Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The most annoying mechanic in BOTW for me was the fact that all weapons (bar one) and shields (bar one) had limited lifespans.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah I can't abide Survival games generally, finding them antithetical to all things that make video games fun, but BOTW couldn't be classed as survival. At least not in the sense we typically know the genre. There's none of this hunger or thirst nonsense, the cooking is entirely optional, as is the ingredient collection. The closest it gets IMO is "environmental survivalism": There are hot and cold climates, rainfall that causes slippery wet surfaces preventing climbing mountains but the former is solved by clothing, the latter is annoying but adds definite spice to navigation.

The weapon degradation is ... controversial. Some like it, some hate it. I kinda like the idea, but find the time it takes your weapons to break too short. It forces exploration and improvisation but nothing ever lasted long enough to prevent a niggle of irritation. I'd hope the sequel tweaks the formula a little

Is a "fun" game the only good game?

(This thread is just flying off topic!) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Playing a lot of Super Mario Bros 2 on the G&W ... "The Lost Levels"

It's frickin hard, but I never played it before so it's like reliving 1988 and my first SMB experience... just with less Reagan

mrcheez wrote: »
    Playing a lot of Super Mario Bros 2 on the G&W ... "The Lost Levels"

It's frickin hard, but I never played it before so it's like reliving 1988 and my first SMB experience... just with less Reagan

That's a great game, even if it's Doku Doku Panic, or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That's a great game, even if it's Doku Doku Panic, or whatever.

Lost Levels was Super Mario Bros 2 in Japan.
    Doki Doki Panic was Super Mario Bros 2 here and in the US

Speaking of which... SMB 2 (the Doki Doki Panic version) is one I never actually played... wasn't a fan of the "floaty" jumping. Must stick on the NES Classic and complete it!

Speaking of which... SMB 2 (the Doki Doki Panic version) is one I never actually played... wasn't a fan of the "floaty" jumping. Must stick on the NES Classic and complete it!

It's not a typical Mario game (for obvious reasons), but young me had fun playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭nedd

Might be a controversial view, but I just can't get into any FF game. Put some hours into FF 12 on switch and can't deal with the combat.

I started Golf Story last night and so far so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Wasn't a big fan of FF12 combat - put a good bit into the game and then got to that Fortress where you had to keep climbing for ages, and got wiped out by a bunch of poison enemies and got push back an hour or so, and I was done.

I have rose tinted glasses for 7 through X/X-2. :)

• Advertisement

chrislad wrote: »
    Wasn't a big fan of FF12 combat - put a good bit into the game and then got to that Fortress where you had to keep climbing for ages, and got wiped out by a bunch of poison enemies and got push back an hour or so, and I was done.

VII is a classic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Golf Story is so good, such an underrated RPG and golf game, but I never finished it cos IIRC the final course was balls hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭nedd

chrislad wrote: »

I never played a FF game in my youth so trying them over the last 10 years. Turn based combat is one of my major hate points in games. South Park games were ok because it was fun and Paper Mario was different but in general I detest turn based games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

pixelburp wrote: »
    Golf Story is so good, such an underrated RPG and golf game, but I never finished it cos IIRC the final course was balls hard.

There's a new game coming out by the same people this year, Sports Story it's called. Can't wait :)

The final course is hard but it's more a finesse thing that comes with practice rather than an arsehole of a course like the haunted one.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Finished Rogue Heroes: Ruins of Tasos recently. Great Link To The Past homage. It has a fixed overworld, but randomly generated dungeons.
    Lots and lots of upgrade trees and power ups, so you feel like you're making progress every run.

Totally recommend it but with some caveats -
    The first two dungeons took a good few attempts to get through.
    By the time I was finished the second dungeon, I was so OP that I finished the third and fourth on my first attempt each.
    I also beat the final boss on my first attempt too.

So I think there are balancing issues.

It supports up to 4 players (local and online) but I played solo.
    Multiplayer is supposed to be great though.

There are also 3 optional dungeons that are not accessible yet - they should be opened in future patches.

Worth adding to wishlists though. Maybe grab it in the Summer sale after the next few patches.

First game that I rolled credits on this year, so it did something right. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Gave Apex a whirl. Love it on the Xbox but this is a port too far for the Switch and probably the best argument I've seen yet for a Switch Pro.

The heart is willing but the Tegra is weak.

Gave Apex a whirl. Love it on the Xbox but this is a port too far for the Switch and probably the best argument I've seen yet for a Switch Pro.

I thought The Witcher 3 port was pretty bad. The Outer Worlds didn't look great either, though I did enjoy the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

The Outer Worlds didn't look great either, though I did enjoy the game.

I played Outer Worlds before that big patch and while moving, it looked like re-heated poo. The core game was a lot of fun, I just had to put visual blinkers on to enjoy it. It felt very easy though, maybe I went in expecting Fallout 3/NV, bolstered myself for that level of challenge and came away wanting.

My copy of Bowser's Fury is en route, hopefully that can clear my gaming funk.

Rhyme wrote: »
    I played Outer Worlds before that big patch and while moving, it looked like re-heated poo. The core game was a lot of fun, I just had to put visual blinkers on to enjoy it. It felt very easy though, maybe I went in expecting Fallout 3/NV, bolstered myself for that level of challenge and came away wanting.

My copy of Bowser's Fury is en route, hopefully that can clear my gaming funk.

It is very easy, but I was ok with that. I just wanted to roleplay. Plus there are more difficult settings I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Twilight Princess. Only a few hours in but enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'm well over 1000 hours into Asphalt 9. Its pretty much the only game I've played in months.
    I've never spent that many hours on a game before in my life. I got about 150-200 out of BOTW and over 100 on CoD: Black Ops.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I'm well over 1000 hours into Asphalt 9.

Some of those driving games are surprisingly addictive.

I recall one year I exclusively played Split/Second on my Xbox 360... couldn't get enough of it.

I got so good I was in the top 3 in the world :D

It's actually the reason I don't play multiplayer games any longer... too much of a time sink

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I recall one year I exclusively played Split/Second on my Xbox 360... couldn't get enough of it.

It's actually the reason I don't play multiplayer games any longer... too much of a time sink

Ah stop! I actually had to cut down coz I was obsessed with the game. Not top 3 but maybe top 500. I'd usually manage top 2500 now, but ye I've always like the non-simulation arcade racers. If there's a boost, car upgrades or u can knock down other players then usually it's for me! I love the NFS Underground series for example.
    Although I don't like the "Pay to win" element of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

I downloaded Apex also and find the tight battles almost impossible. I'm having issues with the audio for group chats also and the game keeps crashing - hopefully there will be a few fixes over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I gave it a go, and it just wasn't for me. Not a big FPS fan, and while it seemed to play fine on handheld, I don't have a point of comparison with Xbox/PS so it looked fine to be. The usual Switch fare. For something I wasn't mad about, 30+ gig is a lot to give up though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Still playing a link between worlds. One and a bit dungeons to finish then lorule castle I think. In the dark palace and a bit stuck. Hmmm. Time to take a break.

(edit)
    Into Lorule Castle now! This game gets better and better. Will leave this for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I absolutely loved that game. Spend huge hours on it trying to shave seconds off my time. What I wouldn't give for a proper PS5 sequel to it. Sadly the studio were closed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I thought The Witcher 3 port was pretty bad. The Outer Worlds didn't look great either, though I did enjoy the game.

I'm quite happy with Witcher 3, since I don't have any other way of playing or comparison, what I don't know doesn't hurt me. It looks fine to me, haven't got around to Outer World's yet, but same applies.

Currently switching playing between Golf Story and Witcher 3.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I'm quite happy with Witcher 3, since I don't have any other way of playing or comparison, what I don't know doesn't hurt me. It looks fine to me, haven't got around to Outer World's yet, but same applies.

The Witcher looks... greasy. Like someone smeared vaseline on the screen. Frame rate drops are common, assets pop in and out of existence, and there's other weird graphical things going on.

If you don't notice it you're better off. I recommend The Outer Worlds if you like the Fallout series.

• Advertisement

The Witcher looks... greasy. Like someone smeared vaseline on the screen. Frame rate drops are common, assets pop in and out of existence, and there's other weird graphical things going on.

If you don't notice it you're better off. I recommend The Outer Worlds if you like the Fallout series.

unusually for a swtich game with the later patches the Witcher has graphical settings so you can play around with those a bit.

e.g. turning off motion blur and blur coupled with turning up sharpening should get rid of the greasy affect

Advertisement