese audio within the first few hours, couldn't handle the Welsh accents. Its very tutorial heavy alright. My play through was about 90 hours and I think I got my last tutorial screen pop up around 85 hours in :)

Combat seems simple at first but once you build up a decent mix of blades you really get into the swing of things and can use the break mechanic and fights will be a lot quicker. If you move your character a fraction between auto attacks it will charge your arts much quicker, think its called auto attack canceling if you need to Google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Danny_DeVito

I finished it yesterday, enjoyed it, but actually wasn't sorry to see the back of it either. And I also hated that dungeon, but I didn't think it was good frustrating, just fuppin annoying.

Glad you enjoyed it anyway! The backtracking in that dungeon, and the falling through the floors, was annoying but I still liked it! I’d say the game is up there with A Link Between Worlds and OoT as my favourite Zelda’s. Found the final boss tricky, and I stopped short of 100% completion, two heart pieces, a seashell and a handful of those building stone things to get!
    recyclops wrote: »
    Just begining links awakening now, loving the style it has so a good weekend ahead for myself

Hope you’re enjoying it, it’s an absolutely fantastic game! I’d love a few more remasters of the top down games, I think the first two are the only ones I haven’t played though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Finished BioShock and jumped into BioShock 2. I used to always prefer BioShock 1, but I have to say that BioShock 2 has aged much better in terms of controls, and the graphics are a next level up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Anyone hands on with Bravely Default?

Playing Dragon Quest but it feels pretty bland or something so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Can't really stand most RPGs.
    Got a Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga 3DS game to try ... not sure if that qualifies ...
    Then my next move would be to try Fire Emblem Three Houses ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

finished up links awakening last night, I enjoyed it although it is very of its original time, I rathered a link between worlds if being honest and I have no urge to scour the island for sea shells.

But I would recommend it as a nice little pick me up

I rathered a link between worlds if being honest and I have no urge to scour the island for sea shells.

ALBW’s is definitely better, but for me nothing is able to compete with it, top down wise, it’s a magical game. But I’d say they’re both 10/10 for me.

Playing Kirby Star Allies now, it’s okay, pretty meh, with some very enjoyable parts. The only other Kirby I’ve played so far is Triple Deluxe which was superb. Planning to get through my backlog of Switch games before the summer starts, Luigi’s Mansion 3 after this, can’t wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

Really enjoyed playing Luigi's Mansion 3 in co-op. A beautiful game and not too taxing...…..

Moved onto Super Mario Sunshine. I have to try really really hard not to swear in front of my son:-) I knew what was coming, but some of the shines are just sadistic....

• Advertisement

Wikidy wrote: »
    Really enjoyed playing Luigi's Mansion 3 in co-op. A beautiful game and not too taxing...…..

Moved onto Super Mario Sunshine. I have to try really really hard not to swear in front of my son:-) I knew what was coming, but some of the shines are just sadistic....

Don’t think I’ll play it co-op but I’m sure it’ll still blow my mind, couldn’t afford the original but I’ve got it waiting on me whenever I can pick up my 3DS collection! Dark Moon was amazing though, first game I played on the 3DS!

Sold Sunshine on the GC when I went through the sell everything I’ll regret selling teenage phase. But I got the recent collection, played a few hours of it, loved it, and I’ll get back into it a few games down the line!

Finished the main game in Super Mario 3D Land on 2DS XL. Again! Really an excellent "little" game on a great device. Great value as a Nintendo select. 10/10

Next up, restart ALBW and finish it this time.

A Link Between Worlds. Just zips along. Very clever. The story and panting/2d mechanic is so original. Great sense of humour too.

ALBW. Into Lorule now. I've done one dungeon here. Finding the rest and powering up before I complete any more. Well, definitely the fire rod and bomerang :) Love that it's so open compared to the other Zelda's, except BOTW of course. Had done a lot of this before but I'd forgotten everything except the weapon mechanics. Brilliant game.

Really enjoying returning to BOTW then I go into a shrine and nintendo force gyro controls on me. Grrrrrrr

I get it the switch has gyro your previous consoles did too and it was rubbish then please stop forcing it on people :(

Really enjoying returning to BOTW then I go into a shrine and nintendo force gyro controls on me. Grrrrrrr

I get it the switch has gyro your previous consoles did too and it was rubbish then please stop forcing it on people :(

I don't think those shrines are mandatory. Only a couple I think.

How do you find bow aiming with gyro or do you avoid it ? E.g. cutting the ropes with fine grain precision. I really miss this kind of control on e.g. Xbox. Also doesn't PS5 embrace gyro control with the new controller ...?

But, yes, it should always be optional or facilitated some.other way.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The gyro shrines in BOTW were the worst. It was poxy cause it always messed up eventually.

I don't use any gyro except for when the game forces it. I want to do all shrines so persevere when necessary.

I just have been so used to dual analogue I have no issues with them, yeah skkmy have been dabbling with it for years since ps3 or so. Same as all others I just turn it off

ALBW, decided to play for a "short while" ... 2 dungeons later :) 3ds dual screen very, very useful for map, items, ...
    Powered up bomerang is brilliant for cutting the grass and picking up a load of collectibles. Think this is the most streamlined and fun Zelda I've played. It's Pacman Zelda :)

Just finished Star Allies, the last two worlds were great, think I just didn’t know what I was doing in the first two worlds. It’s a fantastic game, and the final boss battle... HOLY WHOA! It was so much fun, my smile was up to my ears for the entirety of it xD

Gotta decide on what to play next, it’s either gonna be Sunshine or Luigi’s Mansion, already a bit through Sunshine so I might go with that before my latest JoyCons start drifting!

• Advertisement

Just finished Star Allies, the last two worlds were great, think I just didn’t know what I was doing in the first two worlds. It’s a fantastic game, and the final boss battle... HOLY WHOA! It was so much fun, my smile was up to my ears for the entirety of it xD

Gotta decide on what to play next, it’s either gonna be Sunshine or Luigi’s Mansion, already a bit through Sunshine so I might go with that before my latest JoyCons start drifting!

Luigi's Mansion is ok, I found it got a bit repetitive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

awec wrote: »
    Luigi's Mansion is ok, I found it got a bit repetitive.

Certainly, in Luigi's Mansion 3 it was a common complaint, it was great fun but the game was filled with repetition to pad it out, even though it would have been fine if it was that bit shorter instead.
    I don't remember complaints about the 2nd one on the DS having that trouble and, certainly, the original on the Gamecube was a perfect combination of charm and challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Got sucked back into Animal Crossing, now just building stuff (castles etc) and fine-tuning my island once a day and then some SteamWorld Quest.

I think I'm in a holding pattern though, waiting for something new. I've beaten (or gotten as close as I can to beating) every game I have. I play some Dead Cells or Nuclear Thrones to keep sharp (-as a spoon, I'm bad at those games) but it's releases later this year I'm waiting for.

Rumours of Valheim and Mass Effect on Switch, the Lego Star Wars game, whatever they release for the Zelda anniversary* etc. This is what is keeping me going.

*Skyward Sword doesn't count, I loved parts of that game but the bits I hated are too present for me to want to splash out again.

I'm playing a few games.

The Outer Worlds. Good game, I'm really enjoying it. The graphics and performance aren't great though. The Switch really isn't built for these games.

Limbo. This is an interesting game. A very dreary platform puzzle game.

Valiant Hearts. Another puzzle platform game. It's ok.

Super Meat Boy. A lot of fun, this.

Just finished Limbo. Also finished The Outer Worlds.

I dropped Valiant Hearts because I couldn't get past a level.

Ditto Super Meat Boy, the first boss broke my heart.

So now I'm going back to Breath of the Wild, a game I've never been able to fully get into. I know it's heresy to criticise the game, but I think it's mostly boring. I'm about halfway through though so I may as well finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

So now I'm going back to Breath of the Wild, a game I've never been able to fully get into. I know it's heresy to criticise the game, but I think it's mostly boring. I'm about halfway through though so I may as well finish it.

If you enjoyed Limbo, the give Inside a try. I liked Limbo but Loved Inside. After that if you're not sick of the genre, Little Nightmares is a good one to pick up when its on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

fixXxer wrote: »
    If you enjoyed Limbo, the give Inside a try. I liked Limbo but Loved Inside. After that if you're not sick of the genre, Little Nightmares is a good one to pick up when its on sale.

I thought Hue had a similar feel to Limbo too... got ya in the feels :pac:

I struggled with BOTW too tbh.

Mods - there are people saying not nice things about BOTW on here. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

BOTW was released to such universal acclaim it's easy to forget that there are people who didn't get it, not because they are wrong but because it isn't the kind of game they like.
    It's certainly a departure from LoZ games of the past and that's a positive and a negative

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    BOTW was released to such universal acclaim it's easy to forget that there are people who didn't get it, not because they are wrong but because it isn't the kind of game they like.
    It's certainly a departure from LoZ games of the past and that's a positive and a negative

The thing is I like open world action adventures, I really should love this but it doesn't resonate with me.

Advertisement