Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

mrcheez wrote: »
    currently playing Mario Maker on my WiiU in a desperate attempt to download as many levels as I can before servers are offline at end of the month!

Why can't Nintendo just make these read only forever ? Would cost nothing to serve these up. This makes no sense. Makes you wonder how long Mario Maker 2 levels will be valid for or even game updates/patches. Meanwhile MS going the extra mile to salvage their back catalogue. FPS boosts, auto HDR, for free.

YoshiSays wrote: »
    Why can't Nintendo just make these read only forever ? Would cost nothing to serve these up. This makes no sense. Makes you wonder how long Mario Maker 2 levels will be valid for or even game updates/patches. Meanwhile MS going the extra mile to salvage their back catalogue. FPS boosts, auto HDR, for free.

Nintendo don't care.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Wrapped up the 100 shines on Bowser's Fury this morning. I liked SM3DW but didn't love it (both first time around via CEMU and on Switch), but Bowser's Fury was just great and made me glad I bought it.

Next up for me is a return to Travis Strikes Back - it's alright rather than really good but I want to get through it so that I have a decent gap between finishing it and picking up NMH3 when it releases at the end of August. I'll tackle Mario Galaxy after that on the 3D Allstars collection, as BF has me thinking that more quality 3D Mario would be good.

Speaking of upcoming games, Stickfight: The Game is finally getting released on Switch on April first - price is £5.39 UK so I'm guessing €6-7. If the port is good it's definitely worth that, I have it on Steam and it's great craic for couch multiplayer. There is a mobile port with online multiplayer so hopefully the Switch version also has that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

Sat done for a quick go of Bowser's fury. Two hours later including some 3D world. Just brilliant. Glad I got this again + BF. It's worth it

I think 3D World it's better than before for me. Mario just moves faster. Plus I'm playing with headphones, pro controller and IPS monitor with zero distractions this time. Zen mode. Sounds and looks wonderful. Last time it was juggling Wii U bits n pieces + a crappy old TV etc

BF is full of surprises. It's really grown on me. Had a few wow moment in it, which you don't get often these days.
    And I love that we've got a new proper full on great soundtrack too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Is anyone else losing sleep over the fact Twilight Princess HD hasn't been released on the Switch?

What? Y'all have real issues? I'm trying to get into it again on the Wii U, mostly in handheld mode, and my immediate sentiments are just wishing I could play it on the Switch. Though it might just answer me better to accept there might be some Zelda games I just can't get on with it.

I know, I know - I'll trundle on to the end with this one only for Twilight and WW to get bundled into some sort of 35th Anniversary bumper release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Is anyone else losing sleep over the fact Twilight Princess HD hasn't been released on the Switch?

What? Y'all have real issues? I'm trying to get into it again on the Wii U, mostly in handheld mode, and my immediate sentiments are just wishing I could play it on the Switch. Though it might just answer me better to accept there might be some Zelda games I just can't get on with it.

I know, I know - I'll trundle on to the end with this one only for Twilight and WW to get bundled into some sort of 35th Anniversary bumper release.

Literally just ranted on this a page ago! Hopefully the 35th Anniversary will offer some news, though not until after Skyward Sword I fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

chrislad wrote: »
    though not until after Skyward Sword I fear.
    I almost respect that Skyward Sword is coming up with new ways to disappoint and frustrate me.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BuyersRemorse

I picked up Mario Tennis Aces last week, as I fancied a new arcade style game with online, as I was getting sick of being beaten in every Mario Kart 8 race.

It's great - I'm now getting beaten in every online tennis match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

After watching the Snyder Cut at the weekend (which I loved), I started Injustice on WiiU. Great fighter.

I see there is a sequel. Anyone played it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I'm back to Travis Strikes Again, and I'm definitely glad I was given it as a present because it is one tedious game at times (so far I'm finding that 2 of the 3 levels are feeling padded and dragged out, which for a game that's generally estimated at around 14 hours to complete is not a great sign). I like the idea of what it's trying to do, but there is way too much jank in here and, disappointingly, what it's doing is tanking my enthusiasm for NMH3 in August :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Have really gotten into xcom2 the last few days. So much so that I feel (almost) guilty for snapping it from Russia for 9 quid.

I've already gotten way more value from this so far than some of the other games I've picked up this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Grassey wrote: »
    Have really gotten into xcom2 the last few days. So much so that I feel (almost) guilty for snapping it from Russia for 9 quid.

I've already gotten way more value from this so far than some of the other games I've picked up this year.

Huh, didn't even know this was on the Switch. Score. How does this perform as ports go? It's the latest Unreal engine, or one step back IIRC.

It's good, a few random slow downs in handheld on enemy turns, but aside from that can't fault it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just spent about an hour with Republic Commando on the Switch
    I was playing it docked.
    Man, the visuals have dated, as has the gameplay, and don't get me started on the controls.
    I understand this is a 18 year old game, but there was little or no effort put into polishing the controls at least.
    The fps has evolved so much over the near two decades since this came out and I am not looking for a whole new game, but they could have done something with the controls.
    Visually, it's basically the old Xbox game.
    I know they say this is a remaster but I'd be hard pressed to say how.
    The best thing they've done is the ability to remap the buttons, but the zoom on your weapons is awful and generally it all feels janky
    I played and finished this the first time around, I have a copy still for my Xbox, I had high hopes but am disappointed.
    Maybe others with lower expectations will have more fun...

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I was playing it docked.
    Man, the visuals have dated, as has the gameplay, and don't get me started on the controls.
    I understand this is a 18 year old game, but there was little or no effort put into polishing the controls at least.
    The fps has evolved so much over the near two decades since this came out and I am not looking for a whole new game, but they could have done something with the controls.
    The best thing they've done is the ability to remap the buttons, but the zoom on your weapons is awful and generally it all feels janky
    I played and finished this the first time around, I have a copy still for my Xbox, I had high hopes but am disappointed.

I used to love Star Wars, but for some reason, I never played this one (may have swapped to a PS2 at the time, and it was an Xbox exclusive as I recall)

Playing it now - it's not too bad (but I'm not a big FPS player so some of the upgrades in the past 20 years might be lost on me)

My main concerns are the loose targeting, and fast enemies, who seem to be bullet sponges. I know they are predecessors for stormtroopers, but damn, they're supposed to be good versions, yet that aim is horrendous!

So far, I'm about 5 missions it. It's decent, but definitely one more for the fans than a FPS enthusiast. It's just a sign of progress - I used to LOVE Jedi Knight 2 on the PC years ago, and I couldn't get into it at all on the Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Hhmmm. I was considering picking this up once I finished a couple of things I'm currently playing. How does it compare to the Rogue Trooper Redux release , if you played it? I loved that and have no concerns about an older style of game, but if it's as clunky as you're saying....

I was playing it docked.

Xofpod wrote: »
    Hhmmm. I was considering picking this up once I finished a couple of things I'm currently playing. How does it compare to the Rogue Trooper Redux release , if you played it? I loved that and have no concerns about an older style of game, but if it's as clunky as you're saying....

Ah, it's not as clunky as Rogue Trooper. Rogue Trooper was a game I really wanted to play at the time, and didn't get to, and when I got the Switch release, it could never compare to what I thought it would be!

For 15quid, it's worth a go, but I suspect it will drop in a few weeks so unless you're planning to go for it now, then hold off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Xofpod wrote: »

I liked Rogue Trooper and finished it when released but found the Redux to just feel the same, though time had moved on in the genre.
    The clunky sense, yeah, that's there, but maybe it won't have the spoiling effect it had on my enjoyment.
    It is still a decent Star Wars game, and from the Clones point of view, and it gets better as it goes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

chrislad wrote: »
    Ah, it's not as clunky as Rogue Trooper. Rogue Trooper was a game I really wanted to play at the time, and didn't get to, and when I got the Switch release, it could never compare to what I thought it would be!

For 15quid, it's worth a go, but I suspect it will drop in a few weeks so unless you're planning to go for it now, then hold off.

Good call I reckon. I experienced Rogue Trooper the other way around - thought it was fairly unplayable on the Wii, picked it up for around €2 on the Switch and loved it beyond all expectation. Will bump the Star Wars game to the bargain hunting pile and if I come across it cheap, will play with limited expectations and see how it goes.

Picked up Doom eternal the other day, it seems way harder than Doom. Maybe I'm just out of practice. Getting hockied and only on the 3rd level!

• Advertisement

Grassey wrote: »
    Picked up Doom eternal the other day, it seems way harder than Doom. Maybe I'm just out of practice. Getting hockied and only on the 3rd level!

great achievement to get that running well on the switch but that is really much more of a M + K game than Doom 2016.

go down to an easier difficultly is the only answer really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YoshiReturns

glasso wrote: »
    great achievement to get that running well on the switch but that is really much more of a M + K game than Doom 2016.

go down to an easier difficultly is the only answer really!

Yep, tried to play this on Xbox and got murdered in 4K 60FPS. Free on Gamepass :) it's a pity the console versions don't support keyboard and mouse.

Yep, tried to play this on Xbox and got murdered in 4K 60FPS. Free on Gamepass :) it's a pity the console versions don't support keyboard and mouse.

I have it on Stadia, and it's bloody hard, much harder than Doom (2016) which I have on PS4, Switch and Stadia

I have it on Stadia, and it's bloody hard, much harder than Doom (2016) which I have on PS4, Switch and Stadia

I'm not a Doom or FPS fan at all, so a lot of XBox stuff is wasted on me. I did however go back to the original Doom and I found it way more fun than Doom Eternal.

I remember when it first came out I'd just started a proper job and someone played it on a suitable PC in the office and jaws hit the floor. And then you could also play it over the network. And it was free. Changed everything.

Doom Eternal is so fast

Maybe some 15 year-old freak could manage well on a console controller but to have a chance you really need to be keyboard and mouse

Joycons aren't going to cut it anyways

glasso wrote: »
    Doom Eternal is so fast

Maybe some 15 year-old freak could manage well on a console controller but to have a chance you need to be keyboard and mouse

RDR2/GTA5
    Press button to select enemy.
    Press button to shoot enemy.
    Move cursor up for head shot.
    100m ++ sales

That's a much as I can manage.
    Works great when on horseback to be honest .,.

glasso wrote:

... Unless combined with infinite lives and/or ammo...

I remember Doom the first time around, spectacular stuff, but then I was I impressed with Wolfenstein 3D on an IBM as well!
    But my son had a blast on Doom eternal

Pinkman+

an inexpensive minimal little platform game with 100 short levels

a little bit like an 8-bit Super Meat Boy with a slightly different mechanic

controls are tight and consistent which is crucial for this type of game

levels are short but also have checkpoints in them so won't drive you as mad as other similar games

recommended

• Advertisement

super-quick sub 2-minute review on the above

as he says, the checkpoints make this game much more accessible to people who mightn't like this genre normally

Advertisement