Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

Flynn: Son of Crimson

it's good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm just after spending an hour with Sonic Origins, courtesy of the Japanese eshop.

I can say it's great fun, wide-screen looks great and that mode ditching lives makes it even more accessible.

The dlc makes little sense though, and the lack of screen modes is odd.

The only alternative is antialiasing and it looks pretty primitive, there were better modes in 90s emulators like Genecyst!

But it's a nice package, pity they didn't include the Gamegear/Master titles as well, not to mention Spinball, but there you go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm sure it's fine, but end of the day, it's like the 30th re-release of Sonic that doesn't exactly bring much to the table. As a collection, it's weak, ignoring the quality of the included games, and for the price, eh, no thanks. A full Sonic collection with all the Sonic games, even the maligned 3D ones, would be much more palatable, even if split into volumes/eras for separate releases.

Apparently what was done on PC was that all the previous cheap sonic options like buying the games singly for a fiverr on Steam were removed and now you can only buy the expensive underwhelming collection.

Hasn't gone down too well

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Finally reaching Ganon on Zelda first quest on Game & Watch and wouldn't you know I have no red potions left. Queue more battling Wizzrobe bastards endlessly to get the 68 coins to buy another potion and try to find my way through level 9 again...grrr. Should be done tomorrow though.

Have to say this game holds up so well today it must have exploded minds when it was released in '86.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Started TMNT Shredders Revenge over the weekend - great game, a lot of fun (even solo). Every level has secrets, collectables and challenges, and there are different moves (and endings) for each of the 7 playable characters. Plenty of replayability I think. I'll try it out with a group when I'm visiting family in a few weeks.

I'm also playing 8Doors: Arum's Afterlife. Very solid metroidvania with a lovely art style. Got it in the sale a few weeks ago. Stuck on the 3rd or 4th boss though (needs patience, which I don't have!)

Finally I'm a few hours into The Last Friend. Kind of a cross between a beat-em-up and Plants Vs. Zombies. It's very good (and it was well reviewed). Half price in the US sale at the moment.

Thought we couldn't buy from the US? (or is it just Playstation that has issues)

Not at all. Easy to do. You'll have to buy credit on sites like Eneba or PCGameSupply though. You can't use an Irish credit card.

Instructions here:

A couple of new games played recently.

Loud is an indie rhythm game. It has a charming style with nice cartoon graphics, voice acted cut scenes and some great rock music.

It's a bit light on content (just 14 tracks) but good fun to play and satisfying to get those S ranks. I only played the normal difficulty and finished the game in one sitting last night. There are 2 higher skill levels though, so there is replayability. Hopefully they have DLC plans! Really a good game for the current 40% discounted launch price of €7.19 (until Mid-August).

I've seen a few reviews of HunterX over the last week, and it's a good 8 or 9 out of 10. Good sized metroidvania with great graphics - a bit like Bloodstained Ritual of the Night. Big skill tree, lots of collectables, great soundtrack and satisfying combat. It has a nice steady stream of ability unlocks too. Currently €10.61 so it's brilliant value.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Picked up Scott Pilgrim and Panzer Dragon on sale, both combined for less than €7. Definitely worth it for a few hours retro game play. Scott Pilgrim scratches that Double Dragon/Streets of Rage itch I didn't know I had and Panzer is just a lovely throwback to old style games, with a fancy new coat of paint.

Also interesting to show the kids how games used to be....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Pity they won't bring the better Panzer Dragoon Zwei.

Too much work involved in bringing the RPG as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Decided to sit and finish Phoenix Wright Trials and Tribulations. Just started the last Episode now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

My first RPG in the form of Xenoblade Definitive Edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Great game. Finished it up last week. Epic story but some frustrating bosses and can get grindy in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,135 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Fire Emblem 3 houses chose the black eagles casual sided with Rhea and the Church am just at the post academy battle and discovered I have recruited way too many students as I have a roster of 19 including the staff to chosoe from it is going very badly with each try as I am getting killed off way too easily. 65 hours of play to this point and it took ages to recruit some of the students now I think I need to wipe the save and start again for the 20th plus time.

The game is amazing I always go black eagles think I might try blue lions this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Took a break from XCom 2 which I've been playing for 2-3 hours every day for the past month (and still only half-way through it) to give Bioshock 1 a go after I got the collection for €6. Totally wow-ed by how great it looks on the Switch! I've only played Bioshock 2 (on Xbox 360) and it's easily on par with that.

I really enjoyed the first and third one, particularly the contrast of visuals of both and the story line, great stuff and so damn cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

3rd one's a heartbreaker for me, should be a GOAT but continually **** the bed when left to its own devices. Greatest intro sequence ever, though. It's been great to see Bioshock 2 being quietly reappraised over the last few years — whatever its flaws or origins, it was a bit too readily dismissed when it was released as something sort of unwanted step-child and it's got a good bit going for it.

Thoth

For the pure masochism of it (and as a huge TSS fan)

• Advertisement

Thanks for that!

Looks great, love a twin stick shooter myself

They really need gyro aiming in this game though...I find myself moving the console around by instinct having gotten so used to it in Quake and Wolfenstein 2

Finished Islets (100%) over the weekend. Loved it. The islands magnet mechanic was very satisfying, it had memorable (but manageable) bosses and it was fun.

I abandoned Deaths Door about halfway through (over a year ago) because I got stuck on a fight in the Mushroom Dungeon. I'm back into that game now and got through that fight at long last.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Are you me? I just picked up Deaths Door again after being stuck on Mushroom Dungeon too! Getting through it smoothly enough now.

Good game but there's a bit too much tedious trekking around between respawn points and getting lost. Is there a map? I can't find one and it could really benefit from one

Lack of a map is the one downside of this game. You've no idea how long I was walking in circles, trying to find the last soul in the mushroom dungeon last night.

Iron Crypticle again.

Huge one-more-go factor and the combo-chain collection system to obtain stat upgrades is a brilliant risk-reward balance.

Finished Haiku the Robot over the last few days. Another brilliant Metroidvania. Along with Islets, it has been a great month for them.

Now playing something slightly different - Tinykin. I was a bit worried when I heard there were only 6 main levels in it, but they are absolutely bloody huge and stuffed with secrets and things to do. I'm still on the first level and not even close to finishing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Started this a few weeks back myself. Great little game

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Must give tinykin a go on Xbox GamePass

Playing New Super Mario Bros DS. Not anything much after having played the other New Mario games. Really the series was flogging a dead horse. But it's a bit like therapy for me.

Still waiting for a 2D Mario that shakes the series up again, like Rayman Legends or DKTF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I've put this down again because I'm a bit stuck. I have the second Giant Soul and think I'm ready to get the third, but I don't have the first. Did I miss something?

In other news I picked up Return to Monkey Island yesterday and it's great!

Advertisement