Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

glasso wrote: »
    unusually for a swtich game with the later patches the Witcher has graphical settings so you can play around with those a bit.

e.g. turning off motion blur and blur coupled with turning up sharpening should get rid of the greasy affect

Oh right, I didn't know that. Thanks, I'll give it a go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I lasted about a couple of hours on Witcher 3. Played like controlling a boat and the combat was beyond tedious. The UI was horrible. The world seemed intricate but BOTW reinforced just how shonky typical open world games are. Barely felt any different from the days of Witcher 1, and that sense of EuroJank

pixelburp wrote: »
    I lasted about a couple of hours on Witcher 3. Played like controlling a boat and the combat was beyond tedious. The UI was horrible. The world seemed intricate but BOTW reinforced just how shonky typical open world games are. Barely felt any different from the days of Witcher 1, and that sense of EuroJank

Yeah, I don't get the fanfare over it. But I bought it so I might as well give it more time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

After all the jolly banter on here about BOTW of late, I picked it up again to wrap up the Champions Ballad DLC. Three of four quests down now. Just finished Daruk's quest shrines and it was literally impossible to do the gyro part in one of them undocked. Had to dock it and use Pro Controller and was a struggle even then. Please Nintendo, do not incorporate any more gyro ****e in games. It does have its uses though, I find the gyro aiming quite good in Splatoon once you get the hang of it but just not for precise dungeon bits please.

Yeah, I don't get the fanfare over it. But I bought it so I might as well give it more time?

the advice usually seems to be to give it more hours than a normal game to get into it

takes 7 to 10 hours

also read maybe a getting started guide. get levelled up to level 10 asap

eventually it's more about the story so change difficulty down or up on game as needed

• Advertisement

the advice usually seems to be to give it more hours than a normal game to get into it

takes 7 to 10 hours

also read maybe a getting started guide. get levelled up to level 10 asap

eventually it's more about the story so change difficulty down or up on game as needed

Thanks. I'm waiting for a train or plane journey to give it another crack. I'll be waiting a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Just finished A Link Between Worlds on 2DS XL. 21 hours. 16 euro Nintendo select. Brilliant. Loved it all. No complaints. They just got this one just right. This, is up there with Breath of the Wild and Ocarina of time for me as games I really enjoyed the whole way through without getting stuck, bored or frustrated. They just get better the more you progress. 10/10. Other Zeldas I've played going WAY down in my rankings.

Played some Wario Ware Gold and Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga on 2DS XL..

WTF :)

Glad I didn't spend much on these.

Wario looks different. Might be some fun in there.

M&L was a cheap way to reconfirm I don't like turn based "RPG"s. But it's like a poor mobile phone game. Maybe it'll grow on me.

But I have better things to waste my time on at the moment. Like sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

YoshiSays wrote: »
    Played some Wario Ware Gold and Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga on 2DS XL..

WTF :)

Glad I didn't spend much on these.

Wario looks different. Might be some fun in there.

M&L was a cheap way to reconfirm I don't like turn based "RPG"s. But it's like a poor mobile phone game. Maybe it'll grow on me.

But I have better things to waste my time on at the moment. Like sleep!

Haven't played Wario Ware since I got the original Nintendo DS (the grey one)... was amazing back then, so I must check out the latest.

I was always considering making a VR version of a Wario Ware-type game where you would physically have to perform all these various actions.

e.g. Scene one: use a putter to get the ball in the hole
    Scene two: punch the clown in the face
    Scene three: dodge incoming missiles by physically ducking
    etc etc

No time unfortunately... could be a million-selling idea on the Quest 2 :D

mrcheez wrote: »
    Haven't played Wario Ware since I got the original Nintendo DS (the grey one)... was amazing back then, so I must check out the latest.

I was always considering making a VR version of a Wario Ware-type game where you would physically have to perform all these various actions.

e.g. Scene one: use a putter to get the ball in the hole
    Scene two: punch the clown in the face
    Scene three: dodge incoming missiles by physically ducking
    etc etc

No time unfortunately... could be a million-selling idea on the Quest 2 :D

Wario Ware Gold 3DS goes from 10 euro to 30+ euro on the Amazon sites new. I got it for about a 10 euro new from Amazon UK. Really don't spend much on it, if you do buy it.

• Advertisement

Have a boxed + manual complete Warioware Twisted for the GBA - has a gyro in the cartridge itself!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Have a boxed + manual complete Warioware Twisted for the GBA - has a gyro in the cartridge itself!

I have it and, somehow, the Japanese version too, it's great fun.
    However I can't help but find the extra dimension to the gameplay takes a little from the core of the series, certainly a move from the simple stupid but very entertaining GBA original.
    If you want to try something similar but more rhythm focused, go for the Rhythm Heaven games on Nintendo formats, from Rhythm Tengoku on the GBA and the Rhythm Heaven sequels there after.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Witcher 3 doesn't really get great until you get past the first 2 areas (and the first major questline).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Downloaded and played the Pikmin 3 demo this weekend, surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Might pick it up if I ever see it on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

awec wrote: »
    The Witcher 3 doesn't really get great until you get past the first 2 areas (and the first major questline).
    It kind of surprises me Witcher 3 didn't get more flack on release, given how unanimous the "give it 15-ish hours to get good" feedback seems to be. I'm really fond of the game but it really, really benefits from a level of patience I don't see often afforded other releases of its type.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Downloaded and played the Pikmin 3 demo this weekend, surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Might pick it up if I ever see it on sale.

I am obsessed with Pikmin :D I got Pikmin 3 deluxe, had already played it a few times on the Wii U. Played through it again on all difficulties and all the side quests and the missions. Then I dusted off the Wii U since Pikmin 1 and 2 are available on its e-shop.

unusually for a swtich game with the later patches the Witcher has graphical settings so you can play around with those a bit.

e.g. turning off motion blur and blur coupled with turning up sharpening should get rid of the greasy affect

I tried it. That looks a million times better! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Danny_DeVito

Playing through Sunshine and I’ve got 33 Shines so far, took some time to accept that the controls can’t be as good as Odyssey, and that all the gaming skill I’ve built up in the last couple of years has to be forgotten!

All the ‘Secret’ Shines are a pain in the... but beating them gives a lot of satisfaction! Spent an hour earlier farming for lives, so it’ll give me the chance to tackle the ‘Secret’ levels a bit in work tonight. Great game, never got far in it when it was originally released!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Danny_DeVito

awec wrote: »
    Luigi's Mansion is ok, I found it got a bit repetitive.

I’ll give it a whack soon, repetition has never really bored me though, a tad strange like that. Then after that I’ll tackle Stick of Truth!
    YoshiSays wrote: »
    Just finished A Link Between Worlds on 2DS XL. 21 hours. 16 euro Nintendo select. Brilliant. Loved it all. No complaints. They just got this one just right. This, is up there with Breath of the Wild and Ocarina of time for me as games I really enjoyed the whole way through without getting stuck, bored or frustrated. They just get better the more you progress. 10/10. Other Zeldas I've played going WAY down in my rankings.

It’s literally perfect, I couldn’t believe how much I enjoyed it when I played it, at the time I had forgotten how good 2D Zelda’s were! Up there with Ocarina for me too =]

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Link Between Worlds is a fantastic game - This is what confuses me about Nintendo the most - That's perfect for a Switch release. Doesn't even really need remastering, perhaps a resolution bump - I really want the Switch to become the de facto Nintendo Machine. I want to be able to play all versions of Mario/Zelda/Metroid games - basically the Nintendo only franchises.

Mario has gotten a good shake - We have Super Mario 1, 2, 3, World, Yoshis Island, Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, Mario Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros U + Luigi U, Mario Maker 2, and Mario Odyssey. Just need Galaxy 2 for the most part, and you have a very comprehensive catalog of Mario games.

Zelda - We have Zelda 1, 2, Link to the Past, Links Awakening, and Breath of the Wild, with Skyward Sword on the way. We're missing the GB games, Minish Cap, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess (those two I can't explain, given they are Wii U games already), Majoras Mask, and Ocarina of Time. There's way more mainstream games missing.

Metroid - totally shafted. We have Super Metroid and Metroid via the Virtual Console, but that's about it. No GBA games, no 3DS remake from a few years ago, no Metroid Prime Trilogy or Other M. I know they may come with Metroid 4, or in that window, but it's very under represented IP. I would love to give the likes of Metroid Fusion a replay without having to emulate it illegally, or hunt down a console I will rarely use.

*exhale*

• Advertisement

Nintendo are missing a trick with Metroid. Female protagonist and video games and gaming crying out for female leads. A ton of new Nintendo converts on Switch. I think they could create an amazing Metroid with the BOTW engine + the Zelda design/dev team. Anyway... let's see what Retro come up with ... eventually ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The fans want it but the greater Nintendo game buying public just aren't as interested.
    Metroid has never been a huge seller.
    Might as well be asking for a Billy Hatcher sequel!
    But at least we know that a Prime 4 game is on the way... eventually...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The fans want it but the greater Nintendo game buying public just aren't as interested.
    Metroid has never been a huge seller.

Prime 1 was a game to open up the fanbase, really generate a lot of interest but the relative unpopularity of the Gamecube compared to other consoles of the time hamstrung the release. Prime 2 with it's ammunition system and health-sucking dark world turned a lot of people off and Prime 3 was fine... a good game.

It's a shame really, I liked all the Prime games and the first one set the series up for a home-run, the 2nd and 3rd games fumbled into 'really good' games rather than great ones. I think if they released the Prime trilogy on Switch now, the buzz for 4 would magnify, not just old fans but new ones too.

It's some crazy level of corrupt-a-wish that the Metroid on the Wii that Nintendo really got behind was Other M, of all things.

On topic, while I'm here, I have spent 100s on games in the last few months and yesterday I decided, **** it, I will play Breath of the Wild again. Forgot how unforgiving the early game can be, even for someone coming off a 100% complete profile. Running a stamina-focused build for a change of pace and it is hilarious/tragic how quickly even the most considered plans fall apart. Cleared out 95% of a camp only to get tipped off the side and died immediately from fall-damage. Sure, you love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Started playing Sonic Racing All-Stars Transformed again after 5 years on the WiiU. Started fresh.

Man its such a great arcade racer. It really needs a port to the Switch. The Music is amazing too.

Why oh why did they do a 'Tag team racing' sonic game instead of a sequel to this? Its gold.

Started playing Sonic Racing All-Stars Transformed again after 5 years on the WiiU. Started fresh.

Man its such a great arcade racer. It really needs a port to the Switch. The Music is amazing too.

Why oh why did they do a 'Tag team racing' sonic game instead of a sequel to this? Its gold.
    Given their general direction the 8 or so years, I imagine it came from the same brain trust that decided Lost Worlds and then Sonic Boom were the appropriate responses to the goodwill generated with Sonic Colours and, to a lesser extent, Generations. I've come to the conclusion that Sega's pitch-room for Sonic is just a drunk dude with a bingo cage.

Bowser's Fury. Feels like a bit of a hodge podge and nothing new coming from the 3d land/world games. But still a lot of fun.

Chasing across a lake after a bunny rabbit, dressed up as a cat, on the back of a diving, jumping dinosaur, with the most irritating/catchiest tune ever, and effortlessly pulling it off. Bravo.

WTF are they smoking at Nintendo. :):):)

I don't realise that you could press the trigger button when cat mario and mario crouches and wiggles his hips like a cat about to pounce. Game of the year. :)

I love 3D World. Even though I've played it before, it stills plays like magic. It's just so polished. It has to be played at 60 FPS, so if your not playing it docked, you are missing out. Love picking up the stamps and seeing what you get at the end of each level. Really, the art on display here is just wonderful.

I'd love to see Starfox Zero make the jump to the Switch.
    I enjoyed my time with that game, despite the idiosyncratic controls that were, at times, just broken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

currently playing Mario Maker on my WiiU in a desperate attempt to download as many levels as I can before servers are offline at end of the month!

Advertisement