Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not sure! I jumped off Deaths Door when I got Islets, and I went from that to Haiku and Tinykin. I will get back to it eventually.

However, with Shovel Knight Dig, Tunic and Dorfromantik out before the end of the month (and Persona 5 Royal, Nier Automata, No Man Sky and Aeterna Noctis coming soon), it might be a while. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

I'm in a similar boat. On Return to Monkey Island now so probably won't pick up Deaths Door again for a few months. At which time I'll have completely forgotten what's going on again 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

On the last stage of the last boss on Deaths Door. And I can't seem to finish him off. It's just random boring drawn out crap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was playing the Luigi's Mansion arcade game this evening, in an arcade here in Eindhoven.

It looks grand but played a bit janky. My son assured me it looks and plays very like a sequence in the 3DS game.

Also played the world's biggest Pacman and Galaga, which was a lot of fun

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I am back into Wandersong to try and finish it off (can't remember why I put it down to begin with). I also picked up Spiderheck on Switch, but am a bit disappointed to find that movement feels slower and less responsive than on PC. Hopefully that will get addressed soon.

• Advertisement

Playing New Super Mario Bros DS on my 2DS XL.

It's like a big comfort blanket.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

That game is a complete gem.

To this day there is something very nice about playing it again on the DS Lite, colours just jumping off the screen.

Yeah I'd love to play that again for the first time. Great game!

I have 2 more areas to do in Tinykin. Payday today, so I got some Brazilian credit and bought Shovel Knight Dig, Tunic and Dorfromantik. Just over 250 BRL (€50), but I had some gold coins.

Saved about €15 over the Irish prices.

I've a few more DS carts for my 2DS XL.

Bowser's inside story, Zelda phantom hourglass which came from France and looks like a dog was chewing on it, Zelda spirit tracks. And a few prof. Layton carts.

The flip the lid to play + the 2 screens are great. I like having the separate screen for maps, stats etc.

I also got a holder for the 2ds XL which makes it really comfortable to play.

My DS collection is rather large at this stage, which makes it hard to pick one to play through properly.

Must have a look through it and get stuck in

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Playing Haiku the Robot; very stylish looking Metroidvania with an 8bit esque style. Combat's tough but not impossible while the aesthetic is definitely of the Hollow Knight style of a moribund world, on the downslope.

Someone should make a Metroidvania in a world that's perfectly fine, and not falling apart or rotting from within. Would make a change of pace lol.

Loved Haiku, fantastic game. Good size too.

I'm juggling two games.

Tunic (trying to beat first proper boss and he's hard as f***) 😊

Shovel Knight Dig. A bit more casual and good fun. Need to be careful though. If you're sloppy it can wipe out a run. Buying upgrades is key to getting further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Been playing a decent amount of overwatch (2) today and it runs far better than I was expecting. Playing on a switch lite

Yeah, I was really enjoying that game on XBox GamePass and then wham the first boss ! Ridiculous. You can skip but then it saves and you can never try again. If the first boss is so hard, what are the rest like 🤔

Why do game devs produce a brilliant game and turn away most people like this. They are doing themselves no favours.

I've given up on metroidvanias because of hard bosses (Ender Lilles and Deaths Gambit as examples) and the only boss I found difficult in Haiku was the last one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

My main complaint with Haiku hasn't been the bosses, but the slightly garbage mechanics tutorial. Maybe it was tired but I completely missed the "stamina" gauge and how that worked til I twigged how things worked. Other bits and bobs felt annoyingly under-explained. Obviously once I figured it out it was in my rearview but at the start I had some "huh?" Moments.

Also, I really hate Metroidvania games that don't put save points near boss fights. Just seems criminally unfair to die, then navigate a portion endlessly til you win. Especially if that section has dangers . Maybe that's part of the recipe but I've never liked it.

Yeah they kinda followed the Hollow Knight formula in a few ways, including figuring things out for yourself. 🙂

On a whim, I got Nier Automata over the weekend.

They should have put a warning at the start like-

"You can't save for the first 40 minutes and the first boss is a 15-minute battle against a prick who will probably kill you if you start on normal difficulty. Make sure you start on easy. You can change your difficulty later".

Yes, I had to start the game twice.

Fantastic game otherwise, though (despite that horrible design decision).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It's one of the few soundtracks I listened to after finishing the game. So good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Completed Bioshock there a few days ago... hard as nails, but I got through it somehow. Harvested the hell out of them lil' Sisters though as I needed as much Adam as I could get!

• Advertisement

Playing No Man's Sky again on Switch, so far so good, though it is still a bit of a slog through the earliest sections.

Just got ending A on Nier Automata. Fantastic game, love it. Started into the 9S playthrough straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Played Songbird Symphony for a while, first little bit was fine, nice little game but my rhythm isn't even close to good enough and the second even vaguely challenging bit is beyond me. Shame because I quite liked it.

So I've started Firewatch.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I'm very much undecided if I hate or tolerate that approach; with Hollow Knight it took a while before I realised you had to buy the worldmap. Was very close to Nope'ing out on that game early doors. And while it's entirely possible to be caused by Player Idiocy, I didn't realise for a lonnnnnng time that the shop/train robot in Haiku could be moved another station. Yes, that's right: I had been slowly schlepping across the map myself, a frustration constantly growing that there wasn't a fast-travel system. Of course, there was - the game just (apparently) chose not to outline or advertise this.

It is a good Metroidvania though in the sense that it has that moment; those couple of important items so that when you get them suddenly, maps open up so much you traverse them exponentially quicker by previously unreachable means. Usually items like double-jump, or a grapple that lets you zip-line horizontally. It's a fantastically empowering moment that's quite unique to the genre.

But, then to loop it back to Hollow Knight 'cos if its aggressively underwritten narrative: I'm just at the final boss and I'm like, does this have some True Ending bullshít? Ooooooh me no likey that (looking at you as well, Bloodstained)

If you're at The Hollow Knight himself, then sorry - there is more after that.

It is straight after that, though (assuming you have a particular weapon)

Picked up Tunic, once I realised it had some easy settings. What a beautiful game. Good Zelda clone with Souls style combat.

Just the mechanic of picking up the instruction booklet, which you then manually explore to figure out the game mechanics and secrets, is itself ingenious.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Should get to finishing Inside today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭eggy81

Got call of Juarez there in the sale for 1.99. Always meant to play it but never got around to it. Good craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Played some of the factorio demo last night. Pretty fun, controls do take a bit of getting used to but I can see the appeal to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭nedd

I tried this a few weeks ago and put it down in frustration. Difficulty jumped very quickly in first few hours. What are these easy settings you speak of?

Advertisement