Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's been linked before, but it is worth repeating, these games are pure gems, and pure cheap!
    I bring them up because of the previously linked titles.
    These allow you to mark your own checkpoints, in play... and you'll need them.

Love and Kuso, both by Fred Wood
    The music is sublime too!

Love

Kuso

ok here's another one that costs feck all (couple or 3 euro)

Charge Kid

genuinely innovative

a combination of precision execution insta-restart checkpoint platformer and brain bender and often both at the same time

I got it today and am on level 16 with no cheating / help

challenge to do the same!

in comparison to something like Love or Kuso - Charge Kid is a completely different kettle of fish

no mindless simple platforming - way shorter levels - but pure innovation on each subsequent level - quite unique. no fat here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Xofpod wrote: »
    Good call I reckon. I experienced Rogue Trooper the other way around - thought it was fairly unplayable on the Wii, picked it up for around €2 on the Switch and loved it beyond all expectation. Will bump the Star Wars game to the bargain hunting pile and if I come across it cheap, will play with limited expectations and see how it goes.

I'm actually about 5 missions in, and it's really started to click and become a lot more enjoyable, now that I have more than the two weapons - I can see things that wouldn't be done now (Like having heal stations everywhere - it's easier to just have regenerating health/shield!)

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭tbahh

Got Crash 4 yesterday and enjoying it thus far. Had to go down amazon.com route as no planned physical release in Europe. It's actually really hard in places from the beginning, which I concurrently like and detest!

Got it on 3for2 offer with the new Plants Vs Zombies and A Hat in Time. I'm sure I'll play them... one day.

• Advertisement

tbahh wrote: »
    Got Crash 4 yesterday and enjoying it thus far. Had to go down amazon.com route as no planned physical release in Europe. It's actually really hard in places from the beginning, which I concurrently like and detest!

Got it on 3for2 offer with the new Plants Vs Zombies and A Hat in Time. I'm sure I'll play them... one day.

now that's an actual decent 3D platformer, if anyone who was considering that terrible Balan Wonderland abomination hasn't played A Hat in Time then for their own sake please pick that up instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

With a similar *reasonably* simple platforming concept, similar 8bit graphic style to Love and Kuso, albeit chunker graphics, more akin to the games of that era... A much older game, but absolute gold is:

VVVVVV

Video says "Coming November"... but that's from 2017.

Played it on the 3DS and on PC. The music is fantastic, and the game is by turns frustrating and revelatory in the genius things it does with the move set being only left, right, and invert gravity...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

^^ and is also the creation of that rarest of pearls; an Irish game developer (Terry Cavanagh). Rarer still in being from my part of the world (Monaghan)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Such a great game, as well as home grown, with Terry Cavanagh being a man from this parish.
    Dicey Dungeons is a cracking game that is out now on Switch, a turn based card battle game.
    But it is all sorts of a tragedy that Super Hexagon hasn't made it's way to the Switch yet.
    I had it running, for a while, on my arcade cab and it looked and sounded AMAZING!

VVVVVV is good - found it not that difficult actually (except for that one small part designed to be fairly deliberately insane).

recommend Charge Kid - the first 16 levels are fun.

the last one level 17 is just too much for me.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    ^^ and is also the creation of that rarest of pearls; an Irish game developer (Terry Cavanagh). Rarer still in being from my part of the world (Monaghan)

Chipzel, who does his music, is from Strabane and her tunes are fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭nedd

I'm looking for a recommendation if people have one. I want something I can sink my teeth into, so something fairly big (doesnt need to be 100 hours).
    What I like: AAA titles, action, RPGs,

What I don't like: Turn Based anything.

I have played all the usuals, Zelda, Skyrim, Witcher, Mario...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not too long but the Bayonetta games have plenty of action

Astral Chain is pretty cool, by the makers of Bayonetta, and looks amazing.
    The Doom franchise is something worth jumping into.
    Not only in terms of the sublime Doom (2016) and the tougher Doom Eternal, but also the likes of original two titles.
    Doom3 is pretty great on the Switch as well, with a very different playstyle, and lots of content.

Hades is well worth your time as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I have downloaded Gnosia, seeing as I spend a good amount of time in the Werewolf forum here. Hopefully it lives up to expectations.

nedd wrote: »
    I'm looking for a recommendation if people have one. I want something I can sink my teeth into, so something fairly big (doesnt need to be 100 hours).
    What I like: AAA titles, action, RPGs,

What I don't like: Turn Based anything.

I have played all the usuals, Zelda, Skyrim, Witcher, Mario...

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice?

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice?

that's only a 7 hour game though (average completion time).

OP was looking for something more substantial from what he wrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Dragon Quest XI?

glasso wrote: »
    that's only a 7 hour game though (average completion time).

OP was looking for something more substantial from what he wrote.

Ok, how about the Assassin's Creed titles?

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Dragon Quest XI?

turn-based....

Haven't played them but I guess the Xenoblade games fall into the category

Thanks for the quick replies. Couple of options there:

Bayonette 2 - Have this, didnt start it yet. Will give it a go.
    Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - Played it, loved it.
    Xenoblade - Gave this a go and it is auto fight. Didn't like that. I tried Dragon Age on PS as well and the same, auto fight. Same with FFXII.
    Astral Chain - I will look into it now
    Doom - I haven't played any of them in years so will take a look at Doom (2016) or Eternal
    Dragons Dogma - Looks Skyrimmy. Will have to try it out.
    Assassin's Creed - Have played a few on Switch and PS. great games.

Thanks again for the suggestions. This is exactly what I was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Immortals Fenyx Rising worth a go if you liked Zelda. It (obviously) doesn't measure up to BOTW but steals most of the game dynamics and is a good bit of fun. I've causally put about 45-50 hours in, could finish in another 10 or you could draw it out if you wanted to go completionist

One other one, Control.
    I think it's a streaming game on the Switch
    I've no idea if it works well on the console, I'm playing it on the PS5 right now and it's fantastic

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    One other one, Control.
    I think it's a streaming game on the Switch
    I've no idea if it works well on the console, I'm playing it on the PS5 right now and it's fantastic

I know I'm off topic, but I got 100% of trophies including DLC trophies, I was liking it that much. And I'm not a trophy hunter.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I know I'm off topic, but I got 100% of trophies including DLC trophies, I was liking it that much. And I'm not a trophy hunter.

I'm loving it, it's feeding the spooky Silent Hill need in me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

Control is brilliant and if you have the ability to play alan wake and quantum break id recommend it as its all remedys own little gaming universe.

I think I went a bit nuts on my switch too early and condensed too many games in all at once as I havent picked it up in weeks and reverted back to series X for gaming :(

I have Control on PS Plus and started it last week. So far so good.

I started Bayonetta 2 last night. Action is good. But the over sexualisation of the characters and the sound track are so cheesy. I will stick with it thought as the gameplay is promising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

nedd wrote: »
    I have Control on PS Plus and started it last week. So far so good.

I started Bayonetta 2 last night. Action is good. But the over sexualisation of the characters and the sound track are so cheesy. I will stick with it thought as the gameplay is promising.

Yeah, it's an awkward game to have someone walk in on, but it's actually a great game, and worth sticking with. The story doesn't make a jot of sense, but it's fun!

Advertisement