Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just played through the Kirby demo. I'm sold. What a great game. I'll preorder it tonight.

Filmechanism

Doesn't look like much but gets the level just right for a puzzle game imo which is crucial and with a very clever mechanic.

Rewarding and not frustrating.

Great one to play a level or two at a time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Tempest 4000, it seems even better than the PS4/5 version, very cool

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Shame they didn't keep the VR...Jeff Minter's stuff leaves me in a dribbling mess when played in VR. Pure drugs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Maybe they'll include a Labo mode later, not sure though, Minter seldom makes major changes to his games once they are out there.

I've most of the content from them over recent years, and most of it causes my retinas to hurt

• Advertisement

He actually had a VR mode built in when it was a protype on Steam but Atari asked him to remove it bizarrely

Space Giraffe, such a pity it never made it off the 360, the audience there didn't appreciate it at all.

I used to own a Nuon and had Tempest 3000 on it, it was stunning and I regret ever selling it all on.

Atari have treated him very badly in recent years, especially over TxK.

I was surprised when Tempest 4000 was announced, apparently it is based on the TxK code that never got released.

• Advertisement

This game is seriously genius

The hard and hell levels get very interesting as you go on and with them making up 2/3's of the 200 plus levels there is plenty to get stuck into

30 to 40 levels per world and 6 worlds

On world 5 now with full completion so far and there has been zero noticeable repetition or frustration (have used the built-in hint system only a few times)

No wonder it's so highly rated

Getting back into Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus....it's remarkable how well this looks and plays on my Switch Lite. Add Bluetooth headphones and I'm thoroughly immersed in the world.

The gyro aiming is actually really good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Gone back to OOT, first dungeon done. Camera is infuriating

Yeah - just can't handle "no-right stick camera" controls in 3D games these days.

Needs to be added in

This pc-port version (legal as reverse-engineered) already has it.

you have to compile it yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swv1Tv-kjsU&feature=emb_logo

Along with ->

20, 30, 60, 120, and 240 FPS support (defaults to original bug free 20 FPS, press F7 to decrease FPS, F8 to increase)

Right joystick free camera control (can be disabled)

Ability to load high resolution GLideN64 texture packs such as oot-reloaded.

The ability to assign equipment (boots, tunic, etc) to C-Buttons.

The ability to assign equipment (boots, tunic, etc) to keyboard keys and gamepad buttons.

Using B/Attack to execute the currently equiped C-Button equipment in first person mode (so you can fire the hookshot with either the C-Button or B).

Gryo aiming.

Controller rumble support.

Keyboard and mouse aiming support.

Fast text option (hold B during dialog).

Fast forward gameplay keybind.

Multilanguage supported (F9 to toggle). Currently supports English, German and French (more languages on the way!).

Pause menu keyboard/gamepad rebind screen.

Ability to disable the Owl prompts in config.json

Cheats in config.json

Ability to invert gryo, mouse, left stick, and right stick in config.json

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Picked up Pathway for €0.00 (90% off at €1.99, then the wallet had some coins + a gift card lol); a good wee roguelike with some fun turn-based combat, all wrapped in an Indiana Jones, golden-age of adventure aesthetic.

So far so good, though my two grumbles might be excessively small, pixel'y font - and as is often with these kinds of games, a really terrible learning curve and tutorial mechanics.

This game is so addictive

The continuous movement aspect really is unique and the power-up system which is dependent on killing a certain number of enemies is very moreish and crucial for progress

originally a mobile game it seems but works very well handheld

best control method is buttons on left joycon

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I had dipped into Super Mario 64 on the Switch a few weeks back, and I don't know if it's something about the emulation in the 3D All-Stars Collection or the JoyCons (or both?), but after a few hours I just sacked it off because it wasn't enough fun. It's not a game I have nostalgia for - I first played it on the Wii in 2010, so I'm well aware of its shortcomings by modern standards, but even so... the first time I had to grit my teeth through a few sections, but this time I just couldn't be arsed. Maybe it's because I've revisited Sunshine relatively recently, and despite being janky & unfinished that game still represents progress in terms of how a 3D Mario game can play? Or maybe just that I've been spoiled by Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Odyssey and Bowser's Fury since I last played SM64.

In any case, I sacked it off and doubt I'll ever go back to it again. But that did prompt me to check out the Super Mario Galaxy port, a game I am ashamed to say I've owned for the Wii for over a decade and yet not played more than 1-2 hours of before now. (And not even for any valid reason! I have a working Wii, and knew I was enjoying the game! It just somehow...got forgotten). I have been rectifying this since, and am reminded of a comment of @johnny_ultimate's from a while back, that the art design and gameplay of SMG is so damn good that you'd almost be forgiven for thinking that the port of SMG was a Switch-native game. It's tremendous fun, though I do find a few levels struggle in handheld mode as they were obviously not really designed around it.

I'll have to pick up a copy of SMG2 for the Wii once I'm done with this, then dump the disc so I can play it in Dolphin. I'm still surprised there's been no announcement about SMG2 becoming available on Switch, either as paid DLC for the 3D All Stars collection or as its own thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm in a similar boat to you - I respect SM64, but can't say I ever really had it on a pedestal - in fact, I think I really only first completed it when it was a DS launch title!!

I loved Mario Galaxy - missed it on the Wii, but the Switch version was excellent. That whole Mario collection was a mixed bag - SM64 wasn't fun any more, SMS had some great parts, but some awful difficulty spikes, where the only thing wrong with Galaxy is that Galaxy 2 wasn't included. As close to perfection in a Mario game as you can get.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

My replay of SM64 started as a play of the enhanced version on the DS, but I wasn't getting on with the controls (too much "handheld claw" happening for comfort). It's a pity the 3D All Stars collection didn't include a way to toggle between the two, but oh well.

I know what you mean about the collection - there's a bit of a 'one great game and two other, uh, games' feel to it. I forgive Sunshine a lot because I remember those bugs and jank being there from the first time around and its charms are enough to still win me over, but that's a total subjective thing and I'd struggle to recommend it without a caveat.

I'm into the post-game on SMG now, 24 stars left - some of the secret ones as well as the Prank and Purple comets. I'll most likely aim for the 120 stars but not sure I'll do the Luigi stars after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I need to replay it in hd on Switch, but I think SMG is the best Nintendo game, brilliantly designed for the wiimote. The soundtrack is my favourite game soundtrack of all time.

For me I would say that is honestly Odyssey - having played SM3DW and replayed Sunshine, (some of)SM64 and now SMG since I first played it, I keep seeing things that were drawn into Odyssey and distilled into their best form. Plus the soundtrack is an absolute belter - few things sum up that massive-grin-on-my-face feeling that the best Nintendo games can conjure up quite like Cascade Kingdom in Odyssey, where a soaring score is paired with fantastic scenery, and a level with an absolutely daft (but also brilliant) conceit.

And if that wasn't enough, the T-Rex gets a Mario moustache when you possess it with Cappy, because of course! Chef kiss in videogame form.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I wonder what they can do for the next 3D Mario.

Lot of scope, and all the tech already done for a Mario Odyssey 2. I'd say they've this sitting in the wings, and done for Switch 2.

Then the did the whole Bowser's Fury thing.

I'd say Switch 2 will come out blazing with Odyssey 2, BOTW 2, and Kart 9 announcements. And some new spin on 2D Mario. And our heads will melt 😁😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I was replaying Pokemon X but my switch lite arrived and now I'm playing Final Fantasy XII.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Started Souldiers last night. Lovely game and I'm enjoying it, but the load times are horrendous on Switch. It took a full minute to load the first large area. There is a longish wait when you die too.

I'm tempted to stop for a bit to see if it gets patched.

Playing Legend of Zelda on the G&W... Unbelievably I never really played it having not ever owned it (apart from a few short sessions at mates houses in the 80s). First Zelda I owned was LoZ 2.

Gotta admit it's kicking my ass so far. Not playing with a printed map so I'm making it hard on myself.

Does it matter if I tackle Dungeon 3 after Dungeon 1 rather than hitting them in order?

Reason being I couldn't find 2 :(

120 stars done on SMG and that's me done with it, I think - no interest in playing through 120 stars again as Luigi for the sake of a single extra level. I'll end up picking up SMG2 at some point, though I might leave it a while...

I'll probably go back and finish off Metroid Dread next.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Playing Bugsnax on my lads Switch. I have it on Xbox gamepass but it's perfect in handheld, winding down in the evening.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

iv never played a fire emblem game before.playing 3 hopes demo on switch.really enjoying it!

• Advertisement

"Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes" is a "warriors" spin-off game using the Fire Emblem "universe" in the same way that "Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity" is a warriors game set in the Zelda universe  but it's not a real Fire Emblem game at all in the traditional sense as "Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity " is not a traditional Zelda game at all.

Hence the "warriors" in both titles

Advertisement