Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,188 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Started Astral Chain last night. Only played to the end of the training room so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Restarted Metroid Dread after I finished Prime.

It's a lot tougher. Im at the final boss now and have died so many times.

Also started FFVII. Never finished it and tbh.... with TOTK coming out it will defintiely get put on the back burner. The combat can get frustrating, which I forgot. But the story is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition on the Switch. Just got to Valak Mountain. Still a beautiful area with lovely music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Playing a mixture of Doom and all the Johnny Turbo Data East Arcade games... I bought Sly Spy and it was so good I bought another, then another.. then said "sod it" and bought the rest.

Was becoming an addiction, but they were only €1.50 each so... ;)

Doom also works great on the Switch Lite. Any limits in visual quality aren't an issue due to the pacing and the smaller screen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Does the Johnny Arcade selection include Night Slashers?

I understand that was delisted from the EU/UK eshop.

I had to buy it from the US one, where it is still listed, last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Still in the States, not on sale.

https://eshop-prices.com/games/1551-johnny-turbo-s-arcade-night-slashers?currency=EUR

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Gave up on Breath of the Wild for a second time so playing Kirby and the Forgotten Land now, looks and plays great.

it was on sale.. I guess the sale just ended.

https://eshop-prices.com/games/1551-johnny-turbo-s-arcade-night-slashers?currency=EUR

Unfortunately no it was only available in the US :(

I guess it was considered too violent, or maybe licensing issues?

Shame Robocop isn't on there too

For my Metroidvania peeps (who are not knee deep in Hyrule right now), Afterimage is bloody phenomenal. Gigantic (30-40 hours at least, 50+ for completionists). It's gorgeous, has great music, tons and tons of secrets, challenging (but fair) combat, lots of bosses, lots of systems to learn, a big multi layer skill tree, great platforming challenges (that remind me of hollow knight) and the biggest map I have ever seen in a Metroidvania.

€25 in our eShop but under €15 for those willing to travel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Thanks @Mr E something to potentially check out, 6 months later when I'm done with TOTK 🤭

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

6 months is a little on the optimistic side

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Started Splatoon 3. Just starting the second main area of the campaign. Or third area depending on how you count them.

Played a few Turf War matches before starting the campaign. I wasn't very good.

It did seem to take a while to find a match though. Think the last one took about 2 mins. Maybe because it makes you choose the region and I was playing late enough so less people on in Europe?

Kinda burnt out on Hyrule after 200+ (fantastic) hours, so I'm back to some new roguelikes.

Doomsday Hunters puts you on a planet going from biome to biome until you beat the game. Tons of guns and upgrades, so every game can be quite different. On my 3rd game I got a gun like the BFG from Doom and I finished a run. There is lots more post game content (new 'universes' with different rules and longer/different levels) and a currency to permanently upgrade your characters with a skill tree. Good for a pick-up-and-play for 30 minutes if you want something quick. Tip: Turn off the scanlines because they make the game very muddy looking.

Ember Knights is more fantasy based with a graphic style that reminds me of Undermine (different developers though). Again, it's biome and run based, with a currency to permanently upgrade your character so you always feel like making progression. It has a few elements taken from Hades, specifically choosing a starting weapon, and a linear room based progression where rooms have multiple exits with different rewards on the doors (so you know what you will get if you beat the room).

Both are crackers (and both reviewed really well).

Splatoon 3 is tough. More the level of the Octo expansion for 2 than the previous 2 games. Or maybe I'm just not very good, which is also true.

Dunno how many lives I used in the level where had to shoot 60 targets in 60 seconds. I expect there's still worse to come.

Rainy morning so did what 10 year old me would do and got back in bed to switch on Goonies II on my NES classic.

It's actually a lot better than I remember and the music still kicks ass.

After lots of false starts in Blasphemous over the years (it just didn't click with me), I pushed through and I'm about 9 hours in. Loving it - it's a great metroidvania. Stiff challenge too.

I'm glad I checked out the conditions for the Eventide DLC though. It's very easy to screw up and lose your chance to access it.

Blasphemous 2 is a little bit on the pricey side, but I will pick it up when it's on sale.

Finished up with Blasphemous. A few optional DLC bosses to go, but I'm on 94% and finished the main (original) story. I'll go back and mop up the rest soon and get the true ending. Brilliant game overall though.

Now I'm on Sea of Stars, and that's fantastic too. I recommend turning on the relic that resets your health after each battle and gives you more health - it makes the game a little bit easier and you can just enjoy the journey, clever puzzles and exploring. You'll still die, but not as often as you would with the default setup.

Gunbrella should be playable today too.

Great time to be a Switch owner. 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭smokingman

Ah lads. 99 player F-Zero is a blast!

Free download too...which is nice

• Advertisement

is it free if you're not on Nintendo Direct?

Can you play against AI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭smokingman

Sorry, free with the pass membership.

Don't think you can play with AI but there's no lack of players right now

Finished Sea of Stars this morning (regular ending). Took 40 hours in total. There is more to do (and a final boss fight) to get the true ending, so I still have a way to go.

I think it's my game of the year (even above TOTK).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Gave up on Tears of the Kingdom have started Pokémon Violet new save file this morning gonna try see if it's worth buying the dlc at the weekend

This kinda came out of nowhere. Watched a trailer yesterday and had to get it. Wall World is a Rogue Lite game where you pilot a giant robot spider up (or down) a massive vertical wall to try and reach the end. Along the way are cracks on the wall where the robot spider's pilot can get out and mine for currency to upgrade things, both in game and permanently after each run. The mining bit scratches a Steamworld Dig itch that hasn't been scratched for a few years, and the progression system means you get a bit stronger after each run.

Not out in Europe for another 3 weeks, but if you have a USA/Brazil account, you can grab it. Only about a tenner so it's not going to break the bank!

For what it's worth, it's Overwhelmingly Positive (9/10) on Steam from thousands of reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Len_007

I’ve derived great joy playing Diddy Kong Racing on the DS recently. I spotted it in my local CEX for €15 & it was an insta buy. Mint condition, it even had the original Nintendo VIP scratch panel untouched!

It does feel smaller than the original, & the D pad is no match for analogue control. But, it does preserve a lot from the original imo. The soundtrack is great, track design is decent, & it hits me with the Christmas feels as I was playing it this time of year when originally released.

The Rare aul times eh?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yes, the snow levels have such a strong Christmassy holiday vibe, another game I have to go and play this evening!

Finished this last night. Great game, but it's weirdly a one and done kind of game.

Once you beat the final boss, you can't finish the game again, bosses never reappear and you can just play a kind of endless mode and finish the upgrades. I thought the game was bugged and even tried to restart it to see if the bosses came back.

About 12-15 hours to do everything.

8/10 for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

How are you playing it; I checked the E-Store and it's only due out on the 19th? 🤔

• Advertisement

@pixelburp It came out in the Americas at the start of the month.

I got it in Brazil.

I got my money's worth from the €9 I spend on it!

Advertisement