Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Bayonetta wrote:
    "Good to know some of you are keeping your part of the contract."
    <giant spectral fistbump>
    This game never fails to raise a big goofy grin. I really hope the Ninty-Platinum partnership isn't a one-off, they seem to get the Nintendo ethos of "Games should be fun first" while bringing a kind of adolescent appeal that has thus far eluded the big N.

Edit : okay, I've been playing this too long. The plot is starting to make sense... Disappointed that the cut scene after I whipped Prophet good made it look like I'd broken a sweat. Delighted that I'm getting the hang of chaining witch time against a psychotic dentist drill. Frustrated that I can make far more halos losing a bout of tag climax to the CPU than I can winning a level of story mode. Dear lord, this game is fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Finished Super Mario RPG tonight. What a wonderful, witty, gleeful, goofy game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Finished Super Mario RPG tonight. What a wonderful, witty, gleeful, goofy game.

I have it for the SNES and never played past the introduction :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

chrislad wrote: »
    Did you collect everything? EVERYthing!

Stupid crystals. Gratitude my arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Started Windwaker HD tonight. What a ridiculously good looking game. Gorgeous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

iamtony wrote: »
    Still stuck on Mario Galaxy 2 I'm 43 hour in and ive 110 stars and once I get 120 I'm moving onto something easy like one of those demon soul games to get a break then I'll go back for the greeny's.
    Seriously thought is it just me or should these not be rated as the most difficult games ever. I've played my fair share of games but this is so freckin hard. I've used like 30 or 40 lives on one level many times.
    Just laughing to my self 2 weeks later and I got my 120 stars and I went for first green star I don't know if I can do it all again just to get one Galaxy ive too many other games to get stuck into. Think I'll come back too it.

Mr E wrote: »

Any time I play it I just sit there and stare at it for a while. Just so lovely to look at.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

After a year of playing the shagging thing I have finally beaten the level 2 boss of Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze on the WiiU.
    Dark Souls 2 has nothing on this blasted game!
    It looks like its for kids but it was created by beings of pure evil!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Mr E wrote: »

I wish I could find that game for a reasonable price.

I wish I could find that game for a reasonable price.

Getting it for free when I bought Mario Kart 8 was probably the best deal ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    After a year of playing the shagging thing I have finally beaten the level 2 boss of Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze on the WiiU.

Oh no, really ? I'm not long started it and haven't met any bosses yet but do I want to progress knowing I'll eventually be bashing my head off the walls ?

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

Dark Souls 2 has nothing on this blasted game!
    It looks like its for kids but it was created by beings of pure evil!

It's amazing how difficult it is..........much harder than the first game on the Wii

I spent about an hour on the first boss.......it's a long stretch from jumping on a gopher or pink flamingo 3 times like in the snes days!

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Oh no, really ? I'm not long started it and haven't met any bosses yet but do I want to progress knowing I'll eventually be bashing my head off the walls ?

Persistence and pattern learning are your friend.
    It actually has a lot of similarities with Dark Souls and it's ilk, rather than the more modern boss approach, which is to say shoot the glowing spot until it's dead.
    No, DKC:TF asks you to work for your supper, lots of well timed jumping, stomping and ducking, and that's just the other people in the room as you threaten to throw the controller in frustration!
    In truth though it's such a good looking game, and isn't treating the player as a moron to be cosseted through the game to it's conclusion.

bkrangle wrote: »
    It's amazing how difficult it is..........much harder than the first game on the Wii

I spent about an hour on the first boss.......it's a long stretch from jumping on a gopher or pink flamingo 3 times like in the snes days!

I have the Wii game alright, as well as the GC titles too, not to mention that range of Snes and handheld releases.
    Really, the only really bad spots in the franchise have been the pointless DK Race, they removed the whole point, the bongo controls and replaced them with Wiimote and Nunchuck waggling, not as much fun at all, and the other was DK64, a dreadful game.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

and the other was DK64, a dreadful game.

I still have flashbacks to the DK rap on occasions!
    My sisters loved that game on release and spent an age playing it.
    I remember the boss battles being ok but the whole collect a million different items nature of the gameplay meant it got tedious very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

ThisRegard wrote: »

It's never unfairly difficult. You always think it is your own fault and strive to do better on the next go.

abbir wrote: »
    It's never unfairly difficult. You always think it is your own fault and strive to do better on the next go.

But
    So
    Many
    Goes!

I was singing the DK Rap to my kids the other night as their bed time song. They are big fans (to the degree that they screamed "DK! DONKEY KONG!" in their nana's face instead of saying goodbye on their last visit) but upset that I can't remember the name of the orangutan with the stretchy arms...

anyway - Monster Hunter. Oh god yes. I'd forgotten just how fulfilling it can be to scrounge up a few whetstones, steaks and potions and head into the unknown for a long, drawn out Boss fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Banjo wrote: »
    ...upset that I can't remember the name of the orangutan with the stretchy arms...

That'd be "Lanky Kong" I believe!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Star Lord wrote: »
    That'd be "Lanky Kong" I believe!

Probably a politically incorrect term nowadays :P

• Advertisement

Ginger Minger Kong?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Banjo wrote: »
    anyway - Monster Hunter. Oh god yes. I'd forgotten just how fulfilling it can be to scrounge up a few whetstones, steaks and potions and head into the unknown for a long, drawn out Boss fight.

Amen to that! The boss fights are fabulous. It's weird how even just gathering/mining can be so addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

These last few posts gave me the itch to give Tropical Freeze another go. It really is brilliant. Difficult yes, but as mentioned above every mistake is mine and mine alone.

I've just finished world five and have noticed that the difficulty spikes are sometimes remedied by more intuitive levels where you can almost glide through with a bit of finesse.

In truth it leads you into a false sense of security as the next batch of awkward spike pits are never far away.

At the end I always find myself sitting two feet closer to the TV than when I started which is odd.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Amen to that! The boss fights are fabulous. It's weird how even just gathering/mining can be so addictive.

Well, its the necessity of making sure you're covered. Grinding a node for herbs or iron while keeping one eye open for a rogue G. Jaggi is more exciting than it has any right to be.

Tying in with the Donkey Kong theme, took down my first Kecha Wacha earlier. A big, cute monkey elephant that plays peekaboo with you before trying to tear your face off and drown you in mucus. It was... Different :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭marko93

Started a Nuzlocke playthrough of Fire Red.

Were-the-Millers-No-Ragrets-Tattoo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Boxboy came out after the Direct presentation the other night and it's a cracking little puzzle game....

I played the first 6 worlds (about 35 levels) last night and there were some good headscratchers in there. Great little game and excellent value for a fiver. Over 20 worlds too (150 levels) and some extra modes, so there is tons of content.

I finished Bravely Default today. Best RPG I've played in a while. Really strong in a whole host of ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Tank! Tank! Tank! !

Best bit is the picture taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Pac1Man wrote: »

I've just finished world five and have noticed that the difficulty spikes are sometimes remedied by more intuitive levels where you can almost glide through with a bit of finesse.

Bopopolis, one of the unlockable levels/collect-a-thon rewards, is manifesto for this. It is legit one of my favourite things in gaming ever. The platforming gels in with the rhythm of the backing track, like a lot of DK stuff, but ramps it up a bit, and, truly, had goosebumps as it all came together.

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Tank! Tank! Tank! !

Best bit is the picture taking.

Of it had of had online multiplayer that game would have been brilliant.
    Instead it feels to slight to be anything other than a free download.

Advertisement