Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

The thing is I like open world action adventures, I really should love this but it doesn't resonate with me.

I’m the same. I really want to love it but I get so lost that I give up. I should caveat that by saying I’m far from what you would call a “gamer” but I love playing them! I might end up having to use a walkthrough because I do feel like I’m missing out on what seems to be an amazing game.

I’m the same. I really want to love it but I get so lost that I give up. I should caveat that by saying I’m far from what you would call a “gamer” but I love playing them! I might end up having to use a walkthrough because I do feel like I’m missing out on what seems to be an amazing game.

My thing is I don't engage much with the world. I don't really find NPC's to be interesting, I don't bother fighting unless I absolutely have to because there's usually no point, I go foraging/hunting a little but not a great deal.

Ultimately the game boils down to me pursuing the main quest, and climbing the odd mountain for the view and to hang glide.

I guess if I was more engrossed with the world I'd love it. But I'm not.

It's not a bad game. Far from it. But it's not for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Skyrim for you so!

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What I struggled with was the fact that after a couple of hours you paraglided off that plateau and that was it. Just figure it all out.

I need some structure in my games or I get overwhelmed.

awec wrote: »
    What I struggled with was the fact that after a couple of hours you paraglided off that plateau and that was it. Just figure it all out.

You know I've heard people say this before, but you are given a quest marker for that village. I'm sure of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Here you go: Structure:
    (1) Find all the towers. Unveil all the map.
    (2) Find loads of shrines, koraks, clothes, weapons, hearty fruits on the way or after (1). Upgrade, cook.
    (3) Do the 4 divine beasts. Do the bird one first as you get something that will make travelling a lot easier.
    (4) Castle time. Boss. Go in the front door or use a skill to go in another way.

And watch a few getting started guides on YouTube so that you learn some short cuts, quality of life improvements ... But no spoiler videos.

YoshiSays wrote: »
    Here you go: Structure:
    (1) Find all the towers. Unveil all the map.
    (2) Find loads of shrines, koraks, clothes, weapons, hearty fruits on the way or after (1). Upgrade, cook.
    (3) Do the 4 divine beasts. Do the bird one first as you get something that will make travelling a lot easier.
    (4) Castle time. Boss. Go in the front door or use a skill to go in another way.

And watch a few getting started guides on YouTube so that you learn some short cuts, quality of life improvements ... But no spoiler videos.

Oh I'm at the very end, just need to beat Gannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, if I remember correctly you're given all the main quest points and it's up to you the order in which you do them and how you do them

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah, if I remember correctly you're given all the main quest points and it's up to you the order in which you do them and how you do them

Actually I am pretty sure you're given the main quest, but it has no map markers to say where the 4 parts are. You just have to figure that part out.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Actually I am pretty sure you're given the main quest, but it has no map markers to say where the 4 parts are. You just have to figure that part out.

There absolutely are markers for those, you're given them after you talk to an important npc who is in the village that you're told about before you leave the plateau!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

there is markers as I am just starting my second playthrough, its a very good game but there really isn't enough narrative to keep you going , npcs and missions are paper thin and that's the only negative I really have about the game.

I do think had I of played it prior to playing the witcher 3 I may have thought more of it but sadly as that came first it set a benchmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

recyclops wrote: »
    there is markers as I am just starting my second playthrough, its a very good game but there really isn't enough narrative to keep you going , npcs and missions are paper thin and that's the only negative I really have about the game.

I do think had I of played it prior to playing the witcher 3 I may have thought more of it but sadly as that came first it set a benchmark.

Funny I am the complete opposite.

Have tried three times to get into the Witcher 3 and just cannot. Garalt controls like a horse riding a tank, its just so clunky.

oh no I love both games dont get me wrong its just witcher just edges it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Similar here, I tried playing The Witcher 3 a few times, and only recently got through the main story, whereas I've played through and completed BotW a number of times now! Find the world in BotW a lot more interesting, a lot more fun/rewarding to explore, and more engaging. Sure it's lovely in The Witcher 3, but it's mostly void of interest, other than finding stuff in the obvious ruins here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I go back to BOTW every now and then I lost my sight in 2015 due to medical complications had some surgeries and treatment which restored partial sight which flares up every now and then making gaming difficult.

That's why I love the switch as the handheld mode is easier to see and use. I still haven't beaten any of the divine beasts but I have gotten into the inner sanctum of Hyrule Castle BOTW is such a fun and beautiful game to play but chasing those damn boars the aforementioned gyroscope shrines and getting to the Zora domain was a lady dog.

Star Lord wrote: »
    Similar here, I tried playing The Witcher 3 a few times, and only recently got through the main story, whereas I've played through and completed BotW a number of times now! Find the world in BotW a lot more interesting, a lot more fun/rewarding to explore, and more engaging. Sure it's lovely in The Witcher 3, but it's mostly void of interest, other than finding stuff in the obvious ruins here and there.

But there is no reason for the BOTW exploring, there is no narrative, yes you see a mountain and say I want to climb it so you climb it and you find shrines and look through scope for other stuff you want to climb too, this is brilliant.

But its a time consumer, beyond wanting to know you have no reason to be going to places other than the 4 beats and the castle, the side quests are laughable for the majority of them (collect 30 wood, 10 crickets , stones, go take a picture of this etc)

BOTW is very good but its not engaging from a narrative point of view its the opposite, there is reason for what your doing and very little of it, which is why its perfect for the switch, pick it up for 20 mins walk to a new shrine complete shrine and switch off for a while.

I am not knocking the game really as it is brilliant at what it does right, Im really hoping BOTW2 doesn't rest on its laurels and actually looks at how good story driven games can be when executed well and I believe if they took a stab at it they could probably do better than the witcher

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm one of those weirdos where BOTW didn't fully click with me.
    I played up to and finished the first divine beast (and about 15 shrines), then kind of drifted away.

I will try again eventually. My save file is still there.

recyclops wrote: »
    BOTW is very good but its not engaging from a narrative point of view its the opposite, there is reason for what your doing and very little of it, which is why its perfect for the switch, pick it up for 20 mins walk to a new shrine complete shrine and switch off for a while.

Yes. I rarely play for more than 30 mins per session.

I personally think rescuing a princess trapped in a castle by a monster is a troupe that lost its bite many years ago. I hope they move on from it and maybe make Zelda the protagonist next. That opens all sorts of new narrative possibilities.

I think BOTW is more about the journey, rather than the destination (i.e. rescuing the princess).
    But yeah, rescuing the princess is a bit tired. Mario at it all the time too. :)

Mr E wrote: »
    I'm one of those weirdos where BOTW didn't fully click with me.
    I played up to and finished the first divine beast (and about 15 shrines), then kind of drifted away.

I will try again eventually. My save file is still there.

It took me 2 goes as well.

I played and beat the first divine beast then stopped playing for a long time, then picked it up and knocked out the other 3 beasts fairly quickly.

I didn't beat Gannon though. I got into Hyrule Castle and stopped playing again.

One thing for sure, in BOTW2 they better fix the damn cooking. What an absolute slog. Stand at fire and spend 10 minutes making meals cause you can only make 1 at a time!

• Advertisement

You can cancel the making meals animation. And stick to the hearty X fruits. Nothing fancy. Non of your gourmet stuff :)
    So keep a load of hearty stuff handy and just cook them, when you come across a pot.
    I think they added the cooking section for Happy Pear wannabies :):)

Not as as bad as RDR2, where you have to make a campsite, cook a meal, ... remove campsite ...
    Once nice thing in RDR2, is that you could go into a bar and get a meal served up.
    Felt great, especially with a beer. Felt like you deserved it after all the slogging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

YoshiSays wrote: »
    You can cancel the making meals animation. And stick to the hearty X fruits. Nothing fancy. Non of your gourmet stuff :)
    So keep a load of hearty stuff handy and just cook them, when you come across a pot.
    I think they added the cooking section for Happy Pear wannabies :):)

Not as as bad as RDR2, where you have to make a campsite, cook a meal, ... remove campsite ...
    Once nice thing in RDR2, is that you could go into a bar and get a meal served up.
    Felt great, especially with a beer. Felt like you deserved it after all the slogging around.

Yeah you really only need "hearty" stuff in BOTW for extra lives basically. Takes seconds every couple of days. The game gives you everything else you need.

You don't need to eat at all in RDR2 really.

I guess they nailed the atmosphere and world in RDR2.
    It actually feels good to get a meal and eat it.
    Whereas in BOTW it's a bit silly.

Loved both of these games. They are different.
    But the environment, vistas, blue skies are wonderful in each.

I didn't enjoy the crafting in BOTW because of that animation, even though you can skip it, it's still a slog.

Edit: I'm making it sound like I don't like the game. So here's some praise.

The graphics and art style are beautiful and really make the best of the Switch hardware.

The music is also gorgeous, very Studio Ghibli.

The game's physics are a wonder, probably the best I've seen.

I like how logical solving puzzles or problems feel. There's very few "what the hell am I supposed to do?" moments, that's great game design.

Exploring is made fun. If you're tempted to travel somewhere you'll probably find something cool.

I've a lot of positive things to say about the game. But I don't understand why it's "the greatest game ever".

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I still haven't played BotW. And one of the reasons is the inclusion of crafting. If ever there was a game mechanism that I have found uniformly tedious and a net detriment to my enjoyment of games, it's crafting. For me the presence of crafting in a game is like saying there are story-progression QTEs in there.

/Me prepares to be tarred & feathered

Fysh wrote: »
    I still haven't played BotW. And one of the reasons is the inclusion of crafting. If ever there was a game mechanism that I have found uniformly tedious and a net detriment to my enjoyment of games, it's crafting. For me the presence of crafting in a game is like saying there are story-progression QTEs in there.

the crafting and cooking in BOTW is quite simplistic and largely optional

There is no real crafting. It's just cooking and it's very, very basic. The only problem with it is you can only make 1 at a time so you've to keep clicking over and over again instead of just making 10 with 1 click.

There is no real crafting. It's just cooking and it's very, very basic. The only problem with it is you can only make 1 at a time so you've to keep clicking over and over again instead of just making 10 with 1 click.

It's worse than that. First you go to your inventory, then you manually place the ingredients in Link's hands. Then you exit the inventory. Then you throw the objects into a bowl. Then an obnoxious jingle and animation plays, and though you can skip it, doing so doesn't save all that much time. Then you get another animation displaying what you made. And only then do you get your potion.

Oh, you want another potion? **** you, do it all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Don't let that put you off. Its a tiny tiny proportion of the game. Like over 50 hours, maybe 10 minutes. You actually only need to do it to progress once or twice.

First game I ever played was Operation Wolf in 1988, been gaming consistently ever since and BOTW is the best game I've ever played.

Id give anything to have not played it and be playing it for the first time tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I'm the same. Hate crafting with a passion. By Christ it's dull.
    As others have said though you don't really need to do it in BotW. I'd say I only did it a handful of times and most of them were probably me trying to convince myself I might get into it if I just tried it again.

Advertisement