Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you playing, Nintendo edition.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Roark

I've just started:

Resident Evil Revelations on the 3DS

and

Mario Kart 8 on my brand spanking new Wii U ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Luigi U, now that is the equivalent of performing brain surgery with an Olympic standard bow and arrow.
    But the regular NSMBU game isn't a walk over, though the original certainly was on the DS.

Luigi U is delicious in its trolling. There's a shortcut in the first castle, the mini-boss, in NSMB-U, if you try to take the same way in Luigi U, you get clocked with a flamethrower thingy. It'd be bad design in any other instance, but it's just a straight-up lesson in 'seriously, lad, don't even try play this like NSMB'.

Absolutely in love with Luigi U, fitting tribute to perennial players twos the world over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

using a star with the magic mushroom after hitting a boast whilst doing a jump trick in mario kart 200cc should come with a health warning.
    'Warning may rip a hole in the fabric of reality'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The 200cc really is brilliant though. I play mario kart for the chaos and unpredictability and that has been lacking since the tracks have been widened and we lost the two drivers.
    The speed increase has brought some of that back, it's almost like Mad Max Fury Road now. Obviously ten times more insane.
    The excite bike track was the first we did last night. I picked a light driver and bike and just took off at the first ramp and covered half the track in a jump.
    We were falling off places we didn't think it was possible.
    I can't think of a better update for a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Just finished Hyrule Warriors. It's by no means a great game but mowing down thousands of enemies with the Master Sword is extremely satisfying. The Zelda coat of paint really helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Just finished Hyrule Warriors. It's by no means a great game but mowing down thousands of enemies with the Master Sword is extremely satisfying. The Zelda coat of paint really helps.

Finished the story mode, or finished finished? The DLC adds so much content is unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Star Lord wrote: »
    Finished the story mode, or finished finished? The DLC adds so much content is unbelievable!

The story mode. Finished finished will take sooooo much longer. Certainly can't say the game lacks content.

Can be frustrating trying to unlock areas/weapons/costumes at times when you keep taking a fraction too much damage and miss out on the A rank by this much *makes tiny gap between finger and thumb*
    but overall, it's immensely enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Started playing Batman : Arkham Origins.
    2nd worst bossfight ever. I Bat-glide into the middle of an arena of death, Penguin's goons jeering me from the rafters. Feared assassin The Electrocutioner begins powering up his armour and making a pre-rendered speech about how much pain he's going to bring. I regain control of the Batman - let the epic battle commence!

Except the first thing I do is jump over his head, which instantly triggers a video showing me knocking him out. It took 1/2 a second of input from me. Pointless.

(The reason this doesn't get the no.1 spot is that at least he's just a mid level early game dude. I remember facing off against the final boss in Jedi Outcast (the dinosaur in a spacesuit), my opening gambit was throwing my saber at him but I missed. It hit the pillar behind him and that fell over, crushing him. Fight over in about 2 seconds, credits roll. I must have tried to repeat that move 20 times, but I could never make it happen on purpose)

Anyway, it's a really cheap game to buy, but it feels cheap. Level design feels very clunky - you don't get drawn along, you feel herded down the corridors. The story doesn't have the same urgency or drama as the previous two. It's pretty, but I dunno, it feels like it was phoned in. It pains me to say it but I was having more fun with Assassin's Creed Black Flag.

That fight is deliberately like that though, there are some good fights in that game, and some ridiculously cheap-shot ones. (I'm looking at you, Copperhead)

The game is a poor copy of the other Arkham games, but at least story-wise it's interesting enough to keep it engaging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,096 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah I got Origins on PC and once the bugs were fixed, I enjoyed it. Think the combat with the street level thugs was the only thing that annoyed. It became very slow and repetitive. Became more of a chore than anything.

Think
    Deathstroke
    was the one that beat me the most

That one was tough, but not unfairly so.

The one I'm referring to:
    Copperhead has that thing where there's multiples of her, and it's tough to find the real one to hit her, and if you do the wrong one, the real one attacks and you can't really stop her. The only ways to beat her without getting savaged felt decidedly un-Batman-like.

Oh I remember her. Think she beat me a couple times, but I think once I got the hang of it, I was grand.

Funny thing about the games is that with all the work that goes into the art design and all, I don't see it for long, being in Detective Mode most of the time. :)

I broke myself out of that in Arkham City, only flicking it on occasionally for a quick scan round, then back to regular vision!

It's what Batman would do. ;)

Yeah I think I broke out of it as well. I do recall seeing a lot of Origins in normal vision. Was like playing Metroid Prime all over again, constantly scanning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Pretty quite around here these days, guess everyone is playing splatoon lol.

So I FINALLY got around to properly starting LEGO City on the WiiU. My God it's fantastic! So funny, like, actually funny, not American blah funny. Love driving around in the little Lego cars, brings me right back.

Did it sell well at the time? Wonder if they will do a sequel to it. But seeing as that money grab Deminsions will be out at Xmas, I guess that's never gonna happen :(

well, there's always a chance that Chase McCain and Frank Honey will return as a €25 euro add-on pack for Dimensions that can only be played on "compupers".

Banjo wrote: »
    well, there's always a chance that Chase McCain and Frank Honey will return as a €25 euro add-on pack for Dimensions that can only be played on "compupers".

Lol 'compupers'.

Yeah most likely they will do something like that. But I won't be buying any of the 'dimensions' games. I might give Lego Batman 2 a shot after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Lego City seems expensive.... where is the best place to buy it?

It wasn't on my radar, but I just looked at a trailer. :)

I got mine on Amazon last year for £30 in the box, I have never seen it any cheaper than that anywhere. I just thought sure I've waited a year and the price has gone up in some cases so I just bit the bullet and paid full price for it.

But it's worth it.

Only downside of Lego City is that the long screens are LOOOONG, like 60seconds(ish) but you kinda forget about that.

I'm gonna look into getting the 3ds prequel too.

http://www.gameseek.co.uk/pd/VideoGamesy9efxska9r/Lego-City-Undercover £33 before post but it's £49 on Amazon atm

• Advertisement

Lego Batman 2 on the 3DS is disappointing, even for the €5 I paid for it - but on the WiiU I think you get a Gotham City to drive around which would make it more interesting. Definitely get Lego Marvel Superheroes on Wii U. It's great fun.
    (Until LGF - lego game fatigue - kicks in. They're all essentially the same game of simple fight - smash stuff - collect - repeat)

Lego City can be had for €25 in HMV if you can find it. Less if it's Sale Stickered.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Yoshi's Woolly World is so incredibly beautiful! Game play is similar to kirby's yarn adventure, which I also loved, but with gorgeous Wii-U graphics and a tiny Woolly friend to sit on my lap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

I almost bought it in town earlier but it was so bloody hot out, the idea of sitting inside my living room playing games made me ill. Now here I am with my laptop cooking on my legs, I wish I just bought it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

So I FINALLY got around to properly starting LEGO City on the WiiU. My God it's fantastic! So funny, like, actually funny, not American blah funny. Love driving around in the little Lego cars, brings me right back.

I was surprised at the references in it: Dirty Harrry, Cagney and Lacey, Starsky and Hutch. Who says the Lego games are aimed only at kids!

Load times are a pain but it felt the best for exploration, the only Lego game I wanted to try 100% in.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    I was surprised at the references in it: Dirty Harrry, Cagney and Lacey, Starsky and Hutch. Who says the Lego games are aimed only at kids!

Load times are a pain but it felt the best for exploration, the only Lego game I wanted to try 100% in.

Yeah there are so many references in it! And I saw my first Mario ?block and one of those red fish too (can't remember their name atm) last night. I'm now an astronaut :)

Also started splatoon last night, level 7, not sure of I love it or think it's only alright just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

You can die happy once you come across the Shawshank reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Pac1Man wrote: »
    You can die happy once you come across the Shawshank reference.

...or the matrix one :)

smokingman wrote: »
    ...or the matrix one :)

You've got me there. :confused: I probably haven't reached that one yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Pac1Man wrote: »
    You've got me there. :confused: I probably haven't reached that one yet.
    Where you learn Kung Fu

• Advertisement

Ah such a tease! I don't know whether to highlight it or not. :D

Advertisement